PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darius Butler vs. the Packers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say he wasn't beaten. Actually, I said the opposite...

I just said that I didn't believe that he got smoked or burned. To me, a "smoking" or a "burning" is when the receiver has five or more yards on the corner. That wasn't the case. He had a yard to maybe a yard and a half at the very most on McCourty. That's why I believe, had Meriweather not slammed into him, McCourty still could have pulled him down from behind. Hell, as it is, if Meriweather had taken the proper angle, he could have de-cleated Jones.

As it is, I don't think we disagree much on the fact that McCourty was beaten. What we disagree on is just how badly he was beaten, what would have happen had he had the chance to run with Jones, and, apparently, whether or not Meriweather took a bad angle.

As I noted:

You seem to see a DB making a good play, despite being beaten cleanly.

I don't see McCourty recovering and making the tackle. You do. Hence the above line.

Also, Meriweather's angle was clearly not a good one. We don't disagree on that.

That was the First time we saw McCourty get Beaten on a go route...take a picture.:camera: I better not see it again.:mad:;)

As I noted:

I don't see McCourty recovering and making the tackle. You do. Hence the above line.

Ah, I got you now. I thought you were saying that I saw McCourty making a good play, as in being right there to knock the ball down, contest the throw, etc.

Ah, I got you now. I thought you were saying that I saw McCourty making a good play, as in being right there to knock the ball down, contest the throw, etc.

Yeah, my bad. I didn't word it very well the first time.

I just said that I didn't believe that he got smoked or burned. To me, a "smoking" or a "burning" is when the receiver has five or more yards on the corner. That wasn't the case. He had a yard to maybe a yard and a half at the very most on McCourty.

I know you guys have already beaten this to death and Im not trying to argue if McCourty was burned or not..

But seriously five or more yards equates to being burned for you? I mean this is the NFL if any corner is beat 1-on-1 by that much I think it goes into a whole different category, that is just embarrassing and barey ever happens in the NFL (or even a blown coverage). I think most would agree that if a WR is more that ONE step ahead of the defender that the defender has been beat.

That was the First time we saw McCourty get Beaten on a go route...take a picture.:camera: I better not see it again.:mad:;)

As it has been stated earlier McCourty bit on a double move so it was not a a go route by Jones. I think that is way more acceptable for an aggressive rookie corner, and I hope to never see McCourty straight up beat in a foot race.

I know you guys have already beaten this to death and Im not trying to argue if McCourty was burned or not..

But seriously five or more yards equates to being burned for you? I mean this is the NFL if any corner is beat 1-on-1 by that much I think it goes into a whole different category, that is just embarrassing and barey ever happens in the NFL (or even a blown coverage). I think most would agree that if a WR is more that ONE step ahead of the defender that the defender has been beat.

Being beaten for five or more yards equates to being burned for most people. And if you don't think that this is a frequent occurrence in the NFL, then you must not have been watching football for very long. No offense or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft