PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darius Butler - 2010 week 2 Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the whole discussion about Butlers height. Vontae Davis has been able to fight Randy Moss for jump balls although Moss is four or five inches taller then him. Yet height is an issue for Butler? Davis is competive because he can find the ball once its in the air. Butler can't. Hopefully he will be able to in a few weeks.

I don't get the whole discussion about Butlers height. Vontae Davis has been able to fight Randy Moss for jump balls although Moss is four or five inches taller then him. Yet height is an issue for Butler? Davis is competive because he can find the ball once its in the air. Butler can't. Hopefully he will be able to in a few weeks.

I don't think height is an issue. Just the poster's insistence that Butler can outjump Braylon Edwards is ridiculous, and counterfactual.

I don't think height is an issue. Just the poster's insistence that Butler can outjump Braylon Edwards is ridiculous, and counterfactual.

That was a pathetic play, ball should have been knocked away if not picked. He jump to the side and did a little sissy swat. He had it if he didn't jump away.

That was a pathetic play, ball should have been knocked away if not picked. He jump to the side and did a little sissy swat. He had it if he didn't jump away.

You sure he wasn't pushed?

Again, have you seen the way they do the vert jump? They have you stand still with your arm in the air, set that to 0, and then have you jump and hit the highest point you can. It completely removes height and arm length as a factor.

on the football field, they are a factor. Butler may be able to jump 4 inches higher than Edwards, but Edward's hands are still 3 or 4 inches higher than Butler's when they're jumping.

Let's try this again: Height doesn't matter when you JUMP higher than taller guys.

Higher as in--HIGHER.

Butler played bball with the UConn guys, and he could outjump all the NBA guys but Rudy Gay. Is he taller than Charlie Villanueva? No. Can he outjump Villanueva? Yes.

Check this out: 2007 NFL Combine Results and 40 Times

Look at the average verticals of receivers in 2007 (that's just the first one that popped up).

This guy leaps like an NBA bball player.

He has excellent ball skills.

What he doesn't have is coverage skills.

When he's close to his guy, he makes plays on the ball. Like he did even on the first PI. But he lets his guy get away from him unfortunately (like on the second PI).

Since you have the facts, show them.

WEEI just reported that it's been Arrington, not Butler, working with the first team this week.

...Interesting times

For what it's worth, ProFootballFocus's week 2 review of the Jets game listed Butler as giving up 5 catches for 74 yards plus the 2 penalties. They included the 39-yarder to Keller.

If you exclude that throw, which I felt was not necessarily just on Butler, it compares similarly to McCourty, who gave up 5 catches for 29 yards, the difference being the penalties. I was really upset with Butler after the game, but after some time and review, it wasn't as bad as it seemed during the game.

I'd also caution against snap judgments. It was only a few weeks ago that McCourty was being schooled by the Rams and everyone was freaking out about how awful he looked. Now he's our #1 corner and playing like it. I expect good and bad weeks from both of our corners for a while as they continue to mature.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Arrington a bit more today to spell Butler at times, but I hope Butler stays ahead of Arrington on the depth chart and is given the opportunity to redeem himself.

I think height does make a strong difference for a CB. Especially the jump ball or block. Having a CB with min. of 6' to defend a 6'+ WR is definately an edge.

Last 6' CB we had was TyLaw.

The Edwards jumped for the TD catch, even if Bulter turned around, I dont believe he could have tipped the ball, due to the height difference in the jump.

I always wonder why Patriots dont have a criteria of 6' min to draft a CB (except for Ty).

Butler will always have problems with WRs such as Edwards, Cinco, etc..

I think height does make a strong difference for a CB. Especially the jump ball or block. Having a CB with min. of 6' to defend a 6'+ WR is definately an edge.

Last 6' CB we had was TyLaw.

The Edwards jumped for the TD catch, even if Bulter turned around, I dont believe he could have tipped the ball, due to the height difference in the jump.

I always wonder why Patriots dont have a criteria of 6' min to draft a CB (except for Ty).

Butler will always have problems with WRs such as Edwards, Cinco, etc..

Bodden is 6-1, and Shawn Springs was 6-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back