PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Discuss the defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
And since we're talking defense I'm very happy with Ebner's evolution into the game more but wonder if that will become impacted once Browner comes back. Do they overlap and share a similar defensive role or does Browner start over Dennard (health)/ Ryan who is playing very well opposite Revis.

Then have a football conversation with me instead of throwing small suttle comments about how "pointless" it would be to have a conversation with me.

Fact is 100% of anything is stupid, lets just get that out there. My problem is that he is playing more zone than man and if its going to be 60-40 split then shouldnt it be 60-40 man to zone? Under Revis own admission that they are playing more prevent than "aggressive"

What they play depends upon the opponent. They are currently ranked #1 in pass defense and #3 in points allowed.
Revis did not say they are playing more prevent than aggressive. Thats what I mean, you throw things like that in there and its hard to have a fruitful discussion.

What they play depends upon the opponent. They are currently ranked #1 in pass defense and #3 in points allowed.
Revis did not say they are playing more prevent than aggressive. Thats what I mean, you throw things like that in there and its hard to have a fruitful discussion.

maybe it's not him

Right, and thats what sort of bothered me. He missed time so he sort of hoped to have him out there by midseason? Either way I'm just glad he changed his mind and allowed the players play to dictate if he sees the field.

He always does that. BB states goals, and keeps them private between the players and coaches, so he can adjust to reality.

That's a reason he provides so little information on injuries and expected returns. Some recoveries are quicker and others longer than what is "average" or "expected". He doesn't want to push or leave the malingering impression. Injury recovery "is what it is" in every case.

I'm not too well versed in defensive fronts, but I thought I saw the Patriots often in what looked like a strange 2-5 alignment (2 down linemen, 5 DL/LB standing up). Is there such a thing? Or am I mistaking it for something else, like say a 4-3?

What you saw was a straight-up 4-3 where Nink and Jones just happened to be standing-up and the Sam (Hightower) was back off the line, where he could help more with inside runs.

He always does that. BB states goals, and keeps them private between the players and coaches, so he can adjust to reality.

That's a reason he provides so little information on injuries and expected returns. Some recoveries are quicker and others longer than what is "average" or "expected". He doesn't want to push or leave the malingering impression. Injury recovery "is what it is" in every case.

I think it was in "Education of a Coach" where the biographer wrote about BB's obsession w/information... maybe I read it somewhere else.

Basically the theory is if you have information about rosters, draft grades, anything else -- and this is league wide -- that information has value. So you don't give that away for free, or so goes the BB mindset.

That's why it's strange to me when I listen to drive-time radio sometimes and hear the big-name players from an NFL team interviewed, and they lay out (supposedly) the game plan for the coming week. (We're going to get pressure on _____ and depend on that pressure and see if he can throw against blitzes and see if he can beat us. If he can, then we'll...)

I always assume that's just basic on most teams, and some are just less restrictive about what gets said in the press.

If I understand correctly, our secondary is performing well enough for our poster non-experts. What a much of crap. In any case, our secondary will hopefully add Browner and Dennard soon.

No, we have not lost any games because of the play of our secondary, and we are unlikely to anytime soon.

IMHO, our defense is considerably better than last year. We don't know how much better than being a top 10 defense they are. Having Wilfork and Mayo back is great.

If I understand correctly, our secondary is performing well enough for our poster non-experts. What a much of crap. In any case, our secondary will hopefully add Browner and Dennard soon.

No, we have not lost any games because of the play of our secondary, and we are unlikely to anytime soon.

IMHO, our defense is considerably better than last year. We don't know how much better than being a top 10 defense they are. Having Wilfork and Mayo back is great.

It looks great so far. Having Browner and Dennard in there will make it even more advantage to take on match ups.

Btw what are people seeing about Revis that they don't like? 8 catches on 16 targets for a whopping 103 yards is not bad the last time I checked. That is in 3 games, we've had corners that have allowed that in a half. He plays the left and right side. Also has played slot corner. Wtf else do people want? He is a stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back