PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we still draft CB in Rd 1 with Samuel being franchised?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seymour93

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Let's assume that nothing happens and Samuel stays around for another year on the tag. Do we go into the draft ignoring CB's now? Or are they still a top priority?

IMO, we switch to safety. Nelson and Meriweather are looking better and better.

Wilson is the wildcard here. We can't rely on him to revert to old form and Hawkins is only adequate. Sanders has potential at SS. I'd give him another year before I'd make a final judgement.

stole my post....i think they want him longterm....i say draft LB,WR,S,RB this year...in that order...

stole my post....i think they want him longterm....i say draft LB,WR,S,RB this year...in that order...

Spencer and Meachem in the first round plus someone like Josh Gattis or Michael Johnson in the 2nd would be an excellent draft.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I've been assuming all along that Samuel would be franchised so this doesn't change much. A long-term deal might sway me, but not significantly -- even with Samuel the cornerback corps is hardly deep. If a Darrelle Revis is there at 24, the team could find plenty of use for him.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I've been assuming all along that Samuel would be franchised so this doesn't change much. A long-term deal might sway me, but not significantly -- even with Samuel the cornerback corps is hardly deep. If a Darrelle Revis is there at 24, the team could find plenty of use for him.

Same here. Assuming we don't trade up or down I've liked Revis or Nelson at 24 depending on which on is still on the board. If neither is then I can see us going a lot of different directions.

I agree, a long-term deal would make me feel better but at least with the Franchise tag in place (and the assumption he plays for the Pats in 2007) it really opens up the draft to BPA (not that they weren't going to do that anyway).

With Samuel on the roster my scientific spreadsheet rates CB as Good, without him the unit is rated as Dire Need. Other assumptions, Randall Gay comes back. With Samuel, Hobbs, Scott and Gay we could:
- draft a player on Day 1 to provide some longer term continuity
- draft a player on Day 2 and bring in a JAG, if the JAG wins the draftee goes to the PS

This was a key move in defining the 2007 roster, opens up a lot of options.

Now onto to LB and WR...

I agree with you I don't think you can have enough good corners especially with the injury history that our secondary has experienced.

i dont think a 1st rounder is needed, i think a 2nd-4th round pick would work fine, wasnt samuel a 4th round pick??

Let's assume that nothing happens and Samuel stays around for another year on the tag. Do we go into the draft ignoring CB's now? Or are they still a top priority?

CB ought to be included among our list of needs -- even with Samuel on board. It's o.k. to be hopeful that Samuel will sign long-term (and there will not be any clues until it actually happens)...but even still, CB is not a position of strength. Beyond Hobbs and Samuel is Blue (whom I really like), but he is somewhat fragile. If Samuel departs, having a Revis ready the following season would be a very wise move. If Samuel stays, we'd have a secondary loaded with 'ball skills'. So no, drafting a CB in round one would not be a luxury.

IMO, we switch to safety. Nelson and Meriweather are looking better and better.
Nelson for sure. Doubt Meriweather's character is worth the first pick -- but maybe that's just my opinion.

Wilson is the wildcard here. We can't rely on him to revert to old form and Hawkins is only adequate. Sanders has potential at SS. I'd give him another year before I'd make a final judgement.
Wilson and Sanders fall under the season-ending player evaluations category. Wilson's play has declined, so the Pats brass will determine why. Sanders is solid and Hawk is an adequate fill-in. None of the three is a playmaker. And smart defenses do not field a secondary minus a playmaker at the Safety position. You're correct, Wilson' evaluation is key.

It's easier for fans to find the draft prospects who seem like they fit the Pats MO. But in terms of evaluating the current roster, and what our true needs are -- THAT is far more difficult to accurately predict.

1) I don't expect Samuel to play for the patriots in 2007; at most he would play 7 games.

2) We need to draft the corner of the future. Unless Samuel signs a long-term deal, he is not that corner.

3) The draft is the best place to get future corners (and lock them up for 5-6 years).

CONCLUSION
We'll draft a corner in the first round to lock him up for 5-6 years.

A good question. My feeling/hope is with several needs we draft based on who's the best player/fit that falls to us. It could be a CB, S or LB. At this point we could also throw in WR.

what about if he Calvin johnson falls to the browns we use assante and our first as trade bait to pull the best player of the 07 draft?

1) I don't expect Samuel to play for the patriots in 2007; at most he would play 7 games.

You really think he'll hold out? $7.79m, possibly more, that's a lot to turn down for a guy who's played throughout his career on a 4th round rookie contract. I'm not sure if we still have to pay all of the $7.79m if he doesn't show until late on. Weren't they planning on taking Branch to arbitration before the trade (sorry, I'm really bad on contracts/financial aspect of the game) ?

what about if he Calvin johnson falls to the browns we use assante and our first as trade bait to pull the best player of the 07 draft?

I'd rather keep Asante TBH. If he leaves we're relying on a fresh out of college CB to help fill the gap. Also Calvin Johnson will command a bigger contract than Asante due to his draft position, so it defeats the purpose of not paying Asante really. CB being more valuable than WR is what it comes down to.

ofcourse draft another cornerback.....we need to depth in the cb's....Asante might be traded or just play for a year....either way draft a 1st day pick....no-brainer

I think cb value is in rd 2 with alot of quality players who can eventually become starters. Davis, Irons, Wade, Bennett, even McCauley could spend a year as nickel/dime players and then become RCBs when Samuel is dealt next season, and Hobbs moved to LCB. The difference between a rd 1 and rd 2 player is usually more about the ability to impact quickly than longterm potential. For example, there are few players in the draft with as much longterm potential as Marcus McCauley, but he is not a finished product and needs time to develop. Since the Pats already have 2 quality cbs for 2007, they can afford to wait till rd 2 and nurture a young player an extra year.

Curse that Bill Belichick for always drafting for value, but from a need perspective, I'd want a linebacker first regardless. Then it is a toss up between CB and WR, definitely leaning CB, if Asante leaves.

2) We need to draft the corner of the future. Unless Samuel signs a long-term deal, he is not that corner.

3) The draft is the best place to get future corners (and lock them up for 5-6 years).

CONCLUSION
We'll draft a corner in the first round to lock him up for 5-6 years.

I agree, do not see the Pats paying him 7.79 million, the franchise tag is merely to buy time and allow things to settle down a little bit.. Maybe they trade him, or there is a break in negotiations.. the scenario posted by Mgteich is much more feasible.

Depends who is available. Personally I want to see a CB and safety drafted in round 1. Although I must admit, I can't keep my mind off of Bowe at WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes