PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty contract talks in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
5. I think if the Pats would extend Revis for $12MM/yr in a nano-second, but I think Revis' number is about 20% higher than that. That being the case, I have no expectations for Revis being a Patriot beyond the 2014 season. I'd rather wait and see how Revis views his Patriot experience after a full year and go from there.

I think just about any team in the NFL would extend Revis for $12MM/yr in a nano-second. It's a no-brainer. Heck, I'd jump at a deal that is 20% higher than that ($14.4M/year AAV). Along with JJ Watt, Revis is probably the most valuable defensive player in the NFL, and smart enough to know his value. I think his Tampa Bay deal - a series of $16M/year 1 year deals - was quite reasonable, and I generally agree with 50-yard-line's assessment earlier in this thread:

Hell, I'd pay Revis the 20million next year and franchise him the two after that if I couldn't reach an extension! They won't even throw at him in OTAs! Yes, he IS that good, and he'll make everyone around him that much better.

I think that any deal less than that is a good deal for the Pats. He'll be that much of a difference maker.

I think that the 2015 salary would need to be guaranteed. All your example really gives McCourty is an $10M guarantee for services past 2014.

OK. I have increased the amount of the 2015 guarantee from 2 to 5 million

I think just about any team in the NFL would extend Revis for $12MM/yr in a nano-second. It's a no-brainer. Heck, I'd jump at a deal that is 20% higher than that ($14.4M/year AAV). Along with JJ Watt, Revis is probably the most valuable defensive player in the NFL, and smart enough to know his value. I think his Tampa Bay deal - a series of $16M/year 1 year deals - was quite reasonable, and I generally agree with 50-yard-line's assessment earlier in this thread:

I think that any deal less than that is a good deal for the Pats. He'll be that much of a difference maker.
Yeah, I'm with you. I think there's almost 0% chance BB lets a HOF corner get away in a passing league. He's not dumb enough to do that.

Yeah, I'm with you. I think there's almost 0% chance BB lets a HOF corner get away in a passing league. He's not dumb enough to do that.

I don't think he would want to and he would do everything he could to find a way to get the deal done, and I'm guessing he was banking on that working from the start, I doubt he ever saw this as a one year rental, however he has limits and he won't just give Revis whatever he demands. As 50 yard line pointed out they could just pay him the 20 million then franchise him but that suggests that Revis would play under a tag and I wouldn't bet on that for one minute.

I do believe they will get this done I just think it is going to be a real challenge.

I doubt he ever saw this as a one year rental, however he has limits and he won't just give Revis whatever he demands.

Yep, Revis plays harder "hardball" than any player in the NFL. Otherwise he'd still be a Jet.

I don't think he would want to and he would do everything he could to find a way to get the deal done, and I'm guessing he was banking on that working from the start, I doubt he ever saw this as a one year rental, however he has limits and he won't just give Revis whatever he demands.
No he doesn't. Belichick has a well documented history of paying premium price for an elite player who's proven he can play at that level in his system. If Revis has a great year, Bill will be happy to give him the top CB contract.

No he doesn't. Belichick has a well documented history of paying premium price for an elite player who's proven he can play at that level in his system. If Revis has a great year, Bill will be happy to give him the top CB contract.

I didn't say he wouldn't pay him top dollar, i said he has a limit,

The bottom line for the secondary is that it revolves around the shutdown corner.The free safety no matter how good he is is a complementary player Unfortunately for the Pats, McCourty is not a shutdown corner so he should get paid half of what they pay Revis. They saving graces are that for next year the cap is likely to increase and that Arrington and his ridiculous contract can be replaced.

Yep, Revis plays harder "hardball" than any player in the NFL. Otherwise he'd still be a Jet.

I agree, but I respect the hell out of him for the deal he made with Tampa Bay as he was willing to go year to year and prove himself each time out for his money and that is rare in pro sports. I think he is still going to want to be among the highest paid and they can get that done and it is the structure of the deal that will be most interesting to follow. Is he going to ask for the big guarantee now that he is almost 30 or will he still be willing to take the big annual salary and forego the big guarantee?

I have a lot of confidence in Belichick to get this done, I think it is about a 70% chance, well worth the risk.

Belichick has a well documented history of paying premium price for an elite player who's proven he can play at that level in his system. If Revis has a great year, Bill will be happy to give him the top CB contract.

I agree with all of this, i have made the same argument many times.

The decision comes down to does Revis want to be one of the greatest corners of all time and win championships or does he just want to be paid?

The decision comes down to does Revis want to be one of the greatest corners of all time and win championships or does he just want to be paid?

While I agree with your comparison, I also think that our money would have to be in the top 2-3 CBs of the league no matter what. There's also the aspect that other contenders will be in play as well, which may help Revis to justify going somewhere else.

I want to believe that it'll get done, and there are some great points from posters in this thread that would point towards a new deal getting done in the offseason, but as Ivan said---there is still going to be a line drawn in the sand. We also have to worry about other teams making stronger offers as well, of course.

While I agree with your comparison, I also think that our money would have to be in the top 2-3 CBs of the league no matter what. There's also the aspect that other contenders will be in play as well, which may help Revis to justify going somewhere else.

I want to believe that it'll get done, and there are some great points from posters in this thread that would point towards a new deal getting done in the offseason, but as Ivan said---there is still going to be a line drawn in the sand. We also have to worry about other teams making stronger offers as well, of course.
I agree with you supa but when it comes to decisions/contracts, I believe them when they are signed, sealed and delivered. I've learnt the hard way in that regard and it's better not to take anything for granted.

I agree with you supa but when it comes to decisions/contracts, I believe them when they are signed, sealed and delivered. I've learnt the hard way in that regard and it's better not to take anything for granted.

I definitely agree with you, my friend. As a matter of fact, there's probably a good chance that I worded my thoughts poorly, because I believe we're fully in agreement. Much like you, I'll believe it when if/when it gets done. Until then, it's just a 50/50 prospect, maybe a bit higher depending on personal view.

In the meantime, there are a ton of things that could happen that would pique Revis' interests as far as exploring other playoff teams that may offer more guaranteed money, etc. I think that was pretty much my main point--that it may not come down to the black and white thinking of "he'll want to play for a contender and have a chance at a ring" that we're all hoping for, although we can all continue to hope that he appreciates the competitive nature and balance of the team here in Foxborough.

I agree, I think this will get done but I won't rule out him leaving for bigger money. Revis is like Mankins imo, he's knows what he is worth and expects to be paid it.

(And no, I am not saying Mankins is the best OG in football right now nor am I saying that he could command another top dollar contract, simply that they approach their contracts the same way, pay me what I am worth or let me go.)

Well we already know he probably could have gotten a better deal elsewhere..but came here instead..he may be changing

Well we already know he probably could have gotten a better deal elsewhere..but came here instead..he may be changing

Just out of curiosity, what team offered him more money this year, BTM?

I think that the specific location/team and its competitiveness will certainly factor into Revis' decision, but the money had better be damn good as well.

At the time, Revis was the highest paid CB per year for 2014 when he signed his deal here, wasn't he? Or am I wrong?

Just out of curiosity, what team offered him more money this year, BTM?

We never heard of any offers. But we heard of rumblings of Cle and another team (i think) with more $$ to spend then the pats. They could have offered more $$ and may have offered more $$...but we don't know if they did definitively.

Hate to continue the hijacking of this so-called McCourty thread but I want to say

Do not see where Revis has changed. He made it a point that his Patriots deal averaged 16M per year - the same as his Buccaneers contract. Therefore, he can technically say that he is still the highest paid cornerback in the game today. He had added to his contract a clause that prevents the Pats from franchising him - a first for a Patriot acquired through free agency. If he plays well in 2014, he has a great deal of leverage in extension negotiations with the Patriots. He made it so that if his 20 million option is not picked up and he and the Patriots can not agree on an extension that he will be an UFA in the early parts of free agency when the dollars are flowing.

I believe that someone in this thread said that they were OK with the Pats accepting the $20 million option and maybe franchise Revis the next two years. His cap numbers would be then $25M in 2015, $30M in 2016, and $36M in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back