PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Damien Woody: "The 2009 Jets have more talent than the 2001 Patriots"

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, you're underrating that team. By quite a bit, too, really.

Really? There wasn't a lot of elite talent on that team. You are talking a lot of older washed up players playing above their talent (Otis Smith, Anthony Clements, Bryan Cox, Roman Phifer) and journeymen players who didn't

If you go by position, you aren't going to find a lot of upper echalon talent:

QB - Tom Brady, Drew Bledsoe - That position was stacked, but Brady was more of game manager at that point

RB- Antowain Smith, Marc Edwards, Patrick Pass, JR Redmond, Kevin Faulk - Smith was above average, Edwards was a good FB, and the rest were crap. Faulk didn't really become that elite 3rd down back until 2003

WR - Troy Brown, David Patten, did any of the rest matter since none of them caught balls - No depth whatsoever, Brown had a career year, Patten was a decent #2 WR, and the Pats might have been better off carrying more RBs than any other WR

TE - Rod Rutledge, Jermaine Wiggins - You would have thought the Pats didn't have a receiving TE until the playoffs. Subpar group.

OL - Light, Andruzzi, Compton, Woody, Randall, Jones, Williams, Ruegamer - Woody was a Pro Bowler and the rest of the starters were servicable to good.

DL - Hamilton, Mitchell, Pleasant, Parker, Seymour - Overall an average group. Seymour had a very good rookie season. Hamilton was a surprise after being a journeyman most of his career. Pleasant had his moments. Mitchell was Mitchell.

LB - McGinest, Phifer, Bruschi, Johnson, Cox, Tuiteli, Turner - Arguably the best unit of the entire team. Phifer was a great surprise. Bruschi was great. McGinest was very good, but still hadn't fully rebounded from his injury laden middle of his career though, Vrabel was decent, but hadn't fully emerged as the solid starter he became later in the Super Bowl run, Cox broke his leg and was more important for his hit against Indy.

DBs - Smith, Law, Milloy, Tebucky, Meyer, Harris, Stevens, Buckley, Cherry - Law struggled early in the season, but was elite late. Milloy was elite. Stevens and Tebucky did a good job rotating at FS. Smith made some plays and played over his head considering he was slower than crap.

Special teams - Vinatieri, Walter, Troy, Faulk - Vinatieri had a legendary season. Walter was decent. Troy was a good punt returner. Faulk was average at kick returns.

Ok, I know I missed some players, but I got all the best players and starters and most of the primary back ups. I don't see all this great talent. I see mostly (at least at the time) a lot of overachiever and guys on the rise with a few great players. I think you may be overrating the talent.

I agree that the jets have more player talent than the 2001 patriots.

I also find it interesting to see how much better Antowain Smith gets as the years go on.

Last edited:
Ok, I know I missed some players, but I got all the best players and starters and most of the primary back ups. I don't see all this great talent. I see mostly (at least at the time) a lot of overachiever and guys on the rise with a few great players. I think you may be overrating the talent.

I'm not overrating the talent. You made a crazy assertion

Any given year, there are a half dozen teams that have more talent than the 2001 Patriots. I don't disagree that the 2009 Jets are more talented.

and my post wasn't even specifically aimed at you. I just assumed you were engaged in hyperbole in order to cover up the poor argument of the 2009 Jets being more talented than that 2001 team.

Hell, the player who is hands down the best player on the Jets is Revis. Ty Law was an All-Pro level player himself at that time, esentially negating even the Jets best player.

Last edited:

To think that team would contend, let alone win a super bowl, would normally be unheard of. You have:
Great set of LB's
Elite CB
Beastly rookie DE taken with the #4 pick

That's about all the true "strengths" the team had. Troy Brown had a great season, but him being the only true playmaker on offense speaks volumes. He's ideally a #3. Matt Light is a solid franchise LT but hardly dominant/elite. The rest of the team was a bunch of bargain FA pickups. Brady was a great game manager but far from the QB he became.

Woody: Jets have more talent than '01 Patriots - SignOnSanDiego.com

Interesting comment from another loudmouth in NY

If this does not want you to see Woody and his boys home in thier own houses watching the Chargers play on next week then nothing will.

The 2001 Patriots had a guy named Brady....Sanchez could not carry his jockstrap.

He's 100% right..........who can argue that? Outside of McGinest, Law, Brady, Bruschi, Seymour, Brown and Vrabel who else was really that good? Faulk didn't turn it on until later and Milloy was and to me has always been WAY OVERATED.

Really? There wasn't a lot of elite talent on that team. You are talking a lot of older washed up players playing above their talent (Otis Smith, Anthony Clements, Bryan Cox, Roman Phifer) and journeymen players who didn't

If you go by position, you aren't going to find a lot of upper echalon talent:

QB - Tom Brady, Drew Bledsoe - That position was stacked, but Brady was more of game manager at that point

RB- Antowain Smith, Marc Edwards, Patrick Pass, JR Redmond, Kevin Faulk - Smith was above average, Edwards was a good FB, and the rest were crap. Faulk didn't really become that elite 3rd down back until 2003

WR - Troy Brown, David Patten, did any of the rest matter since none of them caught balls - No depth whatsoever, Brown had a career year, Patten was a decent #2 WR, and the Pats might have been better off carrying more RBs than any other WR

TE - Rod Rutledge, Jermaine Wiggins - You would have thought the Pats didn't have a receiving TE until the playoffs. Subpar group.

OL - Light, Andruzzi, Compton, Woody, Randall, Jones, Williams, Ruegamer - Woody was a Pro Bowler and the rest of the starters were servicable to good.

DL - Hamilton, Mitchell, Pleasant, Parker, Seymour - Overall an average group. Seymour had a very good rookie season. Hamilton was a surprise after being a journeyman most of his career. Pleasant had his moments. Mitchell was Mitchell.

LB - McGinest, Phifer, Bruschi, Johnson, Cox, Tuiteli, Turner - Arguably the best unit of the entire team. Phifer was a great surprise. Bruschi was great. McGinest was very good, but still hadn't fully rebounded from his injury laden middle of his career though, Vrabel was decent, but hadn't fully emerged as the solid starter he became later in the Super Bowl run, Cox broke his leg and was more important for his hit against Indy.

DBs - Smith, Law, Milloy, Tebucky, Meyer, Harris, Stevens, Buckley, Cherry - Law struggled early in the season, but was elite late. Milloy was elite. Stevens and Tebucky did a good job rotating at FS. Smith made some plays and played over his head considering he was slower than crap.

Special teams - Vinatieri, Walter, Troy, Faulk - Vinatieri had a legendary season. Walter was decent. Troy was a good punt returner. Faulk was average at kick returns.

Agree completely. For the Jets:

QB - Mark Sanchez, Kellen Clemens
RB - Thomas Jones, Tony Richardson, Shonn Greene, (Leon Washington)
WR - Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Brad Smith, David Clowney
TE - Dustin Keller, Ben Hartsock
OL - D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, Brandon Moore, Robert Turner, Wayne Hunter

DL - (Kris Jenkins), Shaun Ellis, Marques Douglas, Sione Pouha, Mike DeVito
LB - David Harris, Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, Vernon Gholston
DBs - Darrelle Revis, Lito Sheppard, Kerry Rhodes, Jim Leonhard, Dwight Lowery, Eric Smith, Drew Coleman

STs - Jay Feely, Steve Weatherford, (Leon Washington), Brad Smith

He's 100% right..........who can argue that? Outside of McGinest, Law, Brady, Bruschi, Seymour, Brown and Vrabel who else was really that good? Faulk didn't turn it on until later and Milloy was and to me has always been WAY OVERATED.

I never said he was not right because the Jets DO have a better team than the 2001 Patriots with only Brady looking better as an individual comparison in that year than Sanchez.

The bottom line is that he needs to worry more about a hot Chargers team he is facing and less about ANY Patriots team he was on before.

Last edited:
I agree that the jets have more player talent than the 2001 patriots.

I also find it interesting to see how much better Antowain Smith gets as the years go on.

By 2020 he'll be a consensus hall of famer

Safety - NE
CB - Even
LB - NE
DL - NE
QB - NE
WR - NE
OL - NY
RB - NY
TE - NY
K - NE
P - NY

The difference at QB alone makes the comparison absurd.

Last edited:
who cares what Woody thinks? The most talented teams dont always win the SB, the best TEAM does. If, and its a BIG IF, the Jets win the SB this year, then the comparisons can start with the 2001 Pats. Until then, there is no comparison.

who cares what Woody thinks? The most talented teams dont always win the SB, the best TEAM does. If, and its a BIG IF, the Jets win the SB this year, then the comparisons can start with the 2001 Pats. Until then, there is no comparison.

This isn't the first time a member of the Jets organization said something that was too early and unworthy of speaking about at that time.

The Rex Ryan statement that the Jets were out of playoff contention after they lost to the Jags is one of several moronic Jets statements this year..Woody adds another to the pot (in terms of winning titles that is).

Last edited:
I never said he was not right because the Jets DO have a better team than the 2001 Patriots with only Brady looking better as an individual comparison in that year than Sanchez.

Better team? No. More talent? Yes. Not the same.

Woody is WRONG!!!!!!! The Pats were a division winner and a #2 seed. We also had the greatest clutch kicker. The Jets also have a rookie QB who will cause their demise in the playoffs.

Safety - NE
CB - Even
LB - NE
DL - NE
QB - NE
WR - NE
OL - NY
RB - NY
TE - NY
K - NE
P - NY

I would give the edge in WR to the Jets. I think Troy was better than Bryalon Edwards, but the rest of each corp goes to the Jets. Cotchery is better than Patten and they actually had depth at WR which the Pats had none of.

I might give d-lines a push because neither had great d-lines.

I would give the edge in WR to the Jets. I think Troy was better than Bryalon Edwards, but the rest of each corp goes to the Jets. Cotchery is better than Patten and they actually had depth at WR which the Pats had none of.

I might give d-lines a push because neither had great d-lines.

Cotchery isn't better than Patten (statistically speaking, they were almost in a dead heat) and 2001 Troy was vastly superior to 2009 Braylon "35 receptions and 6 drops in 13 games as the team's #1" Edwards. As for depth, you should definitely re-scan that Jets chart, because you're way off. The Patriots win the WR matchup, and it's Brown over Edwards making it a huge edge to the Patriots.

D-Line would have been more of an even match if Jennings hadn't gotten hurt. With him gone, it's Patriots, fairly comfortably.

Last edited:
Certainly doesn't sound like the Jets' minds are on the San Diego Chargers this weekend. Good.

That is a true statement. And that is why the Jets will look even more foolish when they lose in the playoffs.

Safety - NE
CB - Even
LB - NE
DL - NE
QB - NE
WR - NE
OL - NY
RB - NY
TE - NY
K - NE
P - NY

That's a fair summary Deus. People really do tend to under rate the 2001 Patriots because they finished 11-5 in the regular season, not 14-2 or so like the 2003 and 2004 editions I find.

Surprise surprise the personality of the coach rubbing off on his team ten fold. It makes it awfully difficult to appreciate how good Revis is playing for these loud mouthed disrespectful jokers.

Last edited:
Woody is dead to me .... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes