PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dan koppen extended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome news. I'll be looking for the cap numbers once they're released (curiosity), but regardless I'm thrilled to have Koppen in the fold. He was a fifth rounder, so he probably just made more money in one day than he did in the entire beginning of his career.

Reiss says it is a 5 year deal:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/10/koppen_followup.html
--"One follow-up to the Dan Koppen contract extension: the deal goes through the 2011 season.
That is a key point, as the pact is a true five-year extension, meaning it is an add-on to his original deal.
This was one the sticking points in the Deion Branch negotiations. The Patriots were offering extensions that were add-ons to Branch's original deal, and Branch's camp wanted the final year of his contract ripped up.
Koppen likely receives some of his bonus money this year, which was part of the incentive to sign the deal now."--

Last edited:
Good move, shores up the fulcrum of the line.

We know Beoli favors the the big boys and now we have both O and D lines signed for the next few years. Now that is a foundation.

The plan evolves.

As for Samuel and Graham. My favorite play is the Wham where Graham comes back and traps the incoming d lineman but it remains that he is nicked up a lot, similar to Branch and Givens. I don't think they will overpay for him and the ground work for replacing him occured in this years draft with Thomas and Mills. He was also outspoken about the Branch deal and said the Pats will get one chance to make an offer and if he does like it he is out of here. I think he will definitely be gone next year. Samuel is more durable, not very big but a reasonably sure tackler, reasonbly good cover guy, both traits sought by Beoli. That said, I think Samuel sees the market for a cover corner being greater than what the Pats will likely offer and has a 50/50 or greater chance of ending up elsewhere. Start watching the corners for next years draft. We still will have Hobbs, Wilson and Scott so we won't be bereft of options.

Just something interesting to look out for. Gives the "hand wringing whiners" something to hang onto.

By the way, I am a big Thomas fan and I think as he gets more chances he will surpass Ben Watson as a pass catching option, he needs to work on his blocking but its been better than I expected.

Repeat after me 10 times "It is what it is" Now I feel a lot better.

In today's news Graham is refusing to talk extension until after the season. So the "one chance" story may even be true. At least, it's probably true that he said it, whatever his actual negotiating strategy winds up being in February.

I agree. I believe graham will be gone next year for sure.

Probably to the jetsuck

One of the papers had a list of the players the Pats have re-signed early. It consisted entirely of young linemen and mature linebackers. That said, I think it forgot an aged RB or two ...

p8ryts said:
Good move, shores up the fulcrum of the line.

We know Beoli favors the the big boys and now we have both O and D lines signed for the next few years. Now that is a foundation.

The plan evolves.

As for Samuel and Graham. My favorite play is the Wham where Graham comes back and traps the incoming d lineman but it remains that he is nicked up a lot, similar to Branch and Givens. I don't think they will overpay for him and the ground work for replacing him occured in this years draft with Thomas and Mills. He was also outspoken about the Branch deal and said the Pats will get one chance to make an offer and if he does like it he is out of here. I think he will definitely be gone next year. Samuel is more durable, not very big but a reasonably sure tackler, reasonbly good cover guy, both traits sought by Beoli. That said, I think Samuel sees the market for a cover corner being greater than what the Pats will likely offer and has a 50/50 or greater chance of ending up elsewhere. Start watching the corners for next years draft. We still will have Hobbs, Wilson and Scott so we won't be bereft of options.

Just something interesting to look out for. Gives the "hand wringing whiners" something to hang onto.

By the way, I am a big Thomas fan and I think as he gets more chances he will surpass Ben Watson as a pass catching option, he needs to work on his blocking but its been better than I expected.

Repeat after me 10 times "It is what it is" Now I feel a lot better.

I do feel better now. Koppen is a player on the rise, #12 trusts him and although it is not part of a formal evaluation he and Brady are tight. Brady would survive without him but keeping some of his friends around can only help. Ok, enough pop analysis, onto Graham and Samuels.

Graham - Like him, tough player, ok skills but not indispensable. His presence is missed when he is not in the line up (which seems to occur too much), he is a physical force as a blocker and can hold up 1:1 with most DEs. A blocking TE seems to be a necessary part of our offense; Watson and Thomas are shaky blockers. If we can sign Graham for a little more than a blocking TE but far less than a premier TE I say go for it. Otherwise, pick up a veteran FA or draft a beast who can block and add 15-20 catches per year.

Samuels – I don’t know why or how but he has become my binkie. I know he has his warts and may not be a true #1 but he is our most experienced starter and seems to be on the rise. My thought process is that he can be signed for mid tier CB money and we add a CB high in the draft (Round 1 or 2) we will have one of the best set of CBs in the league (Hobbs, Samuels, 1st Rounder). Mid tier CB money, which is pretty damn good money, is somewhere around 5 years, $24M, $8M upfront. Using Sheldon Brown, Lito Sheppard, Ike Taylor, Townsend as examples I see Samuels as slightly below their level. Just wishful thinking, my guess is that Samuels hits the open market and gets a better offer elsewhere. I know it won’t happen but I would really love the Pats to sign Nate Clements instead of Samuels. This would be expensive but could provide something closer to Ty law than Samuels.

Enough random thoughts, stay sane during the bye, Go Pats.

p8ryts said:
He was also outspoken about the Branch deal and said the Pats will get one chance to make an offer and if he does like it he is out of here. I think he will definitely be gone next year.
Another just for the record - the claim that Grahambo made a 'one chance to make an offer and then I'm gone' statement came in a Ron Borges' column quoting a "friend," I'll leave it to your judgement on the reliability of the reporting.

BB/SP have once again done a nice job of creating breathing room for team building purposes:
- the Offensive Line depth is even better than Reiss reported - I believe Britt is playing in his first accredited season, which would give him two more ERFA years and an RFA year before he hits FA. Yates and Stevenson on the Practice Squad aren't bad players either.
- Thomas' blocking has been a very pleasant surprise, however the real joy from the ghost of football future is Watson's improved blocking this season. I still consider Grahambo to be the best all-around TE and was pleased to read Reiss today, reporting both and he and Asante had been made extension offers (though the players haven't accepted them). Given the improvement in Watson's run game and Thomas' performance to date, I've moved into the "I want Graham to re-sign" column, leaving the "we've got to have him" column behind.
- I believe Pierre Woods to be comfortably on the OLB track, if we lock up anybody else to an extension, TBC might now be the higher priority, but he and Woods gives us some decent depth behind a couple of guys who I expect will be quite open to staying around to finish their careers.
- For ILB I'm curious to see what Cory Mays does in next years Training Camp, his size on the Patriots.com roster is larger than I thought, and he acted like a ball magnet in the Hula Bowl; Alexander is an enigma, but I can't see BB keeping him around just on the chance Izzo or Davis slide, he may be getting some game time inside if the score allows for training opportunities; I was impressed by Gardner in the preseason, if Woicik can bulk him up more between now and the next Training Camp, we may have the next veteran surprise. I'm feeling very cynical about a possible ILB on the first day of the draft.

I think the "need" shopping list in next year's draft focuses on the secondary, the Pats aren't looking that shabby anywhere else.

Edit: Oops, I forgetted the :woohoo: Koppen is back!

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:
I think the "need" shopping list in next year's draft focuses on the secondary, the Pats aren't looking that shabby anywhere else.
I expect a SERIOUS secondary draft next year. Like a #1, #3 #4 or even more kind of push. I really like the 3 Safeties, we should get one with one of our #1s.

A Koppen comparison from Mike this AM sounds like we got a really good deal done that reinforces utilizing the remaining year on rookie deals as Branch simply refused to consider, while trying to utilize comparables that really weren't comparable in his case. Notice that Koppen isn't in the same stratosphere as say LeCharles Bentley and his 6/$36 with $12M guaranteed. Market isn't getting what the elite at your position get unless you actually are:

"Some emailers have asked how center Dan Koppen's deal -- a five-year extension through 2011, with $7.5 million in bonuses that could be worth up to $20 million -- compares with others around the league.

A good comparison is the contract signed by Justin Hartwig with the Carolina Panthers prior to this season. Hartwig was an unrestricted free agent and he inked a five-year, $17 million contract with $7 million in bonuses ($5 million to sign, $2 million option bonus).

It's likely that Hartwig's deal, which came on the open market, was one of the "comparables" that both sides worked off when putting the Koppen extension together.

Based on Hartwig's deal, which was signed in March, it looks like Koppen got a fair market deal. Hartwig's deal averages $3.3 million per year, while Koppen's deal -- assessed over a six-year term because it doesn't kick in until 2007 -- is at the same figure.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 11:13:49 AM

Fencer said:
One of the papers had a list of the players the Pats have re-signed early. It consisted entirely of young linemen and mature linebackers. That said, I think it forgot an aged RB or two ...

Don't forget a certain quarterback and defensive end

MoLewisrocks said:
A Koppen comparison from Mike this AM sounds like we got a really good deal done that reinforces utilizing the remaining year on rookie deals as Branch simply refused to consider, while trying to utilize comparables that really weren't comparable in his case. Notice that Koppen isn't in the same stratosphere as say LeCharles Bentley and his 6/$36 with $12M guaranteed. Market isn't getting what the elite at your position get unless you actually are:

"Some emailers have asked how center Dan Koppen's deal -- a five-year extension through 2011, with $7.5 million in bonuses that could be worth up to $20 million -- compares with others around the league.

A good comparison is the contract signed by Justin Hartwig with the Carolina Panthers prior to this season. Hartwig was an unrestricted free agent and he inked a five-year, $17 million contract with $7 million in bonuses ($5 million to sign, $2 million option bonus).

It's likely that Hartwig's deal, which came on the open market, was one of the "comparables" that both sides worked off when putting the Koppen extension together.

Based on Hartwig's deal, which was signed in March, it looks like Koppen got a fair market deal. Hartwig's deal averages $3.3 million per year, while Koppen's deal -- assessed over a six-year term because it doesn't kick in until 2007 -- is at the same figure.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 11:13:49 AM

The caveat of the Koppen deal is the fact that he still plays this year out on the cheap, so it's a 6 year committment in principal, even though it is a five year extension. Thus the deal is the same $3.3 million as Hartwig's, as Mo suggests, if you spread out the money conceptually. And I bet Koppen's deal even includes a 'funny money' final season that he'll never see. So his cap hits are probably structured to be low until 2011.

Box of Rocks: Welcome to the 'we'd like for Grambo to be back' camp. We've been somewhat divided here as of late, however.

Do you plan on staying on the 'We'd like him back but fear he is gone' side of camp, or the 'We'd like him back and think it'll likely happen' side of camp? :D

Great news! Koppen's a Keeper!! Woo Woo!

I'm very happy we're keeping him, as well. He snaps reliably, makes good adjustments (he must do, given how well Brady is protected) and hits whoever is to be hit. That's good enough for me!

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Box of Rocks: Welcome to the 'we'd like for Grambo to be back' camp. We've been somewhat divided here as of late, however.

Do you plan on staying on the 'We'd like him back but fear he is gone' side of camp, or the 'We'd like him back and think it'll likely happen' side of camp? :D
Squarely in the we'd like him back and hope to heck he does, but improved blocking from his juniors has lowered the panic level if he moves on.

I think Koppen can feed his family plenty with that amount of money. Branch can k*ss my tush because when he says it's not about the money, we all KNOW it was about the money.

Pawn512 said:
Don't forget a certain quarterback and defensive end
I regard defensive ends and tackles as being "linemen." ... As for Brady, my recollection is that on at least one occasion he REJECTED the chance to sign early for short money. I've forgotten whether he ever had a true mid-contract renegotiation (as opposed to cap shenanigans) or whether he just signed a big contract as an RFA.

BelichickFan said:
I expect a SERIOUS secondary draft next year.
I wouldn't be at all surprised. It's the biggest need position(s), not counting ILB. That said, if two but not three of Gabriel, Jackson, and Caldwell look like they're making it, don't be surprised to see Yet Another Round 2 WR. And if Graham doesn't re-sign -- well, I'm sure you can finish that sentence. :)

Box_O_Rocks said:
- For ILB I'm curious to see what Cory Mays does in next years Training Camp, his size on the Patriots.com roster is larger than I thought, and he acted like a ball magnet in the Hula Bowl; Alexander is an enigma, but I can't see BB keeping him around just on the chance Izzo or Davis slide, he may be getting some game time inside if the score allows for training opportunities; I was impressed by Gardner in the preseason, if Woicik can bulk him up more between now and the next Training Camp, we may have the next veteran surprise. I'm feeling very cynical about a possible ILB on the first day of the draft.

An upgrade in the backup ILB corps, which includes Mays, Alexander, Izzo and Davis, is beyond imperative. If Gardner can make a full recovery, then he will certainly be worth considering. As for the others...we can do better. Easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes