PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty contract talks in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hes going to get at LEAST what his brother got in Tenn.

It will become flat again in 2017 or so I do believe I read, so it is something that needs to be considered. Can't give every player a gigantic contract because of expected growth in the next 2 years, but it does leave additional options at least.

Salary cap projected to rise to about $133 million this year, expected to break $140 million next year and $150 million by 2016, per source

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/439423607211851776

Big cap jumps coming means salary increases coming along with it. The Patriots can spend it on a handful of players, or they can spread it around, but they have to spend it (90% rule).

I think Devin will get a TJ Ward type of Salary when he signed a 4-year 22.5M. He's not in that 1st tier of safeties like Earl Thomas and Byrd

I think Devin will get a TJ Ward type of Salary when he signed a 4-year 22.5M. He's not in that 1st tier of safeties like Earl Thomas and Byrd

They play different positions. McCourty is a much better player and plays a much more valued role.

8M a year seems like the sweet spot for McCourty. Earl Thomas is the best safety in the league and got 10M per, while most people would consider Byrd the second best and he received 9M per.

In terms of ability, McCourty is a notch below Byrd and right there with Weddle/Chancellor for 3rd-5th best safety in the NFL.

8M a year seems like the sweet spot for McCourty. Earl Thomas is the best safety in the league and got 10M per, while most people would consider Byrd the second best and he received 9M per.

In terms of ability, McCourty is a notch below Byrd and right there with Weddle/Chancellor for 3rd-5th best safety in the NFL.

McC is definitely going to be in the 8m per range, that is for sure. I actually think McC is as good as Byrd right now.

8 mil per for a soft Safety with questionable cover skills?

What is Revis worth?

8 mil per for a soft Safety with questionable cover skills?

FLLuL.gif

Hope we can keep him. While not the best in the league, I think he is a Top 10 safety. He is worth about $5-6 mil a year imo.
You are joking right? McCourty is right up there as one of the best Free Safeties in the league. His range is ridiculous. I'm hopeful a better D allows him to showcase that talent.

McCourty is going to be paid and deserves to be.

You are joking right? McCourty is right up there as one of the best Free Safeties in the league. His range is ridiculous. I'm hopeful a better D allows him to showcase that talent.

McCourty is going to be paid and deserves to be.

McCourty's #1 job since being moved to safety in 2012 was to prevent the deep hemorrhaging that was occurring. He's done a fine job of that, and his range, vision and recovery speed have made a huge difference. With better CB play, he should be freed up to play a more aggressive and creative role the way Earl Thomas does for Seattle and "showcase that talent". I'm expecting a tremendous year from him.

McCourty's #1 job since being moved to safety in 2012 was to prevent the deep hemorrhaging that was occurring. He's done a fine job of that, and his range, vision and recovery speed have made a huge difference. With better CB play, he should be freed up to play a more aggressive and creative role the way Earl Thomas does for Seattle and "showcase that talent". I'm expecting a tremendous year from him.

Absolutely, Mayo. Patriots' secondary this year is beastly, in no small part because of McCourty. Sign him, and extend Revis. Get it done - that is Superbowl talent, right there.

Hell, I'd pay Revis the 20million next year and franchise him the two after that if I couldn't reach an extension! They won't even throw at him in OTAs! Yes, he IS that good, and he'll make everyone around him that much better.

He's not as bad as Triumph says, but he's also not as good as people claim. 4 for 24 sounds reasonable.

Great news. Have been loving this offseason so far

He's not as bad as Triumph says, but he's also not as good as people claim. 4 for 24 sounds reasonable.
If Mcourty gets 8 mil per then Revis deserves twice that because he is a HOFer.

No NFL QB worth his salt fears Devin Mcourty. Jokers.

In 2012, in the games McCourty played safety, Quarterbacks throwing his way had a 10.1 rating. I don't have last year's stats, but he didn't decline, surely.

Think about that.

He's the FASTEST safety in the AFC, with a 4.36 40 (Bryd was 4.67). And he's as good a tackler as anyone.

McCourty doesn't get the kudos because he's not the big hitter (Polamalu, Chancellor, Ward) and also because he's been playing on a team that hasn't really had a very good defensive backfield around him (Earl Thomas). Thomas and Byrd might be the only two in the league I'd rather have - and I'm not even sure I can say that, hence the "might."

Shiny objects always look better to some people in other uniforms. Truth is, if McCourty hits the FA market next year, he'll be, by far, the top safety available, and he'll get Byrd money easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back