PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 1 FA - Will YOU Be Able to Keep It in Perspective?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Let's see how many posters are throwing themselves off a bridge tonight. Perhaps they should understand this perspective.

From Bedard:

Free agency 2014 live blog | The MMQB with Peter King

".....Last year 10 teams signed players on the first day of free agency. Three of those teams made the playoffs, with two (Broncos and Colts) making a repeat trip after signing mid-level free agents. The third, the Eagles, made the playoffs after missing them the previous year, but the player they signed, NT Isaac Sopoaga, was traded during the season to New England, where he finished the year on the bench......"

If they don't sign Revis, Talib, Ward, Byrd, Allen, Peppers, Edelman, Nicks, Sanders, and Jacoby Jones by midnight tonight, I'm not watching a single snap this season.

Let's see how many posters are throwing themselves off a bridge tonight. Perhaps they should understand this perspective.

From Bedard:

Free agency 2014 live blog | The MMQB with Peter King

".....Last year 10 teams signed players on the first day of free agency. Three of those teams made the playoffs, with two (Broncos and Colts) making a repeat trip after signing mid-level free agents. The third, the Eagles, made the playoffs after missing them the previous year, but the player they signed, NT Isaac Sopoaga, was traded during the season to New England, where he finished the year on the bench......"

I do think it's a better FA crop this year. But with Talib and mini-tron you this is one of the more interesting FA years

Will YOU Be Able to Keep It in Perspective? Will YOU!??!?!?!

In all seriousness, the current perspective out there now is that bad teams spend a lot in free agency so I ask you this. If we go out resign Talib, Edleman and Revis day 1. Should we expect failure?

Obviously, the board has already shown that we can't keep it in perspective.

Thinking about the last major personnel decision of any kind that that board "kept in perspective." Thinking...thinking....

Will YOU Be Able to Keep It in Perspective? Will YOU!??!?!?!

In all seriousness, the current perspective out there now is that bad teams spend a lot in free agency so I ask you this. If we go out resign Talib, Edleman and Revis day 1. Should we expect failure?

LOL - - I thought I should channel Shaughnessy with that thread title. I now feel dirty (and ignorant). Will shower promptly.

The subject is not signing one's own.

The subject was about signing NEW FA's.

If you read Bedard's column, he emphasizes that a new FA is less of an addition early on because he has to learn a new system and catch up. He posits that it is more efficient to resign your own if the player is a good fit.

Thinking about the last major personnel decision of any kind that that board "kept in perspective." Thinking...thinking....

Tim Tebow. That was very appropriately handled by this board.

Now, now. Admit it ... if they only approached the offseason like the Redskins, the Pats would have 6 more Lombardi trophies by now.

tumblr_mhergtl0g01riiqh0o1_500.jpg

Looking around the forum at how many people want the Pats to push their chips in the middle of the table and go all in, you can tell that we're creeping up on a decade of the last Super Bowl win. The Pats have the cap room and some major needs with good football players at said positions of need having made their money and are now looking to sign with a contender (like Allen). On top of that, they have their own FA's to sign. If the team is stagnant in the next couple of days, it will be disappointing. I didn't go into today expecting much outside of maybe Edelman resigning, though, so I will be easily impressed.

I'm still working on what my existing perspective is. Then and only then will I be able to understand if I can keep it in.

One thing that is abundantly clear.

Today of all days, the Refresh button is not a Patriots fan's friend. :)

If they don't sign Revis, Talib, Ward, Byrd, Allen, Peppers, Edelman, Nicks, Sanders, and Jacoby Jones by midnight tonight, I'm not watching a single snap this season.

I see what you've done there.

It sounds like you're happy with mediocrity then. I personally don't get excited when we sign guys like Hooman, Arrington for top dollar, a chronically injured Amendola and Austin Collie. Maybe that means I don't know football very well.

Tim Tebow. That was very appropriately handled by this board.

You're right! Ask any of our new guests from last summer - - this board handled it miles better than the Broncos or Jets boards did.

Pssstttt.....given the history, maybe it's not the boards, maybe it's Tebow......

Mods will be busy with useless "why didn't we get him" threads

looking around the forum at how many people want the pats to push their chips in the middle of the table and go all in, you can tell that we're creeping up on a decade of the last super bowl win. The pats have the cap room and some major needs with good football players at said positions of need having made their money and are now looking to sign with a contender (like allen). On top of that, they have their own fa's to sign. If the team is stagnant in the next couple of days, it will be disappointing. I didn't go into today expecting much outside of maybe edelman resigning, though, so i will be easily impressed.

But that window is closing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's see how many posters are throwing themselves off a bridge tonight.
I just hope their numbers include all the ADHD WR-crazy fantasy football video gamers. They don't do well sans immediate gratification.

I see what you've done there.

It sounds like you're happy with mediocrity then. I personally don't get excited when we sign guys like Hooman, Arrington for top dollar, a chronically injured Amendola and Austin Collie. Maybe that means I don't know football very well.

.....or that you must LOVE the Redskins.

The rest of us get excited by 13 straight winning seasons and perennially in the tournament every single year at the end. By then, it is just a dice throw regarding team health.

But that window is closing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand you're saying this sarcastically, and I'm fluent in that language, but Brady will be 37 to start the season. The window actually is closing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes