PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 1 FA - Will YOU Be Able to Keep It in Perspective?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the most part, the first two days of free agency represents the worst value. Most of those players get top money and frequently do not proper value.

Arguably the best free agency year of the Belichick era (2003), the Pats didn't make a move for about a week into free agency.

Ken, we NEED an impact SS and TE to complement Gronk VERY BADLY.

To me, going into the season with Dennard and Ryan at CB is not as big a worry as those other two positions.
Cmon Shmess, you should know by now that SS isn't even a position in the Pats defensive system. By definition the "SS" always plays to the "strong side" of the formation, or the wide field, or some other designation. The Pats don't often flop their Safeties.

In fact as passing games become more complex and fast, and coverage ability becomes more critical to all S's, the true "SS" is becoming a thing of the past. If you ask me, could the Pats use some more size back at S, I'd agree, but NOT if it means any concession to coverage ability.

As to the TE position. I agree that that's a need. A position were there are several low cost options available right now. Off the top of my head, Scott Chandler, Owen Daniel, etc And THEN we have the draft

BTW- I'm kind of shocked that you perceive the need of an "impact SS" whatever that is. Where does one go to get one? Who is even out there that would meet that need for you?

And how did you become one of those who need immediate gratification and can't wait for players to develop over time, The Seattle D took several years to take shape. You want to discard Harmon after one season in the league, and Wilson after one year of regression.

Cmon man. You're better than that.

As for the "sky is falling" crowd, name the other team in the league that is going to get 3 multiple all pro players in the off season (4 if you count Vince).

2 things to remember All the media calls for "going for it" are merely whines from guys who only care about their own self interests. If the Pats sign big names, they become easy stories for them to write about. If they don't there are easy stories to write bashing the Pats for not being aggressive. :rolleyes:

Remember when the media and fans were all hot on the Pats because they signed Haynesworth and Johnson, who both flamed out. (and they never miss the opportunity to hypocritically condemn the Pats for the signings after the fact). They forget the signings of Carter and the other DE who helped the Pats to a Superbowl, that came in July and went completely under the radar

And since I'm well into rant mode. F those who keep up the rant that the Pats could have another Lombardi or 2 if they had only been more aggressive in FA. They would have had another 2 Lombardi's is Welker had caught the ball, or the ball bounced their way on any of the 4 fumbles,they had that night or Gronk hadn't be hurt. Or if Tyree hadn't caught the ball, or Samuel hadn't dropped the pick, or the refs had call Eli "in the grasp" or holding, etc etc. NONE of those things had anything to do with signing more FA's, Any 2 of them and the Pats have 2 more rings.

We are the fans of the best run franchise in ALL of sports, yet EVERY mediot and most of the fans all think they can do a better job. What a joke. :mad:

Sorry Shmess, for hijacking your thread for my little rant. I feel better now. ;)

Looking around the forum at how many people want the Pats to push their chips in the middle of the table and go all in, you can tell that we're creeping up on a decade of the last Super Bowl win. The Pats have the cap room and some major needs with good football players at said positions of need having made their money and are now looking to sign with a contender (like Allen). On top of that, they have their own FA's to sign. If the team is stagnant in the next couple of days, it will be disappointing. I didn't go into today expecting much outside of maybe Edelman resigning, though, so I will be easily impressed.

You're gonna be wicked pissed

Christopher Price @cpriceNFL
It Is What It Is >> Report: Julian Edelman will test free-agent market after not reaching deal with Pats It Is What It Is » Report: Julian Edelman will test free-agent market after not reaching deal with Patriots … via @WEEI
24s
Albert Breer ✔ @AlbertBreer
Edelman hasn't ruled out a return to the Patriots. But again, the market will determine how feasible that is. Sides plan to talk more.
Expand
1m
Julian Edelman will indeed the free agent market. The Patriots' offer fell short of his expectations, so the market will now dictate things.

As for the "sky is falling" crowd, name the other team in the league that is going to get 3 multiple all pro players in the off season (4 if you count Vince).

Ken, i think you are conflating the legion of the Miserable who are never satisfied with anything with those who are simply stating their obvious needs as they go into the offseason. The list Kontra proviided is right on the money, and i don't think anyone other than a misguided few really believes they are going to go after the biggest names in free agency as the answer to their needs. personally I expect the released veterans to be where Belichick focuses his energy, and not the free agent marketplace minus those players. Peppers, Allen, Lance Moore etc.... are the kind of signings we should be looking for, and not Whitner, Decker, Micheal johnson etc....

we had a monster team in the 70's...Ben dreith stopped us from our first Super Bowl IMO...I will die believing that

Your lips to god's ears

And then in the 80s, we get to the SB, and as Steve Nelson once said "take the lead only to fall victim to the Greatest SB Comeback Evah!"

Free agency hasn't even officially opened and people are losing their minds about Edelman. Nice thread idea, but I think there are more noes than yeses.

Free agency hasn't even officially opened and people are losing their minds about Edelman. Nice thread idea, but I think there are more noes than yeses.

Yeah, but most of them will come around as soon as the Pats sign Jared Allen, DeMarcus Ware, Julius Peppers, Alex Mack, Jarius Byrd and Darrelle Revis.

Yup, I have my popcorn ready!

"9 years of mediocrity!!!!!!!!!"

Yeah, but most of them will come around as soon as the Pats sign Jared Allen, DeMarcus Ware, Julius Peppers, Alex Mack, Jarius Byrd and Darrelle Revis.

I won't rest easy 'til i see Adam Seward putting on the Flying Elvis.

It Is What It Is >> Report: Julian Edelman will test free-agent market after not reaching deal with Pats It Is What It Is » Report: Julian Edelman will test free-agent market after not reaching deal with Patriots … via @WEEI
24s
Edelman hasn't ruled out a return to the Patriots. But again, the market will determine how feasible that is. Sides plan to talk more.
Expand
1m
Julian Edelman will indeed the free agent market. The Patriots' offer fell short of his expectations, so the market will now dictate things.

I noted in that thread that it's hard for me to fault either side. Pats offered more than I thought they would and did it right (with escalators and incentives). Edelman wants to get paid and careers are short in this league. Edelman leaving, if that happens, won't make or break the offense. He can be replaced. Talib, on the other hand, is a bit harder to replaced. They need to take care of business with him.

Ken, i think you are conflating the legion of the Miserable who are never satisfied with anything with those who are simply stating their obvious needs as they go into the offseason. The list Kontra proviided is right on the money, and i don't think anyone other than a misguided few really believes they are going to go after the biggest names in free agency as the answer to their needs. personally I expect the released veterans to be where Belichick focuses his energy, and not the free agent marketplace minus those players. Peppers, Allen, Lance Moore etc.... are the kind of signings we should be looking for, and not Whitner, Decker, Micheal johnson etc....
My issue with Kontra is not so much with the list, but the overall mood of the post, which make it seem like the Pats have tons of holes on their team, and are on the verge of falling off a talent precipice. Which is simply not the case.

Despite all the wants to upgrade, and the 4-6 positional needs to add depth, and the one "hole" at DT, the Pats are much better off than most of the 32 teams out there, most of whom would LOVE to be in our position.

So yes we need a 3rd DE, a couple of LB's, and TE's and upgrade on the interior OL, etc. There is a big difference in the 3 categories of want, need, and have to have. My impression was the Kontra intentionally blurred those lines in order to make his post as negative as it could be. There is nothing wrong with that, btw. We have all skewed the facts a bit, on occasion, in order to make the data better fit our POV.

I just wanted point out "the sky isn't falling", and there is a long way to go from now and Labor Day, And MOST importantly, what the Pats do or do not do in the next 2 weeks isn't going to make or break their 2014 season.

You should freak out too. You might have to change your avatar.:)

omg pats aren't talking to jimmy graham..**** this

24s
Expand
1m

I think Edelman would have been crazy to sign with the Pats before FA. He deserved to see what he is worth on the open market after his break out year.... and I'm comfortable with it.

The thing is that last season he was also a FA and 31 teams evaluated him and decided he wasn't worth even a $700,000 offer. My guess the Pats offered about a 3 year deal at about $10-12MM, A deal where he'd have to be on the field in order to get the $3=4MM/yr, much like Talib is going to get.

If that's the case, I'd be hard pressed to see who'd give him more than that. There only a few teams who would go much over that, and he'd fit in. Cleveland, Denver, and Houston, are the 3 that come to mind because they all have Pats connections, and Denver only if Welker is released in a cap move.

We had some members over here wondering if we even needed Edelman anymore ...

that says it all.

My issue with Kontra is not so much with the list, but the overall mood of the post, which make it seem like the Pats have tons of holes on their team, and are on the verge of falling off a talent precipice. Which is simply not the case.

Despite all the wants to upgrade, and the 4-6 positional needs to add depth, and the one "hole" at DT, the Pats are much better off than most of the 32 teams out there, most of whom would LOVE to be in our position.

So yes we need a 3rd DE, a couple of LB's, and TE's and upgrade on the interior OL, etc. There is a big difference in the 3 categories of want, need, and have to have. My impression was the Kontra intentionally blurred those lines in order to make his post as negative as it could be. There is nothing wrong with that, btw. We have all skewed the facts a bit, on occasion, in order to make the data better fit our POV.

I just wanted point out "the sky isn't falling", and there is a long way to go from now and Labor Day, And MOST importantly, what the Pats do or do not do in the next 2 weeks isn't going to make or break their 2014 season.

I have never gotten that sense from his posts, I think he's one of the more level headed posters here and his analysis is usually pretty accurate. I do think there is a contingent of fans who are just miserable and or trolls who look for the negative in everything but i think they are obvious and distinct from those who are simply thinking critically. The Patriots are both in good shape overall and in need of a number of things to really improve the team so they can legitimately make a run at the Lombardi next season.they are already a final 4 caliber team but this years Seahawks would have destroyed them in the Super Bowl and they need to build a team this offseason who could deal with them and the other top 5 contenders.

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter·34 secs
From me and Ed Werder: Cowboys are expected to release DeMarcus Ware, according to two sources.

SIGN THE BEAST!!!

FIVE MINUTES UNTIL MELTDOWN!!

omg pats aren't talking to jimmy graham..**** this

Thanks for reminding me. I am trying to get as much oxygen as possible right now because in a few minutes i have to start holding my breath until Belichick makes the moves i want him to.

OK. It's 4 O'clock.......

Attachments

• tuesday.jpg
    tuesday.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 34
4:00 P.M.. gotta go, time to see what i am worth on the open market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes