PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OLB, DE, CB, RB, still top priorities

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about some tackles conversions...
Ben Ijalana, Villanova - Small school competition (see Ducasse, Vlad inactive for Jets)

Wes Bunting and Greg Gabriel (fomer Director of College Scouting for the Chicago Bears) were talking alot about Ijalana during their recent podcast. Bunting thinks that Ijalana will have to move to left guard because of his height while Gabriel thinks that Ijalana could play left tackle in the NFL since he is very athletic and has really long arms. Gabriel also mentioned that some teams prefer smaller left tackles, because they can play with better leverage and bend better than 6 foot 6, 6 goot 7 guys.

Wes Bunting and Greg Gabriel (fomer Director of College Scouting for the Chicago Bears) were talking alot about Ijalana during their recent podcast. Bunting thinks that Ijalana will have to move to left guard because of his height while Gabriel thinks that Ijalana could play left tackle in the NFL since he is very athletic and has really long arms. Gabriel also mentioned that some teams prefer smaller left tackles, because they can play with better leverage and bend better than 6 foot 6, 6 goot 7 guys.

Really hard to see BB taking a small school kid very high int he draft.

It is near impossible to get any meaningful tape on this kid.

Nova has been on TV a few times recently. Each time I've watched him, I've seen an extremely athletic kid who can really, really move well. He's raw and his technique is only adequate, but he he is slightly heavier than Matt Light, and probably a better athlete. I wouldn't be opposed to spending a second on him, considering he'd have a year or two to develop.

From 2002-2010 OL drafted by NE in rounds 1-3 have come from mid-majors:
Mankins - Fresno State (WAC)
Vollmer - Houston (C-USA)
Kaczur - Toledo (MAC)

BCS draft picks who stuck came Day Three.

Just something to ponder.

FWIW, Ijalana played far tougher competition than Veldheer last year. I'd love to see him get a Dante personal workout like Vollmer got.

But...intriguing as he is, he's obviously not an immediate answer, and the Patriots already have an athletic project in Maneri.

I do think the OL needs some attention, especially the interior spots, but since there aren't a lot of great prospects, does that make re-signing Mankins more of a priority? Then you could take a few shots at the back end of the draft and hope Dante can coach them up. Koppen was a 5th rounder, Connolly and Neal both UDFAs. I think Light will re-sign, and Kaczur will be back, though we haven't seen him play any meaningful games at G so can't assume it'll be an easy transition for him.

If there is one priority, I'd want an elite DE who could impact the game like Seymour. That would make life easier for the rest of the front 7, improving a lot of different areas. A stud OLB to complement Cunningham would be great, but maybe not as significant as a DE.

We might be in trouble at RB if Lawfirm were injured, but I can't imagine spending one of our first 3 picks on an insurance policy RB. Maybe we take one with our second 2nd or later on.

FWIW, Ijalana played far tougher competition than Veldheer last year. I'd love to see him get a Dante personal workout like Vollmer got.

But...intriguing as he is, he's obviously not an immediate answer, and the Patriots already have an athletic project in Maneri.

Vollmer got a personal workout because he excelled in a zone blocking scheme very similar to what the Patriots use.

I have not seen nova play so I do not know what system they are using. If it is a zone blocking scheme, then maybe Dante will come calling.

Bottom line is that whenever BB has drafted O line early from mid majors, it is because they excelled in a variation of the zone blocking scheme and BB could project them very easily into ours.

Given these factors, I can see the Pats sitting still with their picks and letting the draft come to them in the first 33. Then try to manipulate their late 2nd, both 3rds and their 4th into a couple of targeted guys in the 2nd round.

The way the draft is set up combined with the way the Pats roster is currently constituted, this looks like the year to get elite talent (regardless of position) and stack the top of the roster. If that happens to be on defense (pass rush or coverage), great. If that happens to be on offense (WR or RB), that is fine as well. As long as whatever player they get has the right football IQ and skills significantly above what is currently on the roster. Outside of QB, TE, NT and ILB, all the other positions should be in play.

If this turns out to be a top heavy but shallow draft as you predict then I agree with your reasoning. The Pats have thrived in the past two drafts by stocking up on 2nd rounders and getting excellent value for their pick position. Then again our best selection from the past two drafts is arguably McCourty who is a 1st round pick. So you just can't argue away the value of 1st round picks. Particularly with the Pats relative success ratio with those picks.

I would be really happy if the Pats could come away with 2-3 studs in the 2011 draft. They are in excellent position and have the draft stockpile to maneuver to get exactly the players they want. Look for BB to wheel and deal as usual if he can find any extra value or if there's a guy he likes. I wouldn't be surprised if we made a slight upward move if a potential stud like Heyward is available but might be scooped ahead of us.

PS It's too bad we didn't put a flyer out on Selvish Capers (7th round pick). The draft doesn't seem that strong for OTs this year but usually there is one or two diamonds in the rough that can be scooped if you have the right scouting.

Last edited:
OLB, DE, OG, S, RB, OT, WR in that order.

PS It's too bad we didn't put a flyer out on Selvish Capers (7th round pick). The draft doesn't seem that strong for OTs this year but usually there is one or two diamonds in the rough that can be scooped if you have the right scouting.

The funny thing about this is that Capers isn't on a 53-man roster...while the OT the Pats did take a flyer in the 7th on is!

Last edited:
OLB, DE, OG, S, RB, OT, WR in that order.

I almost right there with ya, TC..................

DE, OLB, C/G, FS, WR, RB

But my order is contingent on resigning Light and Mankins. I would be thrilled to see Neal go one more year but I don't think he will.....

I almost right there with ya, TC..................

DE, OLB, C/G, FS, WR, RB

But my order is contingent on resigning Light and Mankins. I would be thrilled to see Neal go one more year but I don't think he will.....

Mankins should be priority number one but who knows what will happen. Connoly will probably take one spot and like you I don't think Neal is returning. If we get a deal done with Mankins you can drop G off but then center becomes the next issue. OT depth is iffy and Lights replacement is a possibility within the first 4 picks. DE, OLB, WR, and C/G/T are probably the first four picks.

Mankins should be priority number one but who knows what will happen. Connoly will probably take one spot and like you I don't think Neal is returning. If we get a deal done with Mankins you can drop G off but then center becomes the next issue. OT depth is iffy and Lights replacement is a possibility within the first 4 picks. DE, OLB, WR, and C/G/T are probably the first four picks.

110% agree with this ...............

If we resign all key players discussed I set my draft order as DE/OlB, C/G the two critical positions to draft well at.

A lot of people would like to tell you the OLine needs upgrading. What games have you been watching this year? We have one of the best, if not, THE best Offensive Line in the NFL.

We need to re-sign Light. It shouldnt be hard. He's a team captain and good personality. Seems to love playing for the Pats. Will probably take a home town discount.

Vollmer on the other side has been amazing and could shift over to LT if Light somehow gets away.

O Callahan has played well at both LG and RG.

Mankins could still re-sign and I think he will. We have the money to re-sign him and are a perennial Playoff contender with a great coach and system that he's obviously thrived in. Worst case scenerio, he gets franchised and traded for a 1st-2nd rounder and we use that pick on the best OLineman available.

If we keep our current group intact, then we don't need to touch the OLine.

The O-line isn't fine. Not sure what games you've been watching, but they've given up 24 sacks through 14 games and 9 in the last 3 games.

O'Callaghan has been gone for 2 years. He's the starting RT for the Chiefs.. I believe you mean CONNOLLY. And Connolly wasn't as good at LG as many people thought. He's much better at RG.

I actually expect the Pats to pick an OT, OG and OC this year. Especially with Kaczur on the wrong side of 30, LeVoir having regressed and Ojinnaka being barely usable. Wendell proved again that he's a poor man's Russ Hochstein when he replaced Connolly in the Packers game.
Koppen has continued is slide and I believe he's just about done.

RB is fine right now but needs depth. I cant see Taylor in a Pats uniform next year. What happens if LawFirm gets injured? That's the issue we need to address. Unfortunately this isnt a good draft for RB's and has almost no 1st rd talent at the position. We'll need to look for another diamond in the rough somewhere in the mid-rounds. Afterall, our 1st rounder Maroney was a huge disappointment while our UDFA BJGE turned out to be a stud. I don't think BB is worrying about finding another RB with the first few 3 picks, but it's something they will take a close look at in the late-2nd to late 3rd.

I agree with most of what you say here. However, there are going to be quite a few decent RBs available as free agents. The Pats only have BJGE (ERFA) and Woodhead on the roster for next season, unless the 2 men on the Reserve/Military list come back. Michael Bush, Cedric Benson, Jerome Harrison, and Mike Tolbert are just a few that could be considered.

Also, while the seniors may not have the talent at RB, there are numerous juniors rumored to be declaring, including Mark Ingram. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats looked the 7th round/UDFA route for a back-up RB or two.

CB is another issue in todays pass happy league. McCourty is already seeming like a Pro Bowler. However Bodden is coming off a bad injury and might not be his old self. Butler has been a disappointment and I just cant see him turning it around and being another more than a Nickle CB. Arrington has played well but could probably be upgraded.
So what if a top notch CB falls in the draft and lands right in our hands? If Amukamara or Brandon Harris are still there when we pick, dont be surprised if BB pulls the trigger. We need lots of good CBs for elite passing teams like the Colts, Packers, Saints, etc.

Bodden's injury was not "bad" as you put it. It's not like it was an ACL injury or anything. It was his shoulder. He is still better than Arrington or Butler. That being said, Arrington and Butler have both improved since the start of the season. As had Wilhite.. They also have Tony Carter and Thad Turner. I just don't see CB as being an issue that the Pats will address in the draft. They may bring in a UDFA or two or a street FA, but I don't see them doing more than that.

Safety is fine. Even if Meriweather if gone via Free Agency, we have enough depth that we probably won't need to draft another Safety.

Meriweather isn't a free agent, so I'm not sure how he could be gone. Jarrad Page and Brandon McGowan are UFAs. Both of them could be gone. That would leave the Pats with Chung, Meriweather, Sanders, Brown, Lockett, and Barrett. Lockett has shown amazing talent on Special teams. Barrett we know almost nothing about except that he is, like Lockett, injury prone. There is much talk amongst the fans of Meriweather being traded.

One of the things that people have forgotten is that, according to Harrison, BB likes his Safeties to be interchangable. In other words, not a FS/SS but a S1 and S2. That way he can help disguise the defense they are calling. Safety, though, is kinda weak in this draft, unless some juniors declare. I wouldn't be surprised to see BB look in the middle rounds for a safety prospect that could replace both Barrett and or Lockett. Tejay Johnson could be that sort of player..

I would love to see J.J Watt declare for the draft.He would be perfect in new england.Grab the OL with the patriots first round pick.I would take Jeremy Beal with the carolina pick.We need to load up on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back