PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Discuss the defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
As soon as they become the New England Revises instead of the New England Patriots.

Maybe im in the majority but would it be so bad to allow Revis to do his own thing? I mean the guy is a future Hall of Fame player and we're going to limit that?

Sounds like handcuffing a capable player. JMO

Maybe im in the majority but would it be so bad to allow Revis to do his own thing? I mean the guy is a future Hall of Fame player and we're going to limit that?

Sounds like handcuffing a capable player. JMO
The point is to win the game. Revis is one piece of the defense. What is best for Revis is not what is best for the team. We play man a lot. We play it because of the skillsets of the 11 players on the field, the opponents, the situation and the game plan.
I'd rather win games.

I'm not too well versed in defensive fronts, but I thought I saw the Patriots often in what looked like a strange 2-5 alignment (2 down linemen, 5 DL/LB standing up). Is there such a thing? Or am I mistaking it for something else, like say a 4-3?
Whether you call it a 2-5 or a 4-3 is semantics. Every player on the field is aligned the way they are in a 4-3, and carry out the same responsilibities and techniques, but the DEs stand up.
I think technicality you would call in a 2-5, but conceptually it is a 4-3.

Im sort of half bothered by this. He sets goals for rookies to maybe get them to playing speed by mid season but Im also encouraged because it does show that if they show enough he will change his mind and allow a rookie to play.

I disagree with the bolded part. Here is the actual quote from Belichick:

The G^*&!%$ Batman said:
“He’s come on quickly considering the fact that he missed the amount of on-field time early. There was probably a time when we would have been optimistic to really get him into the real flow of things maybe by midseason, but it’s happened a lot quicker than that."

Doesn't seem to set goals for rookies to get them to playing speed by midseason. He sets a goal for this specific rookie coming off a torn ACL to get him to playing speed by midseason. I think that's a significant distinction.

The point is to win the game. Revis is one piece of the defense. What is best for Revis is not what is best for the team. We play man a lot. We play it because of the skillsets of the 11 players on the field, the opponents, the situation and the game plan.
I'd rather win games.
So by having Revis play his style of corner we lose? Thats a huge assumption on your end.

I disagree with the bolded part. Here is the actual quote from Belichick:

Doesn't seem to set goals for rookies to get them to playing speed by midseason. He sets a goal for this specific rookie coming off a torn ACL to get him to playing speed by midseason. I think that's a significant distinction.
Right, and thats what sort of bothered me. He missed time so he sort of hoped to have him out there by midseason? Either way I'm just glad he changed his mind and allowed the players play to dictate if he sees the field.

So by having Revis play his style of corner we lose? Thats a huge assumption on your end.
Of course thats not what I said.
Playing defense based on having one guy only do one thing is the way you lose.
Its like saying the Vikings should never pass or they would be limiting what Adrian Peterson can do.

Right, and thats what sort of bothered me. He missed time so he sort of hoped to have him out there by midseason? Either way I'm just glad he changed his mind and allowed the players play to dictate if he sees the field.
How can you be bothered by a comment about how long they guessed it would take for him to be recovered from an injury?

Of course thats not what I said.
Playing defense based on having one guy only do one thing is the way you lose.
Its like saying the Vikings should never pass or they would be limiting what Adrian Peterson can do.

Thats still an assumption though. I just feel it is a wasted use of his talents if hes a sure fire hall of fame press aggressive corner why not use that??? Why just play zone and take away the deep ball???

Thats still an assumption though. I just feel it is a wasted use of his talents if hes a sure fire hall of fame press aggressive corner why not use that??? Why just play zone and take away the deep ball???
If you think that playing one type of defense on every play is a smart way to go, I will just stop the discussion here.

Clearly Im not explaining it right, ill just drop it.
Well you seem to be describing as you think Belichick makes a decision in camp about when the player will be ready to play as if it is in stone. You even said he changed his mind. He didn't change his mind, the player recovered faster than he guessed.

If you think that playing one type of defense on every play is a smart way to go, I will just stop the discussion here.
This isnt a pissing match its just we signed Revis and his level of play prior to coming here was nothing short of elite. And yet we have played him almost entirely in zone and eliminating deep threats. I expected more out of him and so far (3 games in) its just been egh.

This isnt a pissing match
You seem to want to make it one.

its just we signed Revis and his level of play prior to coming here was nothing short of elite. And yet we have played him almost entirely in zone and eliminating deep threats. I expected more out of him and so far (3 games in) its just been egh.
We have not played almost entirely zone, that is a ridiculous comment. Given your misunderstanding of that it is probably pointless to have the discussion.

Well you seem to be describing as you think Belichick makes a decision in camp about when the player will be ready to play as if it is in stone. You even said he changed his mind. He didn't change his mind, the player recovered faster than he guessed.
Yea sort of. I mean why even say hoping my mid season? I would just rather have him not say anything and evaluate regardless of injury or not.

As soon as they become the New England Revises instead of the New England Patriots.

Then why did they waste 12 mill on him if they are going to use him in zone/man/zone like tampa did. Let him do what he does and that's lock down a side of the field.....

For Moss in 07 they made plays up for him and him only and he sometimes did his own thing. You can still have the team philosophy and it's stupid to suggest that if we let revis play man and do his own thing...we are caving to the players....BS

You seem to want to make it one.

We have not played almost entirely zone, that is a ridiculous comment. Given your misunderstanding of that it is probably pointless to have the discussion.

Cool talk Andy. Way to take it personal.

Then why did they waste 12 mill on him if they are going to use him in zone/man/zone like tampa did. Let him do what he does and that's lock down a side of the field.....

For Moss in 07 they made plays up for him and him only and he sometimes did his own thing. You can still have the team philosophy and it's stupid to suggest that if we let revis play man and do his own thing...we are caving to the players....BS
Because he is a tremendous corner.
To think that the only way a player has value is by doing only one thing is silly.
The defense incorporates Revis into it. Playing 100% man would be silly.

Cool talk Andy. Way to take it personal.
Not personal at all, there just isn't much point in discussing shades of blue if you see yellow.
No offense, but we have not played almost exclusively zone so if you are discussing from that presumption, there is no point in discussing.

Not personal at all, there just isn't much point in discussing shades of blue if you see yellow.
No offense, but we have not played almost exclusively zone so if you are discussing from that presumption, there is no point in discussing.
Then have a football conversation with me instead of throwing small suttle comments about how "pointless" it would be to have a conversation with me.

Fact is 100% of anything is stupid, lets just get that out there. My problem is that he is playing more zone than man and if its going to be 60-40 split then shouldnt it be 60-40 man to zone? Under Revis own admission that they are playing more prevent than "aggressive"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back