PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did you notice Matt stepping up in the pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed a Matt Cassel moving the Pats all day. I saw Matt Cassel get the game winning score. I've seen a lot of improvement, he's developing into a pretty good starting QB. He's getting the points he needs and he's making more and more throws. Also, notice how the offense seems to be going (little by little) more vertical? There's definantly improvement going on. It's important for us to keep winning, by the time this team is truely developed, they could do something in the playoffs.

Fixed that for you...

Matt Light, who handed him to Howie's kid for one sack, sounded a little chippy with the media yesterday when asked again to assess the backups progress as he pointed to one play where Cassel stepped up to make a beautiful throw and completion knowing he was about to get whacked... Said something to the effect that's all anyone should need to see to know he's becoming a really good QB period.

Last edited:
It should be no surprise their are similarities in their style of play.

They were drafted by the same person who values a certain set of skills in his QBs.

Their entire professional career they have had the same head coach and a great deal of overlap in their OCs.

MC has been mentored by TB.

MC has probably been coached in part in the following manner for the past 4 years, "see that guy in the shirt with #12, he is really good, do what he does"

they are in the same system and run the same plays

Last edited:
Funny how the haters have been nowhere to be found in the past few weeks, they are really silent, only to treturn when the Pats next lose a game. Pathetic.

I bashed him like 2 weeks ago, but i'm by no means a hater. I don't hate anyone on the Pats, but there is no denying he was brutal up until like the 2nd quarter of last weeks game.

That being said though, i'll definitely admit he has improved tremendously since then. He is showing confidence in his throws, he's releasing the ball quicker, and like this thread says, stepping up in the pocket more. Opposing defenses are playing back more as a result, and giving him even more breathing room in the pocket.

It not only shows how much he's improved, but it shows, again, just how smart Belichick is. The media has been all over him about not having a quality backup, wondering how he'll do without Brady, etc. But here the Pats sit, without Brady, without a running back, and now without Harrison, yet they're still 5-2.

Just shows Belichick knew what the media didn't (again) and what I didn't. Cassel is far better than originally thought, and despite playing awful in his first few games, he stuck with him and now it's paying off.

I'd like to see you take any teams QB, RB and defensive leader away early in the season and have them finish with a winning record. Belichick has the chance to do that which helps further cement his legacy.

he's throwing a large portion of his throws over 10 yards now.

you can see he is definitely improving even if he's cramming 8 years of QB'ing into one season

Daunte Culpepper?

Chris Simms?

I'd still take either of those two over Gutierrez, just in case something happens to Cassel, and O'Connell doesn't show that he's ready.

Fixed that for you...

Matt Light, who handed him to Howie's kid for one sack, sounded a little chippy with the media yesterday when asked again to assess the backups progress as he pointed to one play where Cassel stepped up to make a beautiful throw and completion knowing he was about to get whacked... Said something to the effect that's all anyone should need to see to know he's becoming a really good QB period.

I don't think we can say he's a good starter, that's saying he can start on most teams. He's looking good, but he needs a lot of work too.

Who does that remind you of ?

Much much better pocket presence, He was acting, not reacting (late). He also ran aggressively, making the decision and flying.

Lack of confidence, indecision and happy feet can go together, though I imagine he was talked to and worked on footwork and quickness during the week. Good for him.

Tough game, he had an unreliable running game and the defense knew it. Bounced back from interceptions too.

I'd still take either of those two over Gutierrez, just in case something happens to Cassel, and O'Connell doesn't show that he's ready.

Then there is no hope for you buddy because those guys can't play in a Belichick offense. Too little discipline and too much ego. Culpepper is the absolute anthesis of a Belichick QB.

he's throwing a large portion of his throws over 10 yards now.

you can see he is definitely improving even if he's cramming 8 years of QB'ing into one season

Hey, is this MrBiggles from the IFL? well formerly of the IFL

He just looks so much more comfortable out of the shot gun. I feel like when he is behind center and drops back, he is a little weary of stepping up. Out of the shotgun, he sets his feet quickly and looks comfortable, and ready to dish out the ball. He was very good this week.

Ummm any other QB in the NFL? haha.

lol that's what i was thinking. i'm all for cassel, i think he's improved remarkably in this amount of time, especially considering how long it's been since he's started a football game.

that being said, he'll never compare to brady. brady is just that good.

lol that's what i was thinking. i'm all for cassel, i think he's improved remarkably in this amount of time, especially considering how long it's been since he's started a football game.

that being said, he'll never compare to brady. brady is just that good.

Just remember though that someone saying "he looked like Brady stepping up in the pocket there" does NOT mean the same thing as "he's as good as Brady stepping up in the pocket".

Just remember though that someone saying "he looked like Brady stepping up in the pocket there" does NOT mean the same thing as "he's as good as Brady stepping up in the pocket".

but in that case you can pretty much say that every qb looks like any other qb when they step up in the pocket. so the post really isn't worth much.

there just seems to be this attitude of "well, our backup qb can always come in and be a hall-of-famer." i just don't understand why people keep pushing the issue. cassel could turn out to be a great qb, but he won't be brady.

Last edited:
but in that case you can pretty much say that every qb looks like any other qb when they step up in the pocket. so the post really isn't worth much.

there just seems to be this attitude of "well, our backup qb can always come in and be a hall-of-famer." i just don't understand why people keep pushing the issue. cassel could turn out to be a great qb, but he won't be brady.

I don't see that attitude at all. It's more confidence in BB and the staff to keep the team well-equipped to handle anything, such as the devastating loss of Tom Brady.

It's the confidence/knowledge that BB actually had some effect on Tom becoming who he is today. I don't think anyone things Cassel can or will become close to as good as Brady. But some of us our confident that BB knows how to pick em, coach em and develop em.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results