PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Discuss the defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be awesome if one of you could breakdown some defense footage every week. Just the most important play, like you did some pages ago!

Or if there's anyone particularly artistically inclined, they could do an animated rendering of some Gymrat posts with a 300# Hightower and -2% body fat Chandler Jones breathing fire on opposing quarterbacks, Wilfork and Siliga with giant maws swallowing offensive linemen whole, and Easley flying through the air while loaded down with dynamite and C4. That would be pretty awesome, too.

Nope...Gym Rat is serious...say what you want but his enthusiasm is infectious...even if his dreams are a bit fanciful

He's inspired me. I've started using different supplements because of him. Yesterday, I went and repped 305 on the bench then came home and drove my girlfriend's head through the drywall because she made spaghetti with no meatballs. After that, I cried and went to sleep.

BB on Dominique Easley's development:

Easley has come along slowly, rotating in on the defensive line and filling a variety of roles. He played 26 snaps in the first week, well behind Vince Wilfork (57) and Sealver Siliga (48). He narrowed the gap considerably last Sunday, playing 30 snaps to the 39 that both Wilfork and Siliga played.

We used him in a number of different roles, anywhere from on the center to all the way on the end of the line,” Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. “He’s played a lot of different spots along the front.

“He’s come on quickly considering the fact that he missed the amount of on-field time early,” Belichick said. “There was probably a time when we would have been optimistic to really get him into the real flow of things maybe by midseason, but it’s happened a lot quicker than that. That’s a credit to him. He’s a very hard worker. He really works hard, and he’s smart. It’s a good combination.”

http://www.providencejournal.com/sp...19-dominique-easley-still-making-progress.ece

He's inspired me. I've started using different supplements because of him. Yesterday, I went and repped 305 on the bench then came home and drove my girlfriend's head through the drywall because she made spaghetti with no meatballs. After that, I cried and went to sleep.

Like Reggie Bush, you are in for the Inquisition now.

From Reiss' Quick Hits today:

After Patriots defensive end Chandler Jones turned in arguably the best game in his three-year NFL career last Sunday in Minnesota, the club will continue to explore different ways to use him as a Darrelle Revis-type chess piece along the defensive line. The idea is to exploit potential favorable matchups with a top talent and don't be surprised if we see something along those lines today with Jones flipping from right to left end in a 1-on-1 matchup against Raiders right tackle Khalif Barnes. It's something to watch for as we continue to see growth from a budding star.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...508/quick-hit-thoughts-around-nfl-patriots-28

The Pats have an incredible potential array of "chess pieces" in Revis, Jones, Jamie Collins, Dont'a Hightower and (eventually) Dominique Easley. Plus they have 4 rock-solid veterans and team captains (or former team captains) in Vince Wilfork, Jerod Mayo, Devin McCourty and Rob Ninkovich, who provide leadership, smarts, and consistent play. If they can get everyone healthy and on the same page, it will be fun to watch what they can eventually do.

Thanks everyone for such a good discussion last week. I was wondering if Andy Johnson or anyone else who knows what they're talking about (i.e. not me....) had a chance to analyze the Raider game to see if the defensive approach is the same as the previous 2 games? That is to say, if the base 3-4 is really a shifted 4-3 concept, and that Jones' and Nink's roles are varying based on the offensive formation.

Certainly appears that the Nate Ebner as SS/LB in the dime is continuing and still having positive results.

Thanks everyone for such a good discussion last week. I was wondering if Andy Johnson or anyone else who knows what they're talking about (i.e. not me....) had a chance to analyze the Raider game to see if the defensive approach is the same as the previous 2 games? That is to say, if the base 3-4 is really a shifted 4-3 concept, and that Jones' and Nink's roles are varying based on the offensive formation.

Certainly appears that the Nate Ebner as SS/LB in the dime is continuing and still having positive results.
I was at the game, and haven't watched the tape, so I need to generalize, estimate and guess a little.
It seemed like sub packages were about 50% of the snaps.
In the base I saw what looked like a pretty equal mixture between BIG 34 (which we have not used much of) with 3 300lbers and Nink and Jones at DE, regular 34 with one of Nink and Jones at DE and the other at OLB, and 43. I would guess we split about equally among the 3. The BIG 34 seemed to be used a lot early as we seemed concerned with taking away the run, and of course, the sacrifice is that the pass rush suffers in that personnel grouping.

If anything I think that his snaps will increase throughout the season, obviously based on situational need. I think the handful of snaps in the first two games this season were a test that he passed with flying colors.

If anything I think that his snaps will increase throughout the season, obviously based on situational need. I think the handful of snaps in the first two games this season were a test that he passed with flying colors.
I think his place in the depth chart indicates his snaps will be limited to when we play dime. (Or big nickel which will be infrequent)

I was at the game, and haven't watched the tape, so I need to generalize, estimate and guess a little.
It seemed like sub packages were about 50% of the snaps.
In the base I saw what looked like a pretty equal mixture between BIG 34 (which we have not used much of) with 3 300lbers and Nink and Jones at DE, regular 34 with one of Nink and Jones at DE and the other at OLB, and 43. I would guess we split about equally among the 3. The BIG 34 seemed to be used a lot early as we seemed concerned with taking away the run, and of course, the sacrifice is that the pass rush suffers in that personnel grouping.

I looked quickly through the first quarter and your observation is spot on. The Raiders had 21 plays and we have been 7 times in 4-3, 7 times in 3-4 (with 5 of them being BIG) and 7 times in sub defense (mostly nickel). Similarly, all of the BIG 3-4 came on first downs.

I have a very basic novice question. In the BIG 3-4 there are 3 bigger body lineman up the interior, so wouldn't this help Jones and Nink as DE to get to the passer as the OL will have to work harder to keep the pocket against three big bodies ?

Thanks -- appreciate the comments. I wonder if the big 3-4 sets lined up with the times Mike Reiss says they were in 5-2 (against 1 Wr 2 TE 1 RB 1 FB formations). Seems like it would to me. But it is interesting to see the diversity they're showing, let's hope it continues to be effective.

I'm not too well versed in defensive fronts, but I thought I saw the Patriots often in what looked like a strange 2-5 alignment (2 down linemen, 5 DL/LB standing up). Is there such a thing? Or am I mistaking it for something else, like say a 4-3?

I'm not too well versed in defensive fronts, but I thought I saw the Patriots often in what looked like a strange 2-5 alignment (2 down linemen, 5 DL/LB standing up). Is there such a thing? Or am I mistaking it for something else, like say a 4-3?

no...you saw what you saw....but's it's not a "2-5"...a lot of variation on the 4-3 and some 4-2 worked in, 3-3 at times and a lot of 3-4 looks...here's a breakdown of the Miami game in entirety and every front the Pats show...don't sweat being "well versed", a lot of these geniuses know every alignment but very little about what basic football actually is, winning matchups....

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014...e-shift-beyond-rob-ninkovich-vs-dolphins.html

I haven't seen film from the game yet, but 2-5 fronts are a reasonably common semi-amoeboid or "psycho" front which disguises which players are rushing and which are dropping back into zone coverage. The Pats have used them at times in the past, and you'll see a number of teams do something like this from time to time. I've noticed it during several games this year from other teams as well.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/...ickel-subpackages/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

yeah,that's correct..pre-snap the amoeba looks like a 2-5, or even a 1-6 depending on how many defenders are moving but at the snap the actual set is revealed...

When are the pats going to let revis do his thing and just play man for pretty much an entire game? just let him play...for 12 mill use him where he is best...man

When are the pats going to let revis do his thing and just play man for pretty much an entire game? just let him play...for 12 mill use him where he is best...man
As soon as they become the New England Revises instead of the New England Patriots.

As soon as they become the New England Revises instead of the New England Patriots.

Maybe im in the majority but would it be so bad to allow Revis to do his own thing? I mean the guy is a future Hall of Fame player and we're going to limit that?

Sounds like handcuffing a capable player. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back