PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

David Yudkin on Marc Bulger and the Patriots starting QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't put any stock in fantasy website ramblings but here is what this guy thought of O'Connell 10 days ago, before he likely talked to some mediot source who also doesn't have actual team sources...

"Here are basically the options as I see it.

For 2008, if Cassel bombs or gets hurt early in the season, they will have to go with Gutierrez. If it's later in the year, it would probably be O'Connell. I don't think they really love Gutierrez, but he's their best immediate backup as of today. Another option if Cassel went down may be Testaverde, but they don't want to shake Cassel's confidence by even exploring other options.

Cassell is a free agent after this year, and if he does well in 2008 he will probably move on for a lot more money. If he does terrible then they probably wouldn't want him back in the first place. So for Cassel to return next year, he has do do ok but not great. And by then I would think O'Connell would move up to the #2 spot if Cassel were out of the picture. "

The thing people seem unwilling to acknowledge is O'Connell was drafted as a sleeper/value pick who had the potential to develop into something more if he could be coached out of some poor mechanics and bad judgements that resulted in less than stellar accuracy. He's a tools project who might develop well over a couple of years under exceptional coaching in a stable environment and a sound system. 5 months later that is still the case as well it should be and anyone who actually watched him perform in camp and pre season (against 3rd and 4th stringers) knows that. Just like they knew Gutierrez wasn't progressing and would end up as odd man out.

Only those who approached camp and preseason with preconceived notions based on media spin and limited vision got snookered and just can't admit it. And now they want this kid to somehow vindicate them. That's just foolishness. Cassel isn't Brady, but he's also not a bad backup on an otherwise functioning team. Just gotta see if they can get it functioning. Bill told the team after week 2 we're gonna ride Cassel and play tough, hardnosed team football. Sadly we didn't in week 3. Cassel can't save them from that. Brady rarely could either. O'Connell wouldn't have an icebergs chance in hell...

Kevin O'Connell - Footballguys Forums

Whoever plays QB for us or not this season, I would appreciate if some of the [roosters] on this site would wait until the current QB is actually benched before crowing.

Last edited:
Cassel isn't Brady, but he's also not a bad backup on an otherwise functioning team.[/url]

I'm getting tired of talking about Cassel, O'C, etc. as I'm sure many others are, but this post struck me.

I really think fans on this site would do well to remind themselves of the fact that Cassel is a backup quarterback. It'll help w the bloated expectations.

Most teams can hardly compete with their starting QB as it is, the expectation that we - as one of the few teams who has a starting QB great enough to carry a team - also have the luxury of having a backup who is a world beater the instant he's called upon is kind of silly.

Cassel is a backup. A backup who has been in this system for 4 years (bonus).

We will be playing the rest of the regular season with said backup.

There are not any quality starting QBs sitting around twiddling their thumbs.

This is the reality of the situation, we'll see what happens. I'll again advise pats fans just to go along for the ride.

Last edited:
I don't put any stock in fantasy website ramblings but here is what this guy thought of O'Connell 10 days ago, before he likely talked to some mediot source who also doesn't have actual team sources...

For 2008, if Cassel bombs or gets hurt early in the season, they will have to go with Gutierrez. If it's later in the year, it would probably be O'Connell. I don't think they really love Gutierrez, but he's their best immediate backup as of today. Another option if Cassel went down may be Testaverde, but they don't want to shake Cassel's confidence by even exploring other options.

Cassell is a free agent after this year, and if he does well in 2008 he will probably move on for a lot more money. If he does terrible then they probably wouldn't want him back in the first place. So for Cassel to return next year, he has do do ok but not great. And by then I would think O'Connell would move up to the #2 spot if Cassel were out of the picture. "

The thing people seem unwilling to acknowledge is O'Connell was drafted as a sleeper/value pick who had the potential to develop into something more if he could be coached out of some poor mechanics and bad judgements that resulted in less than stellar accuracy. He's a tools project who might develop well over a couple of years under exceptional coaching in a stable environment and a sound system. 5 months later that is still the case as well it should be and anyone who actually watched him perform in camp and pre season (against 3rd and 4th stringers) knows that. Just like they knew Gutierrez wasn't progressing and would end up as odd man out.

Only those who approached camp and preseason with preconceived notions based on media spin and limited vision got snookered and just can't admit it. And now they want this kid to somehow vindicate them. That's just foolishness. Cassel isn't Brady, but he's also not a bad backup on an otherwise functioning team. Just gotta see if they can get it functioning. Bill told the team after week 2 we're gonna ride Cassel and play tough, hardnosed team football. Sadly we didn't in week 3. Cassel can't save them from that. Brady rarely could either. O'Connell wouldn't have an icebergs chance in hell...

Spot on. And according to BB's interview he feels the OL, though inconsistent, has also shown some good things too. If he's being straight up then it's not sounding like we should expect any major changes there. If what we've seen is pretty much what we're going to get, other teams will throw 'the kitchen sink' at O'C and you'd better pray our OL is having a very good day that day.

I really think fans on this site would do well to remind themselves of the fact that Cassel is a backup quarterback. It'll help w the bloated expectations.

The problem with this argument is that he isn't a backup. Maybe he was supposed to be at the outset, but the starter went down for the season 7 minutes into it. There's always the risk something like that will happen, however unlikely, and this team, which was favored to win the Super Bowl before Brady got hurt, should have been prepared for that.

Whether he was a backup or not, he is now the starter and should be treated as such. This isn't the preseason anymore.

Jeff Garcia isnt a quality starting QB?Why is everyone hating on this guy?He still makes nice throws and has been in the league for awhile now.I would want him for the right price.

Marc Bulger is not coming here. This is all just speculation, IMO.
BB/Pioli are not stupid and we are not that desperate. Matt Cassell is in charge and we all have to accept it. We all need to realize that there are going to be good games, like the one we saw against the Jets and bad games like the one that we saw on Sunday. What I hope for is better execution from this team in the future than what I saw on Sunday. They are CAPABLE OF DOING THAT. My biggest complaint from the preseason was the overall lack of FUNDAMENTAL EXECUTION, Blocking, Tackling, etc. We saw a lot of that on Sunday, IMO.
As for Matt Cassell, he must learn from his mistakes. It is too early to start talking about bringing in another QB or about putting O'Connell out there. That would be a panic move, IMO. There is no need for that. We just played our 3rd game of the season, not our 8th.
Now, if he continues to make the same mistakes, THEN WE HAVE A PROBLEM. Sunday's loss was not on him. I put FULL BLAME on the defensive execution and the coaching staff.

Last edited:
The problem with this argument is that he isn't a backup. Maybe he was supposed to be at the outset, but the starter went down for the season 7 minutes into it. There's always the risk something like that will happen, however unlikely, and this team, which was favored to win the Super Bowl before Brady got hurt, should have been prepared for that.

Whether he was a backup or not, he is now the starter and should be treated as such. This isn't the preseason anymore.

Based on your argument, the Patriots should have a limitless supply of starting caliber QBs lined up in case any one of them gets injured? He's a backup. Our starter is injured, and now he's playing. He's a backup QB.

Last edited:
Based on your argument, the Patriots should have a limitless supply of starting caliber QBs lined up in case any one of them gets injured? He's a backup. Our starter is injured, and now he's playing. He's a backup QB.

Billy Volek, Kerry Collins, and so on... these guys are backups but are of starting caliber. Is Matt Cassel? Doesn't look like it so far, but I'll hold out hope.

As Walter Cronkite might say: that's the way it is.

Let's face it, folks. Our future this season is married to Matt: for better or worse, for richer blocking or poorer, in IR, PUP, inactive and in health.

Last edited:
Kevin O'Connell will be starting by week 6

He's clearly the better QB

Billy Volek, Kerry Collins, and so on... these guys are backups but are of starting caliber. Is Matt Cassel? Doesn't look like it so far, but I'll hold out hope.

On Volek:

Fisher says Volek lied to him, let organization down - NFL - CBSSports.com Live Scores, Standings and Stats

"He was untruthful with me, untruthful with his head coach, about where he was and what he was doing. So we started off on the wrong page there, and that did not sit well with me," Fisher said.

On Collins:

Kerry Collins Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

14 years in the league prior to this season, 2 with a rating above 80 and a career rating of 73.5

The grass is always greener, I guess....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference