PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Damien Woody: "The 2009 Jets have more talent than the 2001 Patriots"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tournament is not exactly "deciding the best team", it's letting the teams who earned a right to compete in the tournament battle it out to determine a champion. A "champion" doesn't equate to "best". Of course the entire debate about analyzing who was the "best" in the regular season and/or playoffs is really meaningless, and we all know the pinnacle of all competition is championship. I'm just saying that just because a team won in a given year doesn't make that team likely to win in other years or other circumstances.

Yet that 2001 team preceded 2 of the next 3 SB teams.

Last edited:
It's all statistics with you, isn't it? I believe he threw 4 against the Broncos. Plus he had two receivers, basically. Amateur tight ends and not much receiving out of the backfield.

I'd say he was pretty efficient given what he had to work with.

I didn't say he wasn't efficient... pointing out that we don't want/need any leash on Brady. I know that's not exactly what you meant but it read as sensationalizing the past.

Yet that 2001 team preceded 2 of the next 3 SB teams.

It directly preceded a non-playoff team, and after 2 years of offseason upgrades and changes and growth were they able to put together the awesome and extremely rare run of 03-04. The 01 team wasn't really all that similar to the 03-04 teams.

It directly preceded a non-playoff team, and after 2 years of offseason upgrades and changes and growth were they able to put together the awesome and extremely rare run of 03-04. The 01 team wasn't really all that similar to the 03-04 teams.

So your saying we had two years from the 2007 team and came up with this?

Jets have talent, but it takes more then talent, takes hunger, commitment, perseverance, determination, confidence, good coaching, and some luck.

Ironicaly Pennington would of been perfect for the 2009 Jets.

I like the Sanchez, I just don't think he is up to the task yet, but hey you never know.

The tournament is not exactly "deciding the best team", it's letting the teams who earned a right to compete in the tournament battle it out to determine a champion. A "champion" doesn't equate to "best". Of course the entire debate about analyzing who was the "best" in the regular season and/or playoffs is really meaningless, and we all know the pinnacle of all competition is championship. I'm just saying that just because a team won in a given year doesn't make that team likely to win in other years or other circumstances.
You're pissing up a tree here mate. You perform in the home and away season to put yourself in a stronger position in the post-season. The teams that have performed better in the regular season are given an advantage to reward them for their home and away performances. From there, the best teams in the NFL battle each other for the right to get to the Superbowl and be named the best team that season by winning the Superbowl.

It's not rocket science.

Damien Woody is an idiot. Just the players drafted by the New England Patriots alone are better the current NY Jets defense:

1994 - Willie McGinest
1995 - Ty Law
1995 - Ted Johnson
1996 - Lawyer Milloy
1996 - Tedy Bruschi
1998 - Tebucky Jones
2001 - Richard Seymour

If it wasn't for the Colts giving up on a perfect season, the Jets would have not even qualified for the playoffs.

Woody should shut up. Not only do they have less talent than the '01 team, they are way less intelligent. The '01 Pats would NEVER have allowed an idiotic lineman to say something stupid a couple of days before the Divisional Round.

You're pissing up a tree here mate. You perform in the home and away season to put yourself in a stronger position in the post-season. The teams that have performed better in the regular season are given an advantage to reward them for their home and away performances. From there, the best teams in the NFL battle each other for the right to get to the Superbowl and be named the best team that season by winning the Superbowl.

It's not rocket science.

It's not rocket science, it's not any kind of science, it's competitive sport. The 11-5 2008 Patriots didn't fairly get a chance to compete in the tournament even though they clearly deserved it more than than the 9-7 teams that got in. Phony created calls by the referees (face guarding, wtf) help pushed other Patriots team out of the playoffs. The SB is a great reward, but it doesn't mean there aren't outside uncontrollable factors that assist in the outcome of any given year.

And at this point I'm pretty tired and don't know exactly what I'm arguing. BTW the 2009 Jets can't compare to the 2001 Patriots, so yea screw the damn Jets.

Last edited:
So your saying we had two years from the 2007 team and came up with this?

I'm not following? I didn't say the last 2 offseasons were great (and you can't really go up from 2007, there's basically only one way you can go but rest assured the 2007 team was the best Patriots team that has ever been put together).

It's not rocket science, it's not any kind of science, it's competitive sport. The 11-5 2008 Patriots didn't fairly get a chance to compete in the tournament even though they clearly deserved it more than than the 9-7 teams that got in. Phony created calls by the referees (face guarding, wtf) help pushed other Patriots team out of the playoffs. The SB is a great reward, but it doesn't mean there aren't outside uncontrollable factors that assist in the outcome of any given year.

And at this point I'm pretty tired and don't know exactly what I'm arguing. BTW the 2009 Jets can't compare to the 2001 Patriots, so yea screw the damn Jets.
The rules are the rules and the Patriots have their own destiny in their own hands. Sure we probably deserved to be in the playoffs, but owing to the Dolphins in our division we didn't so bad luck.

In the end, yes.. screw the Jets :D

The rules are the rules and the Patriots have their own destiny in their own hands. Sure we probably deserved to be in the playoffs, but owing to the Dolphins in our division we didn't so bad luck.

Well face guarding is not a rule, but yea point taken.

In the end, yes.. screw the Jets :D

Just for emphasis, the Jets suck! :)

Maybe in some ways that is true. However Tom Brady was better than Sanchez.

Huh?

Defense
Ty Law
Willie McGinest
Ted Johnson
Tedy Bruschi
Mike Vrabel
Roman Phifer
Richard Seymour
Bobby Hamilton (2003)

Offense
Tom Brady
Matt Light
Joe Andruzzi
Mike Compton (2003)
Damien Woody (2003)
Antowain Smith (2003)
Kevin Faulk
Patrick Pass
Troy Brown
David Patten

Really? Then, "just win, baby!"

Woody: Jets have more talent than '01 Patriots - SignOnSanDiego.com

Interesting comment from another loudmouth in NY

If this does not want you to see Woody and his boys home in thier own houses watching the Chargers play on next week then nothing will.

The 2001 Patriots had a guy named Brady....Sanchez could not carry his jockstrap.

How would he know, he was hurt.....fat slob bum couldn't even hike in the shotgun even though he was unjustly making millions.

Damien Woody was fat and he sucked, and he still is and does.....not only that but he's a chump following another loudmouth fat slob that hasn't won anything.......
"Hitch ya wagon here bud dyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy I'll take ya to the promised land"......

Bah

Huh?

Defense
Ty Law
Willie McGinest
Ted Johnson
Tedy Bruschi
Mike Vrabel
Roman Phifer
Richard Seymour
Bobby Hamilton (2003)

Offense
Tom Brady
Matt Light
Joe Andruzzi
Mike Compton (2003)
Damien Woody (2003)
Antowain Smith (2003)
Kevin Faulk
Patrick Pass
Troy Brown
David Patten

I don't get your "huh". Take a look at the 2001 superbowl roster and the 2004 superbowl roster. If you think the 03-04 run was a replica of the 2001 team then I don't know what to tell ya.

I don't get your "huh". Take a look at the 2001 superbowl roster and the 2004 superbowl roster. If you think the 03-04 run was a replica of the 2001 team then I don't know what to tell ya.
I just listed most of the key players from the 2001 roster who were also on the 2003 roster. What's so difficult to comprehend?

I just listed most of the key players from the 2001 roster who were also on the 2003 roster. What's so difficult to comprehend?

And I never said that 2003 didn't start the year with a lot of key guys, obviously there wasn't a 2 year massive overhaul. They kept a lot of the talent, improved in many areas and got new talent. At the end of it 'all', in 2004 SB the team really only had shades of the 2001 team.

2002 was a closer team to 2001 than 2003 but especially 2004.

Woody's comments make me laugh, pretty sure the 2001 Pats didn't have there last 2 regular season opponents basically lay down for them. Man, I don't think the Jest realize how lucky they are to be in the playoffs...

I hate the Chargers, but I hope they blow the Jests out...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey