PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Danny Amendola (hip) tore the adductor muscle; out 3-4 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have to laugh about listening to Felger and Mazz. They said that since the time of recovery for surgery or no surgery is not that different, they said that Amendola should ignore the two experts who say he doesn't have a sports hernia and get the surgery anyway because on expert said he did.

What kind of advice is that? So let's say the doctor who said he has a sports hernia is wrong? They think he should get unnecessary surgery just because the recovery time isn't much longer than no surgery.

I have no problem with Amendola getting more opinions and opinions who have no horses in the race of whether to have surgery or not. If there is no way to know if he has a sports hernia without surgery, it is one thing (which may end up being the case). But for Amendola to get surgery just because the recovery time is only a week or two longer is just stupid.

Remind me not to make Felger and Mazz my health care proxy.

the patriots have the 11th youngest team in the nfl.

Adding a short term player here and there in their 30's as a stopgap =! rebuilding.

While your opinion is noted, one could certainly argue that they may have chosen to blend TWO new rookie WR's into the offense, as opposed to THREE.

It's great to rebuild at certain points, and I agree that the rookie WR's need to see more reps in order to move forward, but the thinking is that a veteran player may have helped them not only do that, but also offer Brady someone else besides Edelman to go to during this learning phase.

Not many teams tear things down completely and decide to start from scratch, and their pursuit of Emmnauel Sanders kind of hints that they were interested in having another vet, even if he was a younger vet.

My only gripe is that they may have been able to pursue someone at the end of June, when they immediately knew of Hernandez's failure. That would have given the WR enough time to develop during the summer and TC. Of course Belichick knows much better than me, but I'm just stating my only real questioning.

Neither have Mayo, Gronkowski, Mankins, or Ninkovich. They're all garbage and need to be replaced STAT.

Vince has only "brought" us one title (mainly from his seat on the bench). And he's been totally slacking since 2005.

For the love of God please just stop.

Mayo Nink And gronk are all playing at sub average rates for their position, Mankins is costs less to be on the team right now then to cut him and pay his replacement.

Welker wanted a lot more then what he was worth, and he didn't get it, and then chose to walk away.

Stop twisting facts and being facetious and just tossing out names willy nilly with nothing to back it up.

While your opinion is noted, one could certainly argue that they may have chosen to blend TWO new rookie WR's into the offense, as opposed to THREE.

They did plan on blending 2 rookies with 2 vets, one of the vets is injured, and when he wasn't injured he had 100+ yards.

the patriots are running a skeleton crew right now, everyone needs to relax Its all going to be fine.

The Pats defense allowed 12.5 points a game.

I said in another thread that the Pats did exactly what they were supposed to do on defense against rookie quarterbacks. I wouldn't have expected anything else.

Unless you had a top tier QB, I don't think you can say definitely that they would be 0-2 against a better QB.

You think the only teams that could have beat the Pats in the last two weeks are the Broncos and Packers? Because, to me, those are the only two teams with top tier QB's outside of the Pats with Brady.

Take away the two fumbles (caused by the Pats and not the Bills) in week 1 and the Pats played well enough to beat most teams in the league. I would say other than maybe 5 to 8 teams in the league, the Pats played well enough to beat any team in the league week one. Not that they would have, but they were good enough to win.

The Bills were without Byrd and Gilmore and the Pats still struggled to move the ball at times against the Bills, turnovers aside.

Look at what the Bills did on offense yesterday on the road. They had 24 points and 436 yards while converting 42.8% of their first downs. The Bills offense isn't crap. I know the Panthers aren't great, but they did hold the Seahawks to 12 points.

You're going by the box score. The Seahawks had a ton of blown opportunities against the Panthers in Week 1 as well. The Bills offense isn't good at all, and neither is Carolina's defense outside of Kuechly. Even with that being said, the Bills still needed a badly timed penalty by the afforementioned player just to get in position to win that game. If not for that, they were looking at 0-2.

The Bills and Jets are just bad teams. Like I said, even before the game, you were bashing the Jets secondary left and right. Now that the game is over and the Pats were only able to put up 13 points because of drops and general ineptitude by the rookies, you're suddenly much higher on them. That alone should be telling for you. You're stretching to make it look like the Pats have played much better than they have the last two weeks when the reality is that they haven't looked good at all. Of course, Gronk coming back will help in all phases of the offense (both run blocking and threatening the seam), but the issues with the rookies need to clear up throughout the season in order for the Pats to make any significant improvements on the offensive side of the ball. I'm happy with being 2-0 right now. But I also realize that if the Pats didn't play inept opponents with rookie quarterbacks, one playing his first professional game ever and the other playing his first professional game on prime time television with a national audience, they could very easily be 0-2 right now.

That said, this game should be another grind it out win so long as the Pats shut down Martin because I don't think Josh Freeman is good enough to beat them either. The real test will come vs. Atlanta and if the Pats play the way they have the last two weeks down there, it's going to be a total annihilation.

FWIW, Amendola practiced today, but looked to be significantly less than 100%. The most common description of his status was that he moved "gingerly".

I am guessing the decision not to have surgery has been made. I think if he was going the course that he has a sports hernia and needed surgery that he would be practicing today.

They did plan on blending 2 rookies with 2 vets, one of the vets is injured, and when he wasn't injured he had 100+ yards.

the patriots are running a skeleton crew right now, everyone needs to relax Its all going to be fine.

I assume that you're speaking of Amendola, but since Edelman is also a vet I am basically viewing that as a bit of a wash (not that I agree that they both have the same talent level, just that it's one vet for another). To me, that doesn't change anything.

The "vet" that we'd have liked to see wouldn't have been in the slot, he'd have been on the outside. They may have been able to bring the rookies around while also not sacrificing as much throughout the growing phase.

At any rate, I'm hardly meaning to question you, I'm just pointing out the other side of the argument.

FWIW, Amendola practiced today, but looked to be significantly less than 100%. The most common description of his status was that he moved "gingerly".

I am guessing the decision not to have surgery has been made. I think if he was going the course that he has a sports hernia and needed surgery that he would be practicing today.

Why dont you just post what Yates said?

Sigmund Bloom ‏@SigmundBloom 20m UGH. they're gonna lose him for year at this rate RT @FieldYates Danny Amendola working gingerly thru drills. Apparent groin limiting him

Interesting note from Yates about this (sort of), but I'm looking at the Gronk part. When asked about Gronk, he had this to say:

@evansilva We only saw individual drills, but seems to be steadily improving (he took part in them). Seems closer to a return than Amendola.

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/379687438765289472

Also, just as a bit of an FYI to everyone, here's SMY's take on Amendola today:

on Amendola: he was out there, but for drills we saw, he wasn't moving well at all

https://twitter.com/shalisemyoung/status/379685302010675200

While it doesn't sound particularly promising right now, it's a long week until the next game, so maybe the team will get lucky and Amendola will be ready.

Mayo Nink And gronk are all playing at sub average rates for their position, Mankins is costs less to be on the team right now then to cut him and pay his replacement.

Welker wanted a lot more then what he was worth, and he didn't get it, and then chose to walk away.

Stop twisting facts and being facetious and just tossing out names willy nilly with nothing to back it up.

As stupid posts go this is a champion.

I said in another thread that the Pats did exactly what they were supposed to do on defense against rookie quarterbacks. I wouldn't have expected anything else.

You think the only teams that could have beat the Pats in the last two weeks are the Broncos and Packers? Because, to me, those are the only two teams with top tier QB's outside of the Pats with Brady.

The Bills were without Byrd and Gilmore and the Pats still struggled to move the ball at times against the Bills, turnovers aside.

You're going by the box score. The Seahawks had a ton of blown opportunities against the Panthers in Week 1 as well. The Bills offense isn't good at all, and neither is Carolina's defense outside of Kuechly. Even with that being said, the Bills still needed a badly timed penalty by the afforementioned player just to get in position to win that game. If not for that, they were looking at 0-2.

The Bills and Jets are just bad teams. Like I said, even before the game, you were bashing the Jets secondary left and right. Now that the game is over and the Pats were only able to put up 13 points because of drops and general ineptitude by the rookies, you're suddenly much higher on them. That alone should be telling for you. You're stretching to make it look like the Pats have played much better than they have the last two weeks when the reality is that they haven't looked good at all. Of course, Gronk coming back will help in all phases of the offense (both run blocking and threatening the seam), but the issues with the rookies need to clear up throughout the season in order for the Pats to make any significant improvements on the offensive side of the ball. I'm happy with being 2-0 right now. But I also realize that if the Pats didn't play inept opponents with rookie quarterbacks, one playing his first professional game ever and the other playing his first professional game on prime time television with a national audience, they could very easily be 0-2 right now.

That said, this game should be another grind it out win so long as the Pats shut down Martin because I don't think Josh Freeman is good enough to beat them either. The real test will come vs. Atlanta and if the Pats play the way they have the last two weeks down there, it's going to be a total annihilation.

First, I said that there were 5-8 teams that the Pats wouldn't beat the way they played in the opening game. I probably would include the Broncos and Packers in those teams considering both teams have elite QBs. Those are only two teams. So I think that 3-6 teams would most likely win the way the Pats played the first week.

Second, to that point, I didn't say that the Pats couldn't have lost to any team the way they played. There are no guarantees in anything. I just were talking about teams that the Pats probably would have little to no chance to beat the way they played.

Third, have looked at the league thus far? There isn't anyone other than the Broncos who have been playing great football in the AFC. Houston is lucky not to be 0-2 right now. Baltimore's offense is worse than the Pats'. Cincy didn't impress in week one and we will see in week 2. If you watch the games around the league, most teams are very beatable.

Fourth, you talk about the shooting themselves in the foot by the Seahawks, yet you dismiss the times the Pats shot themselves in the foot in both games. Stupid mistake is the only reason the Pats didn't have a double digit win vs. the Bills.

Fifth, the Bills have a middle of the pack offense. They don't suck. They aren't great. They have an elite RB (that the Pats shut down) and a decent passing game.

Why dont you just post what Yates said?

Because several reporters stated the same thing. Yates is just one of them. IMHO, it is better to say that multiple reporters used the same phrase than just one. I know Jeff Howe used the gingerly phrase. So did Reiss.

Third, have looked at the league thus far? There isn't anyone other than the Broncos who have been playing great football in the AFC. Houston is lucky not to be 0-2 right now. Baltimore's offense is worse than the Pats'. Cincy didn't impress in week one and we will see in week 2. If you watch the games around the league, most teams are very beatable.

This is what I liked about the AFC coming into the season: parity. That still doesn't mean that the Pats don't have, as Brady said, a looooong way to go in the passing game.

Fourth, you talk about the shooting themselves in the foot by the Seahawks, yet you dismiss the times the Pats shot themselves in the foot in both games. Stupid mistake is the only reason the Pats didn't have a double digit win vs. the Bills.

Where did I dismiss the Pats shooting themselves in the foot? What I actually said is that they still had trouble moving the ball on the Bills at times throughout that game, turnovers aside. That's anything other than dismissing them. That's acknowledging them while also acknowledging that the Pats were having their struggles on offense and moving the ball on drives aside from the ones that ended in turnovers.

Fifth, the Bills have a middle of the pack offense. They don't suck. They aren't great. They have an elite RB (that the Pats shut down) and a decent passing game.

That's arguable at best. They looked horrible against the Pats and mediocre to bad against the Panthers. The scoring really ramped up in the second half yesterday but, prior to that, they were pretty lousy.

Amendola practiced TODAY?? I thought he was going to undergo surgery today...what the hell is going on here?

Isn't it quite possible that he's purposely walking/jogging "gingerly?"

One would think that he's been instructed to take it easy while basically completing what amounts to a slow jog through practice.

Hell, we're lucky (and I'm surprised) that he's even practicing at all.

Amendola practiced TODAY?? I thought he was going to undergo surgery today...what the hell is going on here?

No one knows a GD thing. What else is new? :)

He/Gronk could be back Sunday, one could be back next Sunday night, maybe they come back in 3-4 weeks, maybe one comes back at the bye---maybe one is put on IR.

We heard last week that a small fracture in Vereen's wrist would take 3-4 weeks, and now he's not coming back for 10-11 weeks. Who the hell knows?

Amendola practiced last week, too, albeit on a limited basis. The only thing to really take from the "reports" today is that they probably decided to not have him undergo surgery.

Amendola practiced last week, too, albeit on a limited basis. The only thing to really take from the "reports" today is that they probably decided to not have him undergo surgery.

I would take it as great news that he probably doesn't require surgery. As Rob said, I don't think he would be practicing in any amount if he were to undergo surgery. Hopefully he's back much sooner rather than later because we're going to need him, whether the rookies find their hands or not.

I would take it as great news that he probably doesn't require surgery. As Rob said, I don't think he would be practicing in any amount if he were to undergo surgery. Hopefully he's back much sooner rather than later because we're going to need him, whether the rookies find their hands or not.
I agree. The point I'm making is that nothing has really changed except for a report from Glazer of what his injury is and that he might require surgery for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST