Deion wants #1 $, Pats want #1 pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
According to Fanball.com, quoting the Herald, the Pats want a #1 pick for the trade to happen (look in "Newsmakers," 8/25, 15:04.)

This looks more and more like a deal intended not to happen.

PFnV

Essentially, if Deion is worth the money his agent is saying he is worth, then he should also be worth a #1 pick as well.

So the thinking does make sense.

You are worth what the market says you are worth. So we will see what the value really is!

The only teams that might give up a #1 pick would be play-off

bound teams like Pittsburgh, Seattle, Denver, and Dallas. The

Pats would deal him to an AFC competitor if it was the best offer

(Drew Bledsoe to Buffalo).

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimke said:

You may be right about the Bledsoe thing.

But I also think the Pats felt adding Bledsoe to a division rival might actually work to the Pats advantage given BB's ownage of him!

Jimke said:

No chance for those teams bolded.

Here's an idea from the Herald..

2. Buffalo Bills-- This would be a way for the Pats to punish Branch, who would have to play on the tundra for a team without a quarterback. The Bills are thin at wideout, where Eric Moulds is gone, Lee Evans is the new No. 1, and Peerless Price is an underachiever. And for those questioning the wisdom of trading within the division, we offer two names: Drew Bledsoe and Lawyer Milloy.

Boy that last line is coooooollllldddddd!!

Branch to Buffalo for thier #1 pick next year (they might finish ahead of the Jets, but thats about it)

also for me it will be not easy to take a first pick - of course i hope so but a 2nd round looks more probable

FreeTedWilliams said:
Here's an idea from the Herald..

2. Buffalo Bills-- This would be a way for the Pats to punish Branch, who would have to play on the tundra for a team without a quarterback. The Bills are thin at wideout, where Eric Moulds is gone, Lee Evans is the new No. 1, and Peerless Price is an underachiever. And for those questioning the wisdom of trading within the division, we offer two names: Drew Bledsoe and Lawyer Milloy.

Boy that last line is coooooollllldddddd!!

Branch to Buffalo for thier #1 pick next year (they might finish ahead of the Jets, but thats about it)
I would absolutely LOVE THIS.

Buffalo sucks and we would definitely get a top 10 pick.

Keegs said:

See I think Buffalo isn't a playoff team but they are on the bubble.. They have concerns at QB but their team has SPIKES and that makes the defense a LOT BETTER! Plus if McGahee can get running that makes them that much better.. Defense who stop the run and offenses that run the ball are always able to knock out teams.. So don't count out Buffalo.. Just yet :)

1) Branch wouldn't sign a contract with Buffalo.
2) Buffalo wouldn't give us a first.

Other than that, celebrate the possibility.

You DO understand that Branch needs to sign any extension or new contract?

Keegs said:

Last edited:
mgteich said:
1) Branch wouldn't sign a contract with Buffalo.
2) Buffalo wouldn't give us a first.

Other than that, celebrate the possibility.

You DO understand that Branch needs to sign any extension or new contract?
Of course I realize it is far fetched.

Of course I realize that Branch needs to sign a new Contract.

That is why i would Love it so much. It would be great for us.

I never said it was likely or going to happen.

FreeTedWilliams said:
And for those questioning the wisdom of trading within the division, we offer two names: Drew Bledsoe and Lawyer Milloy.
Milloy was cut, not traded. Didn't Bledsoe pull a first rounder too? I doubt the Bills would give us a 1st rounder for Branch.

branch is absolutely not worth what he and his agent think.

I think this whole trade scenario is going to be very embarassing to branch.

It could make things worse instead of better. You never can tell with these ego guys.

As for the teams actually giving up a 1st, dumber things have happened.

Obviously he is not worth a first, but just like some idiot team will break the bank for him, there is a team worth giving up picks.

Having said that, I do not think it will happen.

The problem is finding a team stupid enough to both break the bank and give up a high pick. Branch's agent is right. Branch would be worth a lot as a free agent. Consider how much more than Givens would someone give. The problem, of course, is that Branch is not a free agent. BTW, why didn't the patriots not franchise Givens. Could it be that the pats simply don't think a wide receiver is worth $6M a year in the patriots offense?

Gopats!!! said:
branch is absolutely not worth what he and his agent think.

I think this whole trade scenario is going to be very embarassing to branch.

It could make things worse instead of better. You never can tell with these ego guys.

As for the teams actually giving up a 1st, dumber things have happened.

Obviously he is not worth a first, but just like some idiot team will break the bank for him, there is a team worth giving up picks.

Having said that, I do not think it will happen.

It's the TRADE part of the deal that is the kicker...

In the opinion of Deion's agent, if not the WR himself, he is worth #1 money. If that evaluation is correct, he should be able to find a team willing to trade #1 talent to get him.

He won't.

What he will find is offers of #1 money made by GMs whose only purpose is to entertain themselves and discomfit the Pats, by fanning the flames of Deion's dissatisfaction.

Any team will be willing to offer imaginary dollars for Deion. But no team will be willing to offer real talent, the sort that the Patriots would accept.

There will be no deal for Deion Branch. And Branch will discover that no matter how many imaginary dollars some sly GM talks about, he's not worth a #1 draft pick to any team.

It's not that Deion isn't good. He IS good. But what makes him outstanding is Tom Brady. Tom Brady is why David Givens was offered so much money. Tom Brady is the reason David Patten got the offer he did. Good as these receivers may be, it is Brady who makes them exceptional.

I think the other teams in the league understand this--I think they learned it from Patten and I suspect Givens will reinforce the message. I also think it's time we realized it ourselves. We may not have a roster full of big-name receivers with terrific records, but it won't matter. If they're reasonably competent, Brady will make stars out of them.

Branch will be back. But in the unlikely event that he isn't, we'll be just fine.

NEM said:
The Cardinals have more money left to spend than there is in Fort Knox. How about a threesome of receivers, Boldin, FitzGerald, Branch....

Now, what could they give us?....

We could get Brandon Gorin back....

How about Four season seats for NEM, the Pats Arizona talent scout?

Barry Goldwater's old plans to bomb the world?

Free membership for NEM in the Arizona Cardinals Fan CLub, doubling their membership to two?

Bill Bidwill's bow tie to auction off on E-Bay?

Or maybe Bill Bidwill himself, to auction off on E-Bay?

A video of Matt Leinart's last date with Paris Hilton?

Unlimited entries into "the Pink Taco"?

mcsully said:
See I think Buffalo isn't a playoff team but they are on the bubble.. They have concerns at QB but their team has SPIKES and that makes the defense a LOT BETTER! Plus if McGahee can get running that makes them that much better.. Defense who stop the run and offenses that run the ball are always able to knock out teams.. So don't count out Buffalo.. Just yet :)

Buffalo has no viable QB and an atrocius OL. Yes, a good D. Color them dead LAST in the AFCE.

I would get serious wood seeing Branch exiled to them, however the owner old man Wilson does not like Kraft and even though senile remembers being taken on the Bledsoe deal. NFW this happens.

I think that Branch in case it left the Pats, would be by a CB and an election in the Draft.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft