PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dillon seeks a new job -- Agent: RB done with Pats, not for good

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reasons Dillon gave for hanging it up in the boston globe story seemed very sensible. Since then, it seems like his agent has talked him out of it in hopes of bleeding a year or two of commissions out of him. I guess he'll look interesting in a Jetriots uniform.

sounds like his agent still the one want to "GET PAID"...Corey thanks for good times...Enjoy your retirement you earn it...

sounds like his agent still the one want to "GET PAID"...Corey thanks for good times...Enjoy your retirement you earn it...

This is best for the Patriots and for Corey, in my opinion. This will create some cap room for the Patriots and give them the chance to see if Maroney is a good long term option. This couldn't have worked out better if your Maroney though, he's in the spotlight now... time to shine. :horn:

With the amount of money out there, 670 million, he will find a home. Not sure how much he has in the tank right now though, and if he will find the money he wants.

If Corey decides he wants to find a home for 2007 where he can be the every down back, then good luck to him.

I always found him a reaasuring presence in our team, running hard and making the yards. Sometimes when he broke into open field and got running I'd think, "jeez these guys are going to need artillery to stop him". Brilliant.

Corey, thanks for the memories. Good luck, whatever you choose to do.

I agree, with the cap hit and his loss of a step, let him go. A business decision.

But I must admit, I love watching the guy.

But I also must admit, that if we line up against him in the playoffs, he does not scare me.

Unfortunately I dont think he has what it takes to be the every down back anymore. I guess that happens when you get "old" at 33.

At least he's doing it now, before free agency started and not half way through or right before training camp.

Thanks for all the hard fought runs Corey, especially 2004. Good luck in whatever you pursue.

Yet Reiss has an interview with Dillon this morning saying he's most likely retiring.

Wouldn't it help the Pats more against the cap if he retires vice being released?

Good question, i'm not sure that matters?
Any cap guru's help out here? =)

Yep, sounds like the Jets to me. Obviously (to me, at least,) they came to him talking pay cut, and he didn't want that quite yet. Eh well. Can't say as I blame him. We got his best years, but he might have a couple feature back seasons left. "Gotta jet now..." Guess now our backfield is "Lo Money" and "Dead Money."

Particularly interesting is his parting statement made after the paper went to press (actually, I made it up...):

"While I loved the years I played in New England, what made up my mind in the end was the rough treatment I got sometimes on fan bulletin boards. Perhaps posters do not realize that players and their families read these boards... and we do have feelings."

:eek:

PFnV

Like i said , he wanted out and this was his way for the Pats to cut him..

2004 was great.

But last year, the wave outs after a one play-3 year gain were getting too much.

I'm not so sure that Dillon wanted out. He has a high cap # coming and the Patriots would have asked him to rework his #, I think Dillon is too proud to do this and has asked to be released so that it can be his choice, which is totally cool, he deserves that. But what was he gonna cost next year? $4 mill, no way the Pats let that slide, just ask Willie.

That last long run he had during the playoffs ( I think on 4th and short) he really looked slow getting down the field. What kind of hit do we take if he is let go, and does it matter if he is the one who asks out? I don't want to downplay what he has done for us (another thread sometime) but this helps add another young player, hopefully.

And somewhere out there, a bunch of running backs (including Brian Leonard) just started smiling a bit more. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back