Not open for further replies.
The Colts troll's:) take on Dillon's cap hit

I have Dillon's cap number as 4,429,220
$2,500,000 salary
$600,000 proration of the 2005 signing bonus
$750,000 proration of an option bonus
$572,500 proration of a 2006 signing bonus
$6,720 option bonus.

There is a total of $1.8 million of unamortized proration of the 2005 signing bonus.There is a total of $1,717,500 of unamortized proration of the 2006 signing bonus. That is a total of $3,517,500.

It seems safe to say that the Pats are not going to be on the hook for the unamortized proration of the option bonus.

thanks for the good times, corey. a match made in heaven at a perfect time!i still believe the duo would be great for two more years, but not if corey's not comfy with it! hate to see ya in arival jersey. good luck just the same.

I'm just speculating, but I think what could have happened is the Patriots asked him to rework his contract because of the 4+ cap hit. He said no and asked for his release. The Jets will most likely enter the fray because anything that the Patriots drop, the Jets pick up.

I don't believe the speculation here about the Patriots asking him tot ake a cut. First, he mentioned retiring immediately after the season. Second, the patriots know they'll have a very difficult time making such an argument when they have a huge amount of cap space. That's an argument they'd make heading into the summer.

As for Corey losing his fastball and running slow on the big break against Indy, well, first of all you have to find the hole and break the tackles that get you to the second level. A lot of running backs can't even put themselves in position to take it to the house. Corey can. Yeah, he can't hit the homerun, but he got 50 yards on that play.

Here's what I don't get about the agent. Corey got 12.5 rushes a game last year. His agent thinks that's too low and that Corey should have gotten 15 a game? Well, Feldman, if Corey didn't ask out of the game a lot (I presumed because of injuries) I'm sure he would have gotten an extra 2 carries last year.

I don't believe the speculation here about the Patriots asking him tot ake a cut. First, he mentioned retiring immediately after the season. Second, the patriots know they'll have a very difficult time making such an argument when they have a huge amount of cap space. That's an argument they'd make heading into the summer.

As for Corey losing his fastball and running slow on the big break against Indy, well, first of all you have to find the hole and break the tackles that get you to the second level. A lot of running backs can't even put themselves in position to take it to the house. Corey can. Yeah, he can't hit the homerun, but he got 50 yards on that play.

Here's what I don't get about the agent. Corey got 12.5 rushes a game last year. His agent thinks that's too low and that Corey should have gotten 15 a game? Well, Feldman, if Corey didn't ask out of the game a lot (I presumed because of injuries) I'm sure he would have gotten an extra 2 carries last year.

Not to downplay Corey's ability to get through the hole for tough yards, but that play against Indy was hardly difficult. Indy was in a defensive short yardage stop. There was nobody to even put a hand on Corey, credit the offensive line on that one. Then watch Corey "run" down field. That fifty yards had nothing to do with Corey's ability to run.

Not to downplay Corey's ability to get through the hole for tough yards, but that play against Indy was hardly difficult. Indy was in a defensive short yardage stop. There was nobody to even put a hand on Corey, credit the offensive line on that one. Then watch Corey "run" down field. That fifty yards had nothing to do with Corey's ability to run.

We saw it differently. Yeah, short yardage, but that means more men penetrating and at the line. Corey hit the right hole. He didn't plow straight ahead, he made a couple moves in the backfield before he ran off tackle.

I don't see why Corey Dillon gets the benefit of the doubt and this is obviously his agent wanting a commission.

The Pats probably approached him about a pay cut and he didn't like the sound of it. He wouldn't be the first athlete to not realize when he has lost a step or three.

Good luck to him, he was great in '04 and earned that ring.

Re: The Colts troll's:) take on Dillon's cap hit

$2,500,000 salary
$6,720 option bonus.

There is a total of $1.8 million of unamortized proration of the 2005 signing bonus.There is a total of $1,717,500 of unamortized proration of the 2006 signing bonus. That is a total of $3,517,500.

It seems safe to say that the Pats are not going to be on the hook for the unamortized proration of the option bonus.

The papers are saying Dillon will be released which I find far fetched.

But, if released, wouldnt his hit be 5.7 Mil (remaining SB) minus his 2.5 Mil salary since he would be no longer on the roster?

Yet Reiss has an interview with Dillon this morning saying he's most likely retiring.

Wouldn't it help the Pats more against the cap if he retires vice being released?

If he's smart he'll retire. The past two seasons have been rough. He had a high ankle sprain the season before and a should injury this season and I think even a calf injury. He has his money, as he said he should save his body.

$2,500,000 salary
$6,720 option bonus.

You're a better man than me, all this cap stuff gives me a headache.

Given the $5.7 unassesed signing bonus on your page, combined with the $3.5M you mentioned here and the $2.5M salary, what's your guess at the cap bottom line if we released him before June 1 ? I can't even figure out if we'd gain or lose.

I would like to see Corey stay for one more season. His running in the redzone/goal-line is worth the money IMO.

The Pats don't have to give him his release?

You're a better man than me, all this cap stuff gives me a headache.

Given the $5.7 unassesed signing bonus on your page, combined with the $3.5M you mentioned here and the $2.5M salary, what's your guess at the cap bottom line if we released him before June 1 ? I can't even figure out if we'd gain or lose.

Bottom line -
He will cost the Pats $3,517,500 as a dead money hit. I do not think that the Pats will be on the hook for the option bonus which would increase the number. I do not think that the Pats will go after Dillon's signing bonus money which would decrease the number.

Bottom line -
He will cost the Pats $3,517,500 as a dead money hit. I do not think that the Pats will be on the hook for the option bonus which would increase the number. I do not think that the Pats will go after Dillon's signing bonus money which would decrease the number.

Hmm. To pay 3.5 mill to release a guy who we could really use next season just doesn't seem that great...

Bottom line -
$3.5M after subtracting his $2.5M salary ? :eek:

I don't know what the Patriots would do but I wouldn't release a guy for the honor of costing myself $3.5M - especially when he may head to the Jets (my speculation, they could use him).

First Reiss taked to the man and the Herald guy talked to the agent. I'll go with what the man says.

Secondly, why would the Patriots release him? If he is going to retire they would gain more by that. Also, Corey is under contract with the Patriots. If he wants to be released , he would need to negotiate that release with the Patriots.

The Patriots have plenty of $ under the cap to wait this out.

I'm taking the man at his word.

Thank you Corey for the Lombardi's and the memories.:)

Unlike many posters who wanted to bury you for the latest new toy only to sour on seeing his limitations, I welcomed your attitude and willingness to share time. I looked forward to your becoming our "Bus" and letting you gain another thousand or twelve hundred yards over the next two seasons. That would push you into the top eight or so RBs of all time. It'd assure your HOF induction.

I knew that there was a price problem for your $4.4 million dollar contract in 2007. Seeing as the cost will be $1.8 million of Dead money in '07 and '08 and any decent second string back would cost a million aper each season, the real cost to the Pats is $1.88 for 07 and $500k or so in 08. I think I'd rather have you than some second string back for that delta of money.

I think you would be happier playing for a winning club and you have a respectable line and an offense that does not make you an automatic target. You know from personal experience in Cincy what that means.

Good luck.

I don't know what the Patriots would do but I wouldn't release a guy for the honor of costing myself $3.5M - especially when he may head to the Jets (my speculation, they could use him).

So if the Patriots release him as per his request, they would need to fork over $3.5 million. Dillon could then sign with the Jets for $3 million and make $6.5 million in 2007? Why dosen't everyone do this?

Yes because you have to add the 2008 and 2009 prorations of his prior signing bonuses.

Hmm. To pay 3.5 mill to release a guy who we could really use next season just doesn't seem that great...

They are not paying $3.5 million. They paid that money in 2005 and 2006. They would be amortizing it.

OK - sorry, I'm bad at this stuff - what will his 07 cap hit be then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes