PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty contract talks in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to trash DMC is stupid. He does his job perfectly. It's not his fault when he moved to safety the kids in front would suck. The defense was so bad in 2011 and 2012 pre-talib that anyone on the roster then sucks apparently. That D had awful CBs, a bad safety (Gregory) and no pass rush, sorry if DMC didn't look good to you. He's a top 5 S in this game without a doubt.

Fast and smart and a leader. Only free safeties I take over him- Thomas and Bryd. that's it.

He will make 8 million a year-plus if he doesn't take a slight discount (which I wouldn't rule out with a True Pat like him). I really hope they lock him up. Like others said, he, Mayo and Wilfork are the best. True Patriots that define what BB preaches

If Mcourty gets 8 mil per then Revis deserves twice that because he is a HOFer.

No NFL QB worth his salt fears Devin Mcourty. Jokers.

At least the Bills and Jets both directed their quarterbacks to not throw into McCourty's area, and I'm fairly sure they aren't the only teams in which I read articles about telling their QBs to do the same.

With better CB play, he should be freed up to play a more aggressive and creative role the way Earl Thomas does for Seattle and "showcase that talent". I'm expecting a tremendous year from him.

...which is another excellent argument for getting an extension done NOW.

At least the Bills and Jets both directed their quarterbacks to not throw into McCourty's area, and I'm fairly sure they aren't the only teams in which I read articles about telling their QBs to do the same.
Bills and Jets QBs?

Thanks for making my case

Thomas is getting $10 million per
Byrd is getting $9 million per

Eric Berry is due for an extension, and he'll get big coin. The Patriots will be smart to get McCourty done now, because Berry's numbers will probably bump up safety salaries, too.

Hehe, he'll get closer to 10/year than 5-6. 4/36 with 25 guaranteed maybe. No way he signs for 5-6 a year.

Mccourty close to 10 a year? hahaha. Take off the homer glasses.

He is a good player, not great. If he gets more than 6-7 I'll be shocked. I expect something like 5/30 with 15-18 guaranteed.

I think they would like to keep it under 40 million and are looking around 7.5 a year with really good guaranteed money (25 million). If he will take 38 for 5 with 25 guaranteed then I think it gets done, if he wants 45 to 50 million then i think he will be gone, but I do think they will get it done.

I think they would like to keep it under 40 million and are looking around 7.5 a year with really good guaranteed money (25 million). If he will take 38 for 5 with 25 guaranteed then I think it gets done, if he wants 45 to 50 million then i think he will be gone, but I do think they will get it done.

Don't see him getting more than 7. Expect him to get similar to Kam Chancellor money.

He is a good player, not great. If he gets more than 6-7 I'll be shocked. I expect something like 5/30 with 15-18 guaranteed.

No one is wearing homer glasses.

Here are the top 5 AAV salaries for free safeties
Earl Thomas $10m
Jarius Byrd $9m
Dashon Goldson $8.2m
Eric Weddle $8m
Michael Griffin $7m

The market for McCourty is $8m+ AAV.

No one is wearing homer glasses.

Here are the top 5 AAV salaries for free safeties
Earl Thomas $10m
Jarius Byrd $9m
Dashon Goldson $8.2m
Eric Weddle $8m
Michael Griffin $7m

The market for McCourty is $8m+ AAV.

The market for overpaying is 8+. Byrd and Goldson aren't worth 8m and Weddle is pushing it at 8 too. My money is on Dmac getting no more than 7. Guess we'll just have to wait and see the offers and what he signs for.

The market for overpaying is 8+. Byrd and Goldson aren't worth 8m and Weddle is pushing it at 8 too. My money is on Dmac getting no more than 7. Guess we'll just have to wait and see the offers and what he signs for.
Bill pays Bill's guys. McCourty is one of Bill's guys. I haven't even entered that McCourty provides the Patriots positional flexibility.

• Winner
Reactions: ALP

These are the numbers roughly that I was thinking, although a $25M guarantee sounds much too high. I would expect a guarantee in the $15M range would get it done. Let's also remember when figuring annual dollars that he's already at $4M for this year, so an extension that averages $8M/year would total $36M over the next five years (although the $$ would get shuffled, obviously).

Actually, that's pretty much the deal that Miguel suggested, if they guaranteed DMac's 2015 salary. I guess I'm not needed here.

I really don't understand the McCourty haters. He's a hard worker, a leader, and someone who always puts the team first. When he wasn't named a team captain last year unlike previous seasons, he just brushed it off and didn't add a single log to the fire, continuing to do his job and focus on the team. I wish we had a dozen more McCourtys.

Some are critical because he wasn't as effective when we switched from zone to man. The argument was that great players should be great no matter what system they're in. But one only needs to look at another DB on our roster, Revis, to see how a system change can impact even a HOF quality player.

As for the position change, the haters say he was in BB's doghouse, but if you're in the doghouse, you're not starting the entire season. He was also eventually named a team captain, a strange thing for someone in the doghouse.

But even if all of that were true, you still have to admire how the guy switches positions and becomes an All Pro (second team). The Pro Bowl is often a popularity contest, but McCourty has now been named an All Pro in 2 of his 4 seasons at different positions. It's time to let go of the ridiculous hatred for a guy who is the prototype Patriot.

McCourty's #1 job since being moved to safety in 2012 was to prevent the deep hemorrhaging that was occurring. He's done a fine job of that, and his range, vision and recovery speed have made a huge difference. With better CB play, he should be freed up to play a more aggressive and creative role the way Earl Thomas does for Seattle and "showcase that talent". I'm expecting a tremendous year from him.

BB agrees with this prognostication. Precisely the reason the Pats are moving now to do a deal. A stellar performance in 2014 will absolutely make 1 or 2 cap rich GMs break the bank with offers for 2015, making McCourty "unaffordable" for the Patriots. If/when this deal is done it will seem rich, right up until we see 2015's deals.

McCourty has non-trivial leadership value besides what he provides playing his position.
McCourty made the Pro Bowl as a CB a few years back, and CBs still get paid more than safeties.

I expect McCourty to get very full value for his play at the safety position, with his "hometown discount" being that he doesn't get extra pay for the additional factors I cited above.

What homer glasses? The only people who devalue McCourty are Patriots' fans.

I don't know what the Pats will pay him, but if he gets on the open market, he's going to get 8+ with lots of guarantees. if the Pats aren't going in that area (might get a small hometown discount), they'll need to franchise him to keep him around.

If McCourty signs for 5/30 with 15 guaranteed, it will be an incredible steal.

I really don't understand the McCourty haters. He's a hard worker, a leader, and someone who always puts the team first. When he wasn't named a team captain last year unlike previous seasons, he just brushed it off and didn't add a single log to the fire, continuing to do his job and focus on the team. I wish we had a dozen more McCourtys.

Some are critical because he wasn't as effective when we switched from zone to man. The argument was that great players should be great no matter what system they're in. But one only needs to look at another DB on our roster, Revis, to see how a system change can impact even a HOF quality player.

As for the position change, the haters say he was in BB's doghouse, but if you're in the doghouse, you're not starting the entire season. He was also eventually named a team captain, a strange thing for someone in the doghouse.

But even if all of that were true, you still have to admire how the guy switches positions and becomes an All Pro (second team). The Pro Bowl is often a popularity contest, but McCourty has now been named an All Pro in 2 of his 4 seasons at different positions. It's time to let go of the ridiculous hatred for a guy who is the prototype Patriot.
McCourty is simply not a corner that excels in man coverage. Nothing against him, he just doesn't do it well enough to play corner for the Patriots. He's a guy that makes his best plays because he has excellent rage and awareness with his head turned toward the ball, so he's a natural FS. Saying that he's not a good man corner is not necessarily a bad thing. Every player has things they do or don't do well. For McCourty, he's one of the better FS's in the AFC and a guy that you only want playing corner if the team is showing zone-heavy looks.

The entire discussion may ALSO imply that BB is done with FA acquisitions, without bringing in a TE like Keller or Finely...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back