PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dan koppen extended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's that thread here where it was reported that "a friend of a friend" said that Koppen was a lock to go to Philly? :D

This is great news. One less headache this off season.

On to Samuel... and Graham... although I don't have a clue what Daniel's worth.

So, if I got this correct the following are signed for:

QB - Tom Brady (2010)
RB - Laurence Maroney (2010)
TE - Ben Watson (2009)
WR - Chad Jackson (2009)
LT - Matt Light (2010)
LG - Logan Mankins (2009)
OC - Dan Koppen (2010):
RG - Stephen Neal (2009)
RT - Ryan O'Callaghan (2009)

LT/RT - Nick Kaczur (2009)
OG/OC - Russ Hochstein (2008)
TE - David Thomas (2009)
TE - Garrett Mills (2009)

That's pretty darn impressive :singing: :singing: :singing: :singing:

With the exception of Ashworth, all of our metaphors have been locked up :D THEY GO WHEREVER BRADY GOES!

edgecy said:
With the exception of Ashworth, all of our metaphors have been locked up :D THEY GO WHEREVER BRADY GOES!

And Gorin....

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. We needed to get Koppen extended and now we have him locked up for 5 years.

Next target...Daniel Graham. Depends on what he is asking but a little lower then Koppen is all that I could give him. He is a very important player with his superb blocking and can make some big catches when you least expect him to. As for Samuel, we'll see. If we can get 2 of the 3 locked up, great.

Where are all the Kraft critics now, saying they are cheap??

As Jonathan said a few weeks ago - we always spend to the cap and have every intention of spending as wisely as possible.

See, it works so well because the Kraft's stay out it and leave it all to Beioli & co. as they should.

Very glad all the money will end up being spent this year. Koppen is the guy we have to keep among Koppen, Graham, and Samuel. It was deepy troubling to me when we had all that money sitting, but I should have known the Pats knew what they were doing and agreed with similar philosophies.

Kdo5 said:
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. We needed to get Koppen extended and now we have him locked up for 5 years.

Next target...Daniel Graham. Depends on what he is asking but a little lower then Koppen is all that I could give him. He is a very important player with his superb blocking and can make some big catches when you least expect him to. As for Samuel, we'll see. If we can get 2 of the 3 locked up, great.

A lot lower than Koppen. He's not getting anywhere near $4 million. Great blocking TEs with marginal pass catching abilities are not in high demand. I'm thinking $2.5 m for Graham. $4.5 m for Asante Samuel.

But, but, but we have all that cap space and we aren't doing anything with it. We are doomed and the sky is falling and Kraft is going cheap:eek:.

All you guys who said things like that, sign in now. Come on, you know who you are,so stand up and admit it was you.:rofl:

upstater1 said:
A lot lower than Koppen. He's not getting anywhere near $4 million. Great blocking TEs with marginal pass catching abilities are not in high demand. I'm thinking $2.5 m for Graham. $4.5 m for Asante Samuel.
Asante for 4.5? :confused:

Last edited:
BradyManny2344 said:
Great news.

Anyone know what effect the signing and or the bonus have on this year's cap space?

Until the specifics are released, its a guess at what the affect on the salary cap will be.

As a guesstimate, I would say that they just spent another 1.25 to 1.5 million on the cap depending on whether it was a straight 5 year extension or whether it was really a 5 year deal where this year is replaced by the 1st year of the new contract.

Bobs My Uncle said:
So, if I got this correct the following are signed for:

QB - Tom Brady (2010)
RB - Laurence Maroney (2010)
TE - Ben Watson (2009)
WR - Chad Jackson (2009)
LT - Matt Light (2010)
LG - Logan Mankins (2009)
OC - Dan Koppen (2010):
RG - Stephen Neal (2009)
RT - Ryan O'Callaghan (2009)

LT/RT - Nick Kaczur (2009)
OG/OC - Russ Hochstein (2008)
TE - David Thomas (2009)
TE - Garrett Mills (2009)

That's pretty darn impressive :singing: :singing: :singing: :singing:

Is it 2010 or 2011? 2010 means that its only a 4 year extension, not a 5 year as is being reported unless the 5th year is replacing the current year. Which is something the Pats don't like to do.

mgcolby said:
Those cheap bastards! :rolleyes:

Outstanding!!!:D

I knew it!!! He went for the big bucks someplace else!! Why can't we lock.....huh?

Oh. Never mind.:p

DaBruinz said:
Is it 2010 or 2011? 2010 means that its only a 4 year extension, not a 5 year as is being reported unless the 5th year is replacing the current year. Which is something the Pats don't like to do.

It sounds like it's really a 4 year extension, but the bonus will be paid this year, meaning it will be spread over 5 years. In that case it would be $1.5M against this year's cap and about $4.5M per year over the next 4 years. I imagine we'll find out the exact details tomorrow.

Sounds like a lot, but the pay scale has been changed with the last CBA. At any rate, it's great to have him locked down. It doesn't look like we'll have to worry about the OL for the next few years.

upstater1 said:

Dave Campbell has marginal pass catching skills. Graham is a much better receiver than Campbell.

This is a very fair deal for both sides IMO.

I'm glad they got the deal done now - the price was only going to go up in the offseason and someone would surely outbid the Patriots.

I wonder if the injury to Woody helped spur Koppen into inking a deal now - a reminder that he doesn't have financial security should he suffer an injury right now.

fillylabinga said:
It sounds like it's really a 4 year extension, but the bonus will be paid this year, meaning it will be spread over 5 years. In that case it would be $1.5M against this year's cap and about $4.5M per year over the next 4 years. I imagine we'll find out the exact details tomorrow.

Sounds like a lot, but the pay scale has been changed with the last CBA. At any rate, it's great to have him locked down. It doesn't look like we'll have to worry about the OL for the next few years.

See, I think it truly is a 5 year extension. Which would make it only 1.25 million per year against the cap. But, as I said, until the specifics come out, or are posted on the NFLPA, we won't know what the true affect is.

PATSNUTme said:
But, but, but we have all that cap space and we aren't doing anything with it. We are doomed and the sky is falling and Kraft is going cheap:eek:.

All you guys who said things like that, sign in now. Come on, you know who you are,so stand up and admit it was you.:rofl:

Shhh! I have them all locked up under the bridge! Please, don't stir up the ****oo's nest. ;)

Koppen's comments thanks to Mike Reiss' blog:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Center Dan Koppen, who is attending tonight's Boston College/Virginia Tech game, said he was "flying high" regarding news of his contract extension.

Speaking over the noise of the crowd before kickoff, he said: "I’m just really excited to be here. I guess this is the goal of every NFL player, to get to that second contract. It doesn’t happen as much as people think and it’s one of those things that when you’re playing, you can’t worry about it. You do what’s best for your team, try to win games, and everything else takes care of itself.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back