PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Desperate need for a legit 3rd option - stats prove it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam Aiken will be single covered every play every game. It is the same with Pierre Garcon in Indy. Defenses will challenge Aiken to beat them just like everyone does with Garcon.

I think it's too much to ask for from him consistantly.

So far, it has been. I sincerely hope JSn is correct though.

Those guys are all fast. Welker is quick, and yes there is a difference. Moss, Jackson, and Henderson all have top end speed and a quick burst off the line to get behind the man. Welker has that burst, but doesn't have sustained deep threat speed on the perimeter. That burst is good though. It's what makes him most dangerous in the slot because he's able to cut in and out of his routes and turn it immediately upfield with the greatest of ease.

True, all 3 of those guys are speed guys, and as you mentioned, quickness is a much different skill. But I was surprised and impressed at how well he did when he was playing wideout. He's a very polished route runner, and I'd love to see more of him and Edelman out there at the same time.

Re: Deserate need for a legit 3rd option - stats prove it

He's not very good depth then.

By depth I mean a #5 WR, not a #3. Heck, even then, I really don't think Aiken should play much wide receiver. He was not on the radar coming into the season at the position. He's in there b/c we're in dire straits at the position, we couldn't resign Gaffney, Lewis was a bust, Galloway was a bust, Edelman is hurt & Tate re-injured his knee.

I think people forget how balanced the wide receiving group used to be. Just because it didn't have players as good as Moss or Welker doesn't mean it lacked depth. Brown-Branch-Givens-Patten [and even the much maligned Bethel Johnson contributed]. There were no studs, but the receivers were good and versatile. Sam Aiken, not so much.

Last edited:
I wonder if Childress was right that the Pats would've taken Percy Harvin had he fell to the Pats. I was a Harvin doubter, but not anymore.

By depth I mean a #5 WR, not a #3. Heck, even then, I really don't think Aiken should play much wide receiver. He was not on the radar coming into the season at the position. He's in there b/c we're in dire straits at the position, we couldn't resign Gaffney, Lewis was a bust, Galloway was a bust, Edelman is hurt & Tate re-injured his knee.

I think people forget how balanced the wide receiving group used to be. Just because it didn't have players as good as Moss or Welker doesn't mean it lacked depth. Brown-Branch-Givens-Patten [and even the much maligned Bethel Johnson contributed]. There were no studs, but the receivers were good and versatile. Sam Aiken, not so much.

Troy Brown and David Patten didn't have the quickest starts to their careers either, and Brown at least was around a decent QB who was throwing the ball around the yard. Their have been quite a few STs who developed into decent offensive players late in their careers; Mike Furrey is a recent example. Jimmy Smith didn't do anything his first five years kicking around the league.

Obviously no one should be expecting a 100-rec season, but I'm willing to see what Aiken can do over an extended period, and I find it a little curious you call Bethel much-maligned while you dump on Aiken. When Jabar Gaffney came to this team, after being cut twice in one offseason, he was an afterthought. Half the forum hadn't even heard of him. With the Pats, the most receptions he had was 38. I think it's possible Aiken could develop into that sort of player after his introductory year.

Our third option will be BRANDON TATE!!!
That kid will be one of the best young recievers in the league!!
I see him as a percy harvin or a jeremy maclin

Troy Brown and David Patten didn't have the quickest starts to their careers either, and Brown at least was around a decent QB who was throwing the ball around the yard. Their have been quite a few STs who developed into decent offensive players late in their careers; Mike Furrey is a recent example. Jimmy Smith didn't do anything his first five years kicking around the league.

Obviously no one should be expecting a 100-rec season, but I'm willing to see what Aiken can do over an extended period, and I find it a little curious you call Bethel much-maligned while you dump on Aiken. When Jabar Gaffney came to this team, after being cut twice in one offseason, he was an afterthought. Half the forum hadn't even heard of him. With the Pats, the most receptions he had was 38. I think it's possible Aiken could develop into that sort of player after his introductory year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dump on Aiken, just skeptical about if he is or ever will be a wide receiver capable of the 30+ snaps a game he is getting. Up until a few weeks ago & his 81 yard reception, he had one of the worst DVOAs of any wideout in the game according to footballoutsiders. He's not catching balls thrown his way and I can remember more drops than memorable catches from him.

If you go back two years and look at training camp reports, you can see me singing his praises and saying he might turn into something. I'm now much more skeptical of what he can do.

As for Bethel, the truth is, he made more big plays with less opportunity than Aiken has. Bethel had some memorable plays and in some big games for this team.

Which is all besides the point - whether or not Aiken will become a true #3 wideout is irrelevant, the point is, he's not right now and its hurting this team. Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Last edited:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dump on Aiken, just skeptical about if he is or ever will be a wide receiver capable of the 30+ snaps a game he is getting. Up until a few weeks ago & his 81 yard reception, he had one of the worst DVOAs of any wideout in the game according to footballoutsiders. He's not catching balls thrown his way and I can remember more drops than memorable catches from him.

If you go back two years and look at training camp reports, you can see me singing his praises and saying he might turn into something. I'm now much more skeptical of what he can do.

As for Bethel, the truth is, he made more big plays with less opportunity than Aiken has. Bethel had some memorable plays and in some big games for this team.

Which is all besides the point - whether or not Aiken will become a true #3 wideout is irrelevant, the point is, he's not right now and its hurting this team. Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Fair enough. Though I think you've forgotten all of Bethel's miscues and drops.

I believed earlier in the season that, Galloway and Lewis would have been great additions to the team. The loss of Gaffney really shortened the WR corps. Bill Belichick should have made a trade for a 3rd option, heck even a fourth option. Look at Brees and Manning, they each have at least 3 productive WRs and 1 productive tight end. If you look at the Pats from 2007,
man, they had weapons. But now, theres a reason why Welker and Moss are the top 2 receivers in yards this season. Please!!!!!!!!! The Pats need more options!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I would have really liked the Pats to have signed Devery Henderson in the offseason. He's a dangerous speed guy who makes defenses pay if they don't pay adequate attention to him. He would have played the Donte Stallworth role for us quite well.

Last edited:
The pats have Edelman as our #3 since early training camp. He beat out both Lewis and Galloway for reps. Tate was our #4 when he beat out Galloway.

For example, Brady spready the ball around MORE than Manning. 9 of our players have 120 or more catches against 6 for the colts.

Our #3 option has been a combination of Edelman and Aiken, depending on whether Edelman is healthy. The combo has 42 catches, a reasonable #3 option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back