PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty contract talks in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
@AlbertBreer: The Patriots have reached out to start contract talks with veteran S Devin McCourty. He's due $3.97M in the final year of his rookie deal.

The last few deals have been completed after the initial news of negotiating was reported (Thomas, Sherman, Kaepernick) so hopefully Devin will be signed longterm soon. :)

Good to be proactive on this. I've long believed that BB loves McCourty, and that he would pull out the stops to keep him here.

Good to be proactive on this. I've long believed that BB loves McCourty, and that he would pull out the stops to keep him here.

He reminds me very much of Mayo -- guys with the combination of athletic talent, intelligence, leadership and professionalism to help set the tone for the team on and off the field. Players like that get extended.

That's the thing. Everyone looked at his move to safety because Belichick had him in the dog house. Belichick always loved the guy. I think Belichick just felt he was more valuable and impactful as a safety than a CB.

I don't see McCourty leaving the Pats anytime in the foreseeable future.

He reminds me very much of Mayo -- guys with the combination of athletic talent, intelligence, leadership and professionalism to help set the tone for the team on and off the field. Players like that get extended.

My thoughts exactly. Some players just have that about them - Wilfork, Mayo, etc.

That's the thing. Everyone looked at his move to safety because Belichick had him in the dog house. Belichick always loved the guy. I think Belichick just felt he was more valuable and impactful as a safety than a CB.

I don't see McCourty leaving the Pats anytime in the foreseeable future.

Given how bad the defense (safeties, especially) was for those couple years before McCourty took over, let's hope not.

Hope we can keep him. While not the best in the league, I think he is a Top 10 safety. He is worth about $5-6 mil a year imo.

One of the things that I like about this defense is that there's a nice balance between guys with freakish athleticism and ability who can potentially dominate their position and create mismatches (Revis, Chandler Jones, hopefully Collins and Easley, and certainly Wilfork in the past) and guys like McCourty, Mayo and Ninkovich who are incredibly sound and smart, and who help glue everything together. BB has shown in the past how highly he values that second kind of player.

One of the things that I like about this defense is that there's a nice balance between guys with freakish athleticism and ability who can potentially dominate their position and create mismatches (Revis, Chandler Jones, hopefully Collins and Easley, and certainly Wilfork in the past) and guys like McCourty, Mayo and Ninkovich who are incredibly sound and smart, and who help glue everything together. BB has shown in the past how highly he values that second kind of player.
Aren't McCourty and Mayo in the freakishly athletic category, technically going by their combine numbers?

BB will sign him for safety money, then insert him as CB if Revis departs after next year......BB....evil genius

Good to hear. McCourty is one of the better free safeties in the AFC, aside from 2011 (at corner), has had a fine career with the Patriots. He's the reason why the Patriots ranked so high in defending the long pass last year and deserves to get paid. It'll be interesting to see what the guaranteed dollars are on that bad boy.

Aren't McCourty and Mayo in the freakishly athletic category, technically going by their combine numbers?

Both guys certainly have plenty of athleticism, but I don't think of either as creating mismatches so much as being incredibly smart, sound players who stabilize the defense and make everyone else better. JMO - it's probably not worth splitting hairs. Neither is particularly flashy, and both are probably under-valued by the majority of fans and by the media.

Hope we can keep him. While not the best in the league, I think he is a Top 10 safety. He is worth about $5-6 mil a year imo.

In that case, kiss McCourty goodbye.

I think you may wish to reassess player values. The cap is no longer flat.

I think you may wish to reassess player values. The cap is no longer flat.

It will become flat again in 2017 or so I do believe I read, so it is something that needs to be considered. Can't give every player a gigantic contract because of expected growth in the next 2 years, but it does leave additional options at least.

Hopefully we can lock him up for another 3-4 years at 4M/year

Hopefully we can lock him up for another 3-4 years at 4M/year

Lol 4m a year for the 2nd best FS in the league? Look at what Byrd got because McCourty is likely getting similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes