PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Jackson call a fair catch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiZa

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I watched the the replay of the interference on CJax and I did not see him call a fair catch. Can anyone confirm that?

I watched the the replay of the interference on CJax and I did not see him call a fair catch. Can anyone confirm that?

It doesn't matter if he did or not. He was hit before the ball got there. If that were allowed, the strategy would just be to tackle the returner before he could catch the ball... Where's the fun in that?

It did not matter whether he called a fair catch or not. The cover team cannot contact the player attempting the catch before the ball is there, whether a fair catch was called or not. For the record, I did not see him call for a fair catch.

Doesn't matter if he did or not, it's still interference. Honestly, I had the announcers muted at that point, so I couldn't tell you what they had to offer on the matter.

Last edited:
He didn't call fair catch, but I also think the punt was really short and would have hit the ground before it got to Jackson. Add that and the fact that he was clearly interfered with well before the ball came down, does it really matter if he called a fair catch or not?

I think the point was it does matter in the broader scheme of things because he SHOULD HAVE called for a fair catch but he didn't... If the guy hit him a second later that had turnover for a TD written all over it. The announcers blew the call - it was contact with the receiver prior to his having a chance to field the ball that was called on the field, not interfering with a fair catch that wasn't called for. So in fact two players screwed up on that one but only one was flagged for it. I guarantee you the other got an earful on the sidelines too, though.

I agree on the ruling, but it was my thinking that the reason he got interfered to begin with is that he did not call and fair catch and Stovall got anxious being so close to him that he took a shot.

He didn't call fair catch, but I also think the punt was really short and would have hit the ground before it got to Jackson. Add that and the fact that he was clearly interfered with well before the ball came down, does it really matter if he called a fair catch or not?
The question is relevant to me because my immediate reaction when I saw the hit was not whether it was a penalty (of course it was) but that it was a catchable punt and Jackson should have called for a fair catch. If it was not catchable and short, he should have gotten the heck out of the way of the ball.

Point is, I didn't see good decision making on his part. Don't flame me -- I'm not a hater, I rather like Jackson, but on this particular punt return, I thought he should have called for a fair catch.

The question is relevant to me because my immediate reaction when I saw the hit was not whether it was a penalty (of course it was) but that it was a catchable punt and Jackson should have called for a fair catch. If it was not catchable and short, he should have gotten the heck out of the way of the ball.

Point is, I didn't see good decision making on his part. Don't flame me -- I'm not a hater, I rather like Jackson, but on this particular punt return, I thought he should have called for a fair catch.

Amen, my thoughts exactly.

The ref saw Jackson signal a fair catch, and when he delivered the ruling on the field, it was interfering w/ a fair catch.

The ref saw Jackson signal a fair catch, and when he delivered the ruling on the field, it was interfering w/ a fair catch.

I'm pretty sure that any time a returner is interfered with, "fair catch interference" is the penalty, and the play results in the rewarding of a fair catch to the returner at the spot of interference.

EDIT: Otherwise, a team could kick a punt with top spin on it, clothesline the returner, and if the ball bounces more than 15 yards past the returner before being downed, actually make yardage on the penalty.

Last edited:

Yes, this is why I started the thread. It looked like he wanted to make something out of nothing which during a punt return is never good.

I think it does matter that he didn't call a fair catch.

so if they didn't interfere, he would have just gotten the crap knocked out of him immediately after catching the ball.

so either his judgment sucks, he's desperate, or he's just a crappy returner.

i don't know how you can say that it doesn't matter

another reason why this guy appears to be a bust

Last edited:
Of course it matters if he called for a fair catch. He should have called for one, otherwise he would have gotten smashed up real nice after catching the ball, fumbled and 6 the other way.

Jackson made a bonehead mistake by not calling fora fair catch. He was bailed out by the Bucs.

This is just the type of play that burns BB. Take the fair catch. What was going to happen if he did catch that? He had 2 guys lining him up. He would have got tattoed and fumbled. Thats a mental mistake. Like O'Connel's first pass when instead of throwing the ball out of bounds he trys to fit the ball in a tight space even though if compleated, its a 3 yard game. Stupid mental mistaks.

Not sure if anyone listened to pregame on WBCN but Andy Hart of PFW said Cjack would be cut and wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it through the 1st rd of cuts.

...pregame on WBCN but Andy Hart of PFW said Cjack would be cut and wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it through the 1st rd of cuts.

That would shock me. Washington has yet to take a snap on offense in pre-season and when I was at TC, was running ST drills instead of wide receiver drills. Aiken is down with an injury, CJ Jones hasn't shown anything. Slater and Ventrone play both sides.

So basically, you're talking about the Pats having 3 reliable and proven receivers right now. So you're telling me they would then cut the receiver who would a) be next in line on the depth chart, no matter his struggles in preseason b) has the most potential of the remainder of the roster c) would gain no benefit from cutting in an economic sense.

Andy Hart's next good point will probably be his first one. I saw him on CST last week, and he's just another guy who likes to say surprising and bordering on negative things. You can group him with Felger, Gresh, Casale, the rest of those types. Really, if Jackson gets cut, I would be beyond shocked.

Last edited:
That would shock me. Washington has yet to take a snap on offense in pre-season and when I was at TC, was running ST drills instead of wide receiver drills. Aiken is down with an injury, CJ Jones hasn't shown anything. Slater and Ventrone play both sides.

So basically, you're talking about the Pats having 3 reliable and proven receivers right now. So you're telling me they would then cut the receiver who would a) be next in line on the depth chart, no matter his struggles in preseason b) has the most potential of the remainder of the roster c) would gain no benefit from cutting in an economic sense.

Andy Hart's next good point will probably be his first one. I saw him on CST last week, and he's just another guy who likes to say surprising and bordering on negative things. You can group him with Felger, Gresh, Casale, the rest of those types. Really, if Jackson gets cut, I would be beyond shocked.

Im not sure if you get PFW but he is actually a pretty good writer. Seems to have a lot of football knowledge. Maybe I just don't like listening to the same guys talk every day on WEEI.

I would also be shocked if it happed but I have absolutly no doubt in my mind that if BB thought he wasn't going to get anything out of this guy he would be gone.

Im not sure if you get PFW but he is actually a pretty good writer. Seems to have a lot of football knowledge. Maybe I just don't like listening to the same guys talk every day on WEEI.

I would also be shocked if it happed but I have absolutly no doubt in my mind that if BB thought he wasn't going to get anything out of this guy he would be gone.

Maybe I haven't heard enough of Hart. On CST, he and Felger make too much negativity for me.

I agree if BB thinks he has no value, he'll cut him. But who has demonstrated they'd be a better wide receiver target? Ventrone? CJ Jones? The team is relying on Chad Jackson this season, and they're going to give him more time to pan out.

Maybe I haven't heard enough of Hart. On CST, he and Felger make too much negativity for me.

I agree if BB thinks he has no value, he'll cut him. But who has demonstrated they'd be a better wide receiver target? Ventrone? CJ Jones? The team is relying on Chad Jackson this season, and they're going to give him more time to pan out.

Troy Brown? A cut from another team? If it did happen the player would most likly come from another roster. I agree though it would shock me

Troy Brown? A cut from another team? If it did happen the player would most likly come from another roster. I agree though it would shock me

Right and at this point in camp, you gotta hope that Jackson is a better option than a castoff from another team. I'm a Jackson homer, and I haven't exactly been pumped with what I've seen so far - at least last nite he made a couple nice catches - but hopefully more time proves to be the thing he needs.

As others have pointed out, a lot of Gaffney's strides were made during the season last year - he started to distinguish himself. Hopefully Jackson can do likewise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back