PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Daniel Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-cleater

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I am real curious as to what the FO's long term plans are for DG. Do we see BB using 3rd and 4th round picks on TE's as writing on the wall for Graham? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think Mills was practicing TE during rookie minicamp. That makes four TE's on the roster assuming he and Thomas make the 53.

I have never understood BB's fascination with TE's .I understand the strategy of drafting an average of one a year ( at least!)but only to an extent. If it has anything to do with value in TE picks because other teams do not prioritize.... fine. But I honestly thought that Watson was *arguably* a bit of a reach, although he does have huge potential. And while I love Thomas and Mills as players, well..... let's not turn this into a draft discussion.

I really just want to know what is up with Grahambo. His game against Atlanta last year was just awesome , and showed the potential HE has. He seems to be a much more reliable pass catcher since his first two seasons. We all know he is one of he best blockers on the team, and has gotten more than one Tackle through a big game, and he has taken on some of the games best DE's himself. (remember the SB against Peppers?) .

I believe that he actually had a lot to do with us getting by as good as we did with guys like Ashworth and Gorin. With the talent that is being accumulated and kept on the O line ( fingers crossed on Koppen!) now, I worry that with two rookies drafted he leaves as a free agent after the season.

Thanks for your thoughts and pardon me if this has been discussed recently (I'm betting it has in some form or another).

The Patriots need to solidify the tackle positions for Graham to develop into the kind of TE that many of us believe he can be. If the Patriots can actually get through a season without one or both tackles getting injured (which hasn't happened since BB became coach), the Graham might actually be able to spend more time running routes and less time staying in to help with the O-line blocking assignments. Graham, though built very well, isn't a 300 lb lineman who can constantly go up against 280-300 lb D-lineman and its led to his being injured each year, imho. If the Pats can solidify the tackle positions, then Graham should be able to stay healthy and play an entire season.

I agree, DB. You can't blame the guy for being injured when you consider what is asked of him. While I am kinda stoked to have a healthy Light at LT, and Kaczur, who I think is going to be awesome, at RT, I would like to see DG get more of a pass catching opportunity, and get a long term contract. He deserves it.

You know Tom Brady wants him around. Who else is he going to bang helmets with before kickoff if DG is gone?

D-cleater said:
I
I have never understood BB's fascination with TE's .I understand the strategy of drafting an average of one a year ( at least!)but only to an extent. If it has anything to do with value in TE picks because other teams do not prioritize.... fine. But I honestly thought that Watson was *arguably* a bit of a reach, although he does have huge potential. And while I love Thomas and Mills as players, well..... let's not turn this into a draft discussion.

I think the fascination with tight ends has to do with the recognition that their versatility has to do with the vulnerability of the O line in today's game, not only do you want to use a draft pick on a pass catching threat as well as someone who can block. Watson is an interesting example, still believe he will be used differently last year because of his speed, he presents interesting defensive adjustments for the other team if he were to be in a two TE set. I still think that if the O Line remains healthy will have a breakout year, and he may change the way TE's are viewed. He needs to be covered a speedy corner, who can tackle like a LB or SS, Thomas seems to be more of a classic TE, while Mills seems to be more versatile. BB seems to like players who fill several roles, and the TE's he has chosen all seem to fit this bill. It wouldn't be a BB draft without picking a TE.

Why not draft TE's? We will keep three on the team as always. Right now, we have four, with the fourth a TE/H back/possible fullback. So, I see the drafting of TE's as filling a real need actually.

I think we make Graham an offer that will hopefully keep him right here. Does not have to be a break the bank offer by any means, just a good solid offer comensurate with his value to this team.

My two cents re BB and tight ends...

It might have to do his knowledge of defences,ie, tight ends can be hard to cover/account for ,he likes thier versatility.Look what Gates did to us last year(D.Starks was a factor,yes,but he wasnt the only gap).

D-cleater said:
I agree, DB. You can't blame the guy for being injured when you consider what is asked of him. While I am kinda stoked to have a healthy Light at LT, and Kaczur, who I think is going to be awesome, at RT, I would like to see DG get more of a pass catching opportunity, and get a long term contract. He deserves it.

You know Tom Brady wants him around. Who else is he going to bang helmets with before kickoff if DG is gone?

Agree, although because DG is the best blocking TE in the NFL, I would still expect the team to take advantage of that. I'd sign him up, big time.

I like Graham...and the whole reason he is not used more as a receiver is the whole tackled situation. Once we get better protection, he can run routes and be very useful there. He is great blocking wise. INjuries?? As noted when asked to do that, they do occur more frequently. I agree..sign him up!!

I think it's really up to Graham. He's a smart guy, humble, and well grounded. His father has told him before to think of things besides money. If the Pats don't extend him, somebody's going to throw big money at him after the season. The Patriots will make a competitive one I'm sure, just because Graham's blocking ability can't be replaced on this roster. But it won't be as high as other teams, such as the Jets or maybe Chiefs will throw at him. Does he want to chase the money, or does he want to build his legacy here?

The best option, if BB truly wants him here next year, is to extend him this summer at a fair, but not exhorbitant, number.

With Watson and the others, the Pats are preparing for a contract situation.

Depends what Grahams price is.

dryheat44 said:
The best option, if BB truly wants him here next year, is to extend him this summer at a fair, but not exhorbitant, number.

I'd like to hear some considered estimates of Grambo's market value.

flutie2phelan said:

Although his receiving totals have been limited by his blocking duties, when he had the opportunities he ranged from inconsistent to bad.

I'm not saying that's the whole story, but you have to face facts.

This might limit his value to others, though.

flutie2phelan said:

Follow the link in Post #9 above for a couple of our estimates.

Graham is hands down the best TE we have on the roster, and compensates for rookie/weak OT play. If BB can re-sign him, he will.

RayClay said:
Although his receiving totals have been limited by his blocking duties, when he had the opportunities he ranged from inconsistent to bad.

I'm not saying that's the whole story, but you have to face facts.

This might limit his value to others, though.

Really? Inconsistent to bad? Hmm.. I guess putting up better numbers than Pro-Bowler Bubba Franks like Graham did 2 years ago, means nothing.

Yes, as a ROOKIE, Graham had a lot of issues. And even as a sophomore he had issues, but then, he was also learning how to be the monster blocker that he's become.

However, you have to be utterly ignorant to think that Graham hasn't improved each year, other than the injuries. And the injuries can be directly attributed to his having to stay in and block because Gorin and Ashworth weren't able to handle the duties they were assigned. Gorin STILL can't handle them.

But, I remember Graham running over guys last year.

BB usually likes TE cause they can protect the QB on blitz, help on the run, they are good at your goaline and at your opponents goaline.

They have big roles in both offense and defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News