PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dan koppen extended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Graham had 4 catches in the Bengal's game, although the Pat's likely want to see more down-field ability before making a high offer.

Last edited:
There is no shadow of a doubt that Grambo and Sante will be offered extensions.

The question is more along the lines of: Will they accept the extension, or negotiate within the range provided, or will they decide to listen to Felger and go elsewhere.

There are a lot of us calling to re-sign these guys. Hopefully they WANT to re-sign with the Pats, like Koppen.

Otherwise they are gone.

Kdo5 said:
Asante for 4.5? :confused:

At least. What, you think less? Players at his position get paid a premium. Before the new CBA, guys like him--average CBs--made $3-4m with the top ones making 7 or 8.

Let me ask you this: Nate Clements is going to get $7-8. don't you think Samuel is going to get $4.5 at least?

Great move by the Pats to lock up the OL. You just can't underestimate the value of continuity on the OL. Now the Pats will have their OL starters together for the next 4-5 years. I think Brady will appreciate this move by the FO as kind of a message that they ARE looking out for him after all.

In football you win the war in the trenches and now the Pats have their line talent locked up on both sides of the ball.

edgecy said:
With the exception of Ashworth, all of our metaphors have been locked up :D THEY GO WHEREVER BRADY GOES!
Except to NYC for the bye week, I hope.

By the way, that's a great contract for a 5th round pick. I'd guess there are VERY few 5th round or later picks who do that well on their second contracts. Indeed, the only ones jumping to my mind right now are Givens and Brady. :)

How come no one's linked this signing and the Branch no-deal?

At least for my part, I'm very sure that Belichick has a quota for how many veterans he's perpared to carry on his offense. To be a healthy team in the long run, you have to be constantly growing new talent, and that means being active in the draft, and loading the roster with youth.

I think NOT signing Branch and NOT signing Law made this mid-season extension possible.

If Branch had reported to camp or signed his offer, I'd think Koppen would have been invited to test FA this coming offseason, and offered a "fair contract"... kind of like Givens. Then the draft would have taken another OC, and Hochstein would have started in 2008. Instead, we have our OL locked down and will be developing talent at WR.

As a GM, I dont think "having it all" is really an option in the NFL. BB's going to carry a certain core set of veterans, and fill the rest of his roster in the draft.

SVN said:
funny...koppen is on now on the radio show and felger is asking him why he took the money now when he couldve got more money in the free agency like branch etc etc
he obviously said its a diff situation for diff people and he feels comfortable here..
felger is dumbfounded now that his basis that all Free agents will leave NE after the branch fiasco doesnt hold true.

I was really surprised and bummed when Joe Andruzzi left with an FA deal. I'd so glad Dan is staying. He's a good guy and that's a key position to lock up for TB.

Cleveland overpaid for Andruzzi. In regard to Koppen, good starting centers are hard to find

This makes me very happy. Also proves to jacka$$ Felgie that not everyone WANTS to leave NE!!

Mosi Moose said:
This makes me very happy. Also proves to jacka$$ Felgie that not everyone WANTS to leave NE!!

There really only seem to be two types of Pats players when the big payday looms.

Those that want to feed their families, i.e. Branch, Law, Woody

Those that see a bigger picture, i.e. Seymour, Bruschi, Koppen, Brady

Neither side is right or wrong, it's just a personal choice that each player needs to make.

The thing is, when we and the media and everyone else is saying ' Pats have got to re-sign so and so ', we forget that it is up to each player if they are going to be back or not.

And often lately that seems to make the Pats Front Office look bad, somehow. :confused:

MrBigglesWorth said:
I'm kind of shocked they did 5 years. I figured it would be 3-4, but good that they got him before he hit free agency. Definite PR boost for the Pats in light of the free agency issues.

Unlike many positions, offensive lineman have a pretty long shelf life, and dont really drop off until 33-34 or so. Koppen will be 32 in the final year, which is just fine.

This is where I said the money is going to go all along. Excellent signing, I'm extremely pleased to get Koppen locked up long term.

Excellent news. Sounds like business as usual for the FO....determine a player's value, get deal done based on said value.

VJCPatriot said:
Now the Pats will have their OL starters together for the next 4-5 years. I think Brady will appreciate this move by the FO as kind of a message that they ARE looking out for him after all.

Great point, VJC. I don't think it's WHY they did it, but the fact that there are SOME key guys the Pats are keeping #12 surrounded with will not be lost on him.

I could not be happier about this

Boston Herald has something cool in the John Tomase blog.

He quotes Koppen from the Feltcher interview on ESPN radio.

Feltcher asked him what he thought of the whole db situation.

Koppen says he's not the guy to talk about that situation, but that he (Koppen) has never played for the money. He plays because he loves it and its his job.

THAT is a Patriots player!!!! :rocker:

Here's the link!!

http://news.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
There really only seem to be two types of Pats players when the big payday looms.

Those that want to feed their families, i.e. Branch, Law, Woody

Those that see a bigger picture, i.e. Seymour, Bruschi, Koppen, Brady

Neither side is right or wrong, it's just a personal choice that each player needs to make.

The thing is, when we and the media and everyone else is saying ' Pats have got to re-sign so and so ', we forget that it is up to each player if they are going to be back or not.
In many ways you have summed it up...I also think on the other side are those that like the situation here, the teammates, the area etc. larger picture?? MORE than just the green...and I agree, it IS the player's choice..and the media FAILS to understand that.. They always seem to blame the Patriots FO because the PLAYER decides they wish to leave..it always is NOT about money..I do NOT think AV wished to keep kicking in Gillette when a dome would be easier as he was older..and I would put Branch in another category..as he never got to be a FA..even Ty Law has more backbone than that worm.BUT there are many factors involved..SOME
just want the green and it ends there..but others see more..so maybe your LARGER pucture is a bit more correct...

DCPatsFan said:
Cleveland overpaid for Andruzzi. In regard to Koppen, good starting centers are hard to find

Andruzzi was an undrafted Free Agent, so no one can really blame him for taking the money. Cleveland (i.e. Romeo) really overpaid for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes