PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Damien Woody: "The 2009 Jets have more talent than the 2001 Patriots"

Status
Not open for further replies.
On first glance, I almost agreed with Woody, but when looking at the rosters, it's painfully obvious that the 2001 Pats were actually a very good team with very good talent. The 2009 Jets have major holes. As has been said already, the team lacked the talent and cohesiveness to make the playoffs. It took the Colts and Bengals falling on their swords for the Jets to make the dance.

Woody was almost smart enough to think playing in Detroit for a few hundred thousand more was a good idea, so take his comment with a grain of rock salt.

Seeing that Brady was patting him on butt every other minute its hard to believe even a lost sailor like Woody could think for one second that Sanchize has the magic Brady carried with him. Not to mention the Pats having a backup QB good enough to win a game in the playoffs for them; Kellen Clemens? I don't think so...

Last edited:
I understand that every player who leaves the patriots for more money is a scumbag, and that the 2001 patriots were so talented that they should have been favored through the season as Super Bowl favorites.

It's possible BB would even agree with Woody's statement.

Going by memory, I believe it was in the book "Patriot Reign" (although I could be wrong), that after the Pats beat the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI he was quoted as saying "Can you believe we won the Super Bowl with this f***ing team?!?"

We won the 2002 Super Bowl with arguably the weakest talent EVER to have won a Super Bowl. The discussion at the time was not how great the talent was, but how weak the talent was.

The 2001 patriots may have been one of the best TEAM efforts ever, and a major sports miracle.

It's possible BB would even agree with Woody's statement.

Going by memory, I believe it was in the book "Patriot Reign" (although I could be wrong), that after the Pats beat the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI he was quoted as saying "Can you believe we won the Super Bowl with this f***ing team?!?"

this thread is like talking to a townie at the local watering hole... the older he is, the better he was in hs :rolleyes: That team was not good on paper, but found a way to shock everyone. I know I was expecting them to get tossed around, as did most of the people I talked to leading up to the game. It was the complete opposite of '07.

Last edited:
Could it be that Woody is just giving support and praising his current team?

Do you expect him to have a picture of the 2001 team hung in his locker?

When does a player say that a previous team they were on was better? Does a player say it while in the middle of a successful run with the current team?

2001 is an easy reference point. It was Woody's first SB. This year is possibly the first SB for most (all?) of the rest of the Jets. It seems like he is backing up his team.

Last edited:
so did the 2001 oakland raiders, the 2001 pittsburgh steelers, the 2001 tampa bay bus and the 2001 st. louis rams....we got a super bowl, they didnt. who cares

We won the 2002 Super Bowl with arguably the weakest talent EVER to have won a Super Bowl. The discussion at the time was not how great the talent was, but how weak the talent was.

The 2001 patriots may have been one of the best TEAM efforts ever, and a major sports miracle.

So your claim seems to be that the 2001 Super Bowl Champion Patriots had less talent than a 2009 Jets team that got into the playoffs as a wild card team largely because the last two teams it played were mailing it in after having already clinched playoff spots.

Interesting.

It's not rocket science, it's not any kind of science, it's competitive sport. The 11-5 2008 Patriots didn't fairly get a chance to compete in the tournament even though they clearly deserved it more than than the 9-7 teams that got in. Phony created calls by the referees (face guarding, wtf) help pushed other Patriots team out of the playoffs. The SB is a great reward, but it doesn't mean there aren't outside uncontrollable factors that assist in the outcome of any given year.

And at this point I'm pretty tired and don't know exactly what I'm arguing. BTW the 2009 Jets can't compare to the 2001 Patriots, so yea screw the damn Jets.

or the 8-8 charger girls.

i'm in san diego and anyone rooting for sd should know that whenever any team plays a boston team, all of sd is rooting for the other team.

I am really going to enjoy watching the Chargers demolish these loudmouths.

Could it be that Woody is just giving support and praising his current team?

Do you expect him to have a picture of the 2001 team hung in his locker?

When does a player say that a previous team they were on was better? Does a player say it while in the middle of a successful run with the current team?

2001 is an easy reference point. It was Woody's first SB. This year is possibly the first SB for most (all?) of the rest of the Jets. It seems like he is backing up his team.

===========================================================

Woody, Faneca, and Thomas Jones. Izzo on IR.:)

I think the question in this thread is who had the most talent, not who won the most games or a SB, or who even reached there potential.

There is a good argument that it is the Jets, although these discussions are always pure speculation, there can be no rite or wrong answer. IMHO

More talented than a team that had the following career Pro Bowl players on the roster:

Tom Brady
Drew Bledsoe
Troy Brown
Terry Glenn
Matt Light
Damien Woody himself
Ty Law
Lawyer Milloy
Richard Seymour
Tedy Bruschi
Willie McGinest
Mike Vrabel
Larry Izzo
Bryan Cox
Adam Vinatieri

Along with non-Pro Bowl veteran talents like Kevin Faulk, Ted Johnson, Antowain Smith, and key role players like Roman Phifer, Otis Smith, Jermaine Wiggins, Joe Andruzzi...

Yeah, more talented. Whatever, Damien. :rolleyes:

===========================================================

Woody, Faneca, and Thomas Jones. Izzo on IR.:)

I think the question in this thread is who had the most talent, not who won the most games or a SB, or who even reached there potential.

There is a good argument that it is the Jets, although these discussions are always pure speculation, there can be no rite or wrong answer. IMHO

New England's Qb went to the Pro Bowl in his first full season. The Jets QB would have been 4th string on that Patriots team. With a difference that stark at the most important position on the field, there's nothing approaching a "good argument that it is the Jets".

New England's Qb went to the Pro Bowl in his first full season. The Jets QB would have been 4th string on that Patriots team. With a difference that stark at the most important position on the field, there's nothing approaching a "good argument that it is the Jets".

============================================================

We are not talking the best team, were talking talent, It can easily be argued the Sanchez has as much if not more pure raw talent then Brady.

I am not saying Sanchez is better then Brady, he is not.

I think that was Damien's point.

By the way Sanchez technically has not had a full season yet. :)

Last edited:

We are not talking the best team, were talking talent, It can easily be argued the Sanchez has as much if not more pure raw talent then Brady.

There's no conceivable way that anyone can compare the 2009 Jets against the 2001 Patriots. All things considered, there really is no comparison to be honest. The 2001 Patriots are laden with more talent and are simply a better team than the 2009 Jets.

Sure, if you define talent in some way that has little or nothing to do with quarterbacking, you could try to make that argument. I'm sure Sanchez runs faster. Congratulations on that.

This is real simple. If the 2009 Jets win the Superbowl.....they might....MIGHT be even in the same realm of the 2001 Pats.....

Although we all know that SD will crush them so my argument is irrelevant. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST