PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Danny Amendola (hip) tore the adductor muscle; out 3-4 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to say it but they should just assume this will be a problem and plan around it. I mean 1/2 a game and he is hurt? I was a huge defender of his and thought the injury prone thing was overblown but this is not a great situation...and to be honest it isnt a great situation with him healthy because there are other question marks, i.e. Suds, Gronk, and the rooks performing like bonafide NFL WRs.

I guess there are two options.

1. Do something. I am not even sure what "something" is. Even if you could get some talent here they are not going to be on the same page as TB.

2. Prey that Suds becomes Gronklike, Gronk becomes his old self, and KT, AD, and JB get on TBs page ASAP. Edelman is Edelman but I cant imagine they will go far with him as a number one WR and at the pace he is going I see an injury coming. Lot of iffs above. Lot of iffs.

No Vareen for a while really hurts too. IMO, I think this team is in a bit of trouble no matter how you want to spin it. They dont have the horses and barely squeaking by two crappy teams sort of exposed it a bit.

And lets face it, Allen is probably not quite punting as well as Mesko was this time last year. Also, Ghost while I think solid, dosent appear right now to be playing his best football. Bount isnt what I thought he would be and neither is Washington.

What really stinks is that when TB has great receivers making great plays, he feeds off of it and it elevates his play. When he gets frustrated with the rookie WRs I see it has him getting aggravated, tensing up and not playing his best football. Players elevate their play around their teammates. Dont see a lot of that happening.

He was hurt before the first game.

I agree. The point I'm making is that nothing has really changed except for a report from Glazer of what his injury is and that he might require surgery for it.

The fact that he's practicing at all may indicate there isn't a sports hernia, which would be great news, everything considered.

He certainly appeared hobbled while working through agility drills at the start of today's session. Though he did some light pass catching, Amendola barely picked up his feet.

Amendola hobbled but practicing with Patriots | Comcast SportsNet - CSNNE.com

I would question why he is out there obviously injured. After injuring his groin on Aug 16th he re-injured it against the Bills. So sitting out for a few weeks was insufficient. If the injury can be resolved with rest, it would seem to need more than a few weeks. I also do not rule-out the possibility that he would benefit from surgery. To me, it looks like they may be trying to push through it. I hope they are not creating a situation where he is unhealthy all year.

Amendola hobbled but practicing with Patriots | Comcast SportsNet - CSNNE.com

I would question why he is out there obviously injured. After injuring his groin on Aug 16th he re-injured it against the Bills. So sitting out for a few weeks was insufficient. If the injury can be resolved with rest, it would seem to need more than a few weeks. I also do not rule-out the possibility that he would benefit from surgery. To me, it looks like they may be trying to push through it. I hope they are not creating a situation where he is unhealthy all year.
I think we'd all like to see him back ASAP. The only facts we have are that he has a groin injury and has practiced on a limited basis since and missed one game. The Patriots medical and coaching staff obviously have more information and, I'm sure, are dealing with the injury as best they can.

We heard last week that a small fracture in Vereen's wrist would take 3-4 weeks, and now he's not coming back for 10-11 weeks. Who the hell knows?

My theory is that it's not that Vereen really needs to be out until week 10, but that they felt they were squeezed enough that they couldn't afford to have two "dead" roster spots (Gronk and Vereen) and so put Vereen on short-term IR to gain a roster spot at the expense of losing Vereen for some extra weeks (so maybe the injury turned out to need 6-8 weeks to heal and so they were willing to lose him for an extra 2-4 weeks to gain a roster spot).

I think we'd all like to see him back ASAP. The only facts we have are that he has a groin injury and has practiced on a limited basis since and missed one game. The Patriots medical and coaching staff obviously have more information and, I'm sure, are dealing with the injury as best they can.

AS I explained, he has missed 3 games. He missed 2 pre-season games after the injury, came back and re-injured it, then missed another game. Don't count me among those who want to see him back ASAP if he is at increased risk of injury. The team already made that mistake and it cost him one game and counting. Sitting 2 games was not enough. Are they planning to bring him back now after sitting only one game? If not, then why is he practicing?

Just more great news... at least he is not out for the remainder of the seission. Just hopefully he does not turn into Gronk big injury after big injury.

Again, the Bill Belichick Patriots have consistently rebuilt with players in their early to mid 30s. Feel free to look it up if your fandom only started a year or two ago. Let me help a bit by giving you a couple of the earlier examples:

Otis Smith was 35
Roman Phifer was 33
Don't forget the 2003 calendar year acquisitions:

Ted Washington, 35
Tyrone Poole, 31
Rodney Harrison, 30

My theory is that it's not that Vereen really needs to be out until week 10, but that they felt they were squeezed enough that they couldn't afford to have two "dead" roster spots (Gronk and Vereen) and so put Vereen on short-term IR to gain a roster spot at the expense of losing Vereen for some extra weeks (so maybe the injury turned out to need 6-8 weeks to heal and so they were willing to lose him for an extra 2-4 weeks to gain a roster spot).

Oh, I'm sure that you're right.

I couldn't imagine anything else that it'd be.

If it indeed will take 6-8 weeks to heal, then it'd make more sense. If it only took 3-4 as reported, then it's a bit of a head scratcher in my opinion.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't think he would be out there practicing even on a limited basis if he was going to be having surgery. Also in terms of how he looked out there, no logic or advantage of having him go full speed in practice if healthy. Could just be putting on a show making look hobbled. I know he's doubtful and highly unlikely to play against Tampa, but it's possible he could be back sooner rather than later.

AS I explained, he has missed 3 games. He missed 2 pre-season games after the injury, came back and re-injured it, then missed another game. Don't count me among those who want to see him back ASAP if he is at increased risk of injury. The team already made that mistake and it cost him one game and counting. Sitting 2 games was not enough. Are they planning to bring him back now after sitting only one game? If not, then why is he practicing?
When I say ASAP, I of course mean as soon as he's at full health. And you can't tell much about him missing pre season games. He practiced those weeks too and was a full participant in the Friday practice before the BUF game. He obviously looked great before getting injured again.

Would be be practicing even if he needed surgery?

Would be be practicing even if he needed surgery?

It is certainly possible to practice and play with a sports hernia (if that is what he has). He may have done it last week. But this injury is prone to aggravation. Depending on severity, it is an injury that a team could try to nurse him through, and that is what they seem to be doing. But they played him in Buffalo before he was fully healed and got him re-injured.

When I say ASAP, I of course mean as soon as he's at full health. And you can't tell much about him missing pre season games. He practiced those weeks too and was a full participant in the Friday practice before the BUF game. He obviously looked great before getting injured again.

Hell, he looked great after getting injured......

What exactly was the point of rolling out a gingerly moving Danny Amendola to the practice field today?? :rolleyes:

What exactly was the point of rolling out a gingerly moving Danny Amendola to the practice field today?? :rolleyes:

If you look online strengthing exercises are permitted and encouraged early in the rehab process of a strained groin. He was doing stretching and light drills today. Based what I read online, it can help to speed up the rehab process.

It kinda confirms he doesn't have a hernia (or at least they don't believe he has one).

I would say its good news that hes out there practicing even in a limited fashion...one would think if his injury was serious they wouldnt even have him out there

looks doubtful he would be out there against the Bucs(although theres still 6 days to decide that) but he could be back for the falcons as he would have 4 weeks off

sorta cuts the nuts off the Weklah posse of pinhead whiners...the same ones who openly prayed that his adductor was torn away from the bone and gleefully posted every friggin' bo humperdinck country cornpone sleazy sports columnist column they could find from the Des Moines Register.

I think the Patriot coaching and training staff forgot to call you and ask you based upon what you have read, how should they handle what you think the injury might be. Perhaps they will wise up tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents