PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darius Butler - 2010 week 2 Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, lets introduce some facts into this discussion.
1) Braylon Edwards did not beat Butler all day long. He caught 3 passes with Butler in coverage. (4 with the 2pt conv)
One was a 2 yard pass in a zone between TBC and Butler. If we expect a corner in zone to stop a 2 yard pass we might as well start following cricket.
One was the TD
The other was 3rd down conv early in the game in zone coverage.
2) Cothcery caught 2 passes with Butler in coverage. One was a 2 yard pass in zone, like the one above. The other was a 1 yard completion in man coverage.
3) The long completion to Keller on play action on 3rd and short may or may not have been his man. Chung was totally suckered by the fake, and its hard to tell whether Butler or Chung had him. I would tend to think Butler had the responsibility because he chased Keller rather than the RB in the flat but without knowing the coverage called its impossible to say who blew the coverage.

In any event, aside from that play, he allowed 5 catches, and nothing beyond about 10 yards downfield.
Yes, one was a TD, and yes there were 2 p.i.s, one a terrible call and the other a bad play and also a bad call because it was uncatchable.
To say Butler was burned all day or was terrible is ridiculous. A corner allowing 5 catches none more than 10 yards downfield to a team throwing the ball 30 times isn't close to awful.

agree with 110% on this

Quit making excuses for Butler!!!The guy's in his second year and he is a soft corner.The play where he got beat was embarrasing!!!They just got picking him on it.I will judge him again when he faces these tough wrs.

Take the rose colored glasses off for a moment and own up. Butler got schooled this Sunday. Do I believe he can get better? Yes. Is he still a tremendous athelete? Yes. Does he still need to do a LOT of work before he can be considered a solid starter in the NFL. Hell yes.

It's not always the quantity of the passes given up but also where you give them up. Butler made mistakes that extended drives and got burned on receptions in the endzone. Crucial mistakes at the worst times. Same thing with the Pats defense last year. It didn't matter that they ended up 5th overall in points allowed when they were consistently giving up the points to lose games in the 2nd half that season.

It is clear that the Pats defense and in particular their secondary has their work cut out for them. They need to correct their mistakes and get better for next week. Giving these guys a free pass, turning a blind eye, or making excuses for them is not going to help them one bit. The first step to FIXING a Problem is Admitting that THERE IS a Problem.

The most sensible post Ive seen! What happened yesterday to Butler and the Pats D was clear to see...it is clearly a work in progress and was to be expected this season. Young players take time to develop and teams take time to gel.

Pretending anything else is just unrealistic...They should improve from this experience, but there will be more lessons learned this season against better passing offences than this. They will be repeating what the Jets did and our young D will learn and hopefully improve. This was never going to be an easy season for the D..

anybody else got a feeling were gonna hear patrick petersons name called next year with the raiders pick?

The raiders might need to sgo 3 or 4 and 12 for that to happen and Peterson might be a top 3 pick.Also it seems we never take corners that are 6 feet and up.

lol i figured with bb's love for cbs and peterson being there when we pick he might be too good to pass up. at 6'1 and as good as he could be and lining him up with mccourty who will be in his second year, and bodden coming back we would have one heck of a secondary.

Quit making excuses for Butler!!!The guy's in his second year and he is a soft corner.The play where he got beat was embarrasing!!!They just got picking him on it.I will judge him again when he faces these tough wrs.

Who cares when you will judge him?

Hey upstater, who are u, his agent?:DThe guy stinks!!!

After watching the last two weeks, I dunno how anyone could not conclude that Butler's been a problem. That's to be expected, though; Bodden's injury forced him into the role that he has now, and he has plenty of time to develop as a player going forward. The amount of criticism that's getting lumped on him is definitely over the top.

Last edited:
Posted: 12/30/2009 3:02 P.M. RE: Darius Butler

Originally Posted by robertweathers
Are you serious with this comparison?

Butler is a 2nd round pick with 1st round talent. He is a rookie who may be hitting the wall or BB feels that he needs experience like Springs right now. He has shown flashes of being a VERY good corner. He is the future. Butler already has surpassed EM in career INTs and passes defensed.
IMO you need to exercise a little patience and go back and review history a bit.

Reply from Groundgame:

Butler is so highly touted and athletic that each and every QB the Pats face, with Butler out on the right wing as their opponent, rub their eyes in disbelief for the good fortune of seeing #28 to pick on. If not for the novelty of mixing up the plays, why not throw his way on every play.

Butler has regressed....if the first two games of the season are any indictaion. He's playing the man instead of the ball. Seems out of place, tentative, out-muscled. Combine this with Merriweather's decision to "free-lance" in practice and games to the point where he lost his starting job - you have to wonder if Corwin Brown sucks? I mean, that is the only thing I can think of. The only commonality. Two promising players that are trending in the wrong direction? Why?

Last edited:
Little OT, but still related to the topic:

did anyone check/analyze how Arrington did when Butler was pulled?

Butler's issue is strictly with technique, he needs to turn to face the football. His lack of height doesn't allow him to face up taller WRs on ball arrival, he has to turn himself around. He had this issue all last season and he just hasn't been coached up to correct it yet.

He's a WIP and will continue to improve game by game. We'll just need to be patient with him.

Which is the same issue Wilhite has. And Ellis Hobbs had. Poor ball awareness.

This isn't a cornerback issue. Its a secondary coaching issue.

I know the play you're talking about. Does it occur to you that he was pushed? I mean, he was just thrown off to the side. Believe me, there is no way that Edwards could outjump Butler. Butler is able to execute windmill dunks on the basketball court, and I just looked at their combine numbers. Butler jumps a full 4 inches higher than Edwards..
Which would mean something if Edwards wasn't 5 inches taller than Darius Butler, and didn't have longer arms.

But he does.

Last edited:
Which would mean something if Edwards wasn't 5 inches taller than Darius Butler, and didn't have longer arms.

But he does.

No, he jumps 4 inches higher than Edwards.

Which is the same issue Wilhite has. And Ellis Hobbs had. Poor ball awareness.

This isn't a cornerback issue. Its a secondary coaching issue.

I think it's the opposite for Butler. he has good ball skills. His problem is losing his man. On the first PI, he made a great play on the ball, shouldn't have been PI. One the second PI, he totally misread his man's cuts. I think he's a good ball guy (former WR, good hands and athleticism) but he's a bad reader of body position. You could tell that he misread body lean, and he just ran right past his guy on the 2nd PI. Had he read it correctly, he could have adjusted in plenty of time to make a play on the ball (assuming, of course, th ball wasn't way overthrown a it was).

I'm not going to freak out about Butler just yet. Pass interference calls are bad, but they are to be expected and, that aside, he's been covering Ochocinco and Braylon Edwards in his first 2 weeks as a starting corner. The margin of error with those two go-to receivers is so small and he's been very close when completions are made. Nobody mistakes him for a lockdown corner right now and he might never become one, but he'll be much more difficult to throw against as this season progresses, assuming he doesn't get injured. We saw the same with Wheatley in his first season, so while Butler has not been brilliant so far, I'm not getting flashbacks of Deltha O'Neal out there.

Last edited:
I expect the secondary and this defense as a whole to get better by the week. Its a very young unit with not much NFL experience so you have to give them time. They will find their feet and hopefully sooner rather than later. They have the talent and the leaders to make that happen.

No, he jumps 4 inches higher than Edwards.

Again, have you seen the way they do the vert jump? They have you stand still with your arm in the air, set that to 0, and then have you jump and hit the highest point you can. It completely removes height and arm length as a factor.

on the football field, they are a factor. Butler may be able to jump 4 inches higher than Edwards, but Edward's hands are still 3 or 4 inches higher than Butler's when they're jumping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes