PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Damien Jarrett's Mock Draft Picks 17-32 V1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to understand how Fleener is considered 1st round talent?
What makes you think he is or he isn't? The question should be asked.

What makes you think he is or he isn't? The question should be asked.

Because Dwayne Allen is the best TE in the draft and he's a late, late 1st rounder? Probably goes to NYG at #32.

With the 27th overall pick, I would select either Fletcher Cox, DT from Mississippi State or Jerel Worthy, DT from Michigan State.

2012_DT NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

I possibly foresee the New England Patriots shifting back to the 3-4 defense and the New England Patriots have only five non-concussed defensive lineman on the roster:

Wilfork
Love
Brace
Deaderick
Pryor

It's also time to move away from the ancient dinosaurs that once roamed the fields, whose pass rushing abilities are a distant memory: Shaun Ellis, Gerard Warren, Marcus Stroud

If Fleener fell to 32 would the Patriots have a look?
With all the deficiencies in the New England Patriots defense, selecting a tight end in the first round makes no sense whatsoever.

With all the deficiencies in the New England Patriots defense, selecting a tight end in the first round makes no sense whatsoever.
So did taking 2 Running Backs and a Quarterback within the first 3 rounds in 2011. However, after closer inspection, it made perfect sense.

The two Tight End centric offense didn't function so well with 1 Tight End healthy in the Superbowl did it?

Last edited:
So did taking 2 Running Backs and a Quarterback within the first 3 rounds in 2011. However, after closer inspection, it made perfect sense.
Oh really? The two running backs and the quarterback selected in the 2011 NFL Draft did not contribute whatsoever in the AFC Championship Game nor the Super Bowl.

The two Tight End centric offense didn't function so well with 1 Tight End healthy in the Superbowl did it?
A typical overreaction to an unforeseen injury. The lack of offensive diversification contributed to the loss; wide receivers Deion Branch and Chad Ochostinko did not pick up the offensive slack in the New England Patriots pass offense. In addition, the offensive game plan required a far greater involvement of the running backs in the rushing and passing attack.

Chris Polk isn't going @17. He likely still on the board going into round 3.

Dontari Poe @ 6'%' 350 does not project as a replacement for Casey Hampton at NT in a 3-4.

I think both Cox and Hightower are better picks for the Patriots defense than Mercilus. Hightower going to the Ravens is a nightmare. Please somebody else take him before that pick if we aren't going to do it.

I don't think Dennard is a first round talent. I think they would take Thompson or Branch before Dennard or more likely trade down and take one of them at 48 or trade up from 48 to 40-ish and do the same.

Taking 2 running backs and a QB in last year's draft made no sense at the time.

Taking 2 running backs and a QB in last year's draft makes no sense now.

I think BB will trade the 27th pick for a mint condition, 1951 Studebaker Commander on the assumption that it is a classic and he will be able to flip it for a top five pick in 2013. :rocker:

Looking at that mock I somehow would like to see them take Hightower (LB) and Coby Fleener (TE) with 27 and 31. Would prefer Konz as a replacement for Koppen but he's gne. Hightower would look good in the middle with Spikes and Mayo could freelance at LB. Fleener would be perfect next to Gronk and Hernandez. Unstoppable. We could then find DL and DB/S help in the 2nd.

Oh really? The two running backs and the quarterback selected in the 2011 NFL Draft did not contribute whatsoever in the AFC Championship Game nor the Super Bowl.

A typical overreaction to an unforeseen injury. The lack of offensive diversification contributed to the loss; wide receivers Deion Branch and Chad Ochostinko did not pick up the offensive slack in the New England Patriots pass offense. In addition, the offensive game plan required a far greater involvement of the running backs in the rushing and passing attack.
Yeah, because if time has proven anything it's that I constantly overreact to everything Patriots.

I'm not disagreeing with you RE: the offense. You can pull a search history of my thoughts toward a more balanced offense, but the fact is, the Patriots played a heavy Tight End centric offense in 2011 predicated on the two TE formation. Not having someone who could replace Gronk, even in if for "positional fit" was a failure in list management.

Receiver issues have been there for some time outside of Welker. The Patriots tried with Ocho. It simply didn't work out. It happens.

No Deus, you're wrong. It made perfect sense in retrospect. Ridley improved as the season progressed and whilst I would have liked to have seen him integrated into the playoff picture, I understand why the Patriots went with Green-Ellis and Woodhead.

I don't have an opinion on Vereen & Mallett in terms of game day contributions.

Last edited:
Quality corners are the most difficult positions to fill in draft so you have to take a top flight one if he becomes available. And corners seems to get injured a lot on the Patriots so CB depth is desperately needed. The Patriots also need help at free safety but again it might be best to fill that with a one of our existing corners (McCourty) or draft tall CB.

...No Deus, you're wrong. It made perfect sense in retrospect. Ridley improved as the season progressed and whilst I would have liked to have seen him integrated into the playoff picture, I understand why the Patriots went with Green-Ellis and Woodhead.

I don't have an opinion on Vereen & Mallett in terms of game day contributions.

No, it doesn't make sense in retrospect. Taking one running back and zero quarterbacks that high would have made sense.

Making stupid comments about a rookie quarterback not contributing in the SuperBowl when he'd been a back-up all year does nothing to help your cause. In fact, it shows a short-sightedness to anything you happen to post.

As for the RBs, that was more disappointing, though Vereen not contributing in the SB can be chalked up to an unforseen injury.

How do you know what the "offensive game plan" required?

I agree that Branch and OchoCinco didn't do enough to pick up the slack, though the drops by Welker and Hernandez in critical situations didn't help matters either.

Last edited:
No, it doesn't make sense in retrospect. Taking one running back and zero quarterbacks that high would have made sense.
Again, I'm going to meet you with a simple comment, you're wrong Deus. Whilst you're busy addressing the now, BB is addressing the future.

Thankfully, BB has the foresight to construct a team through the draft, free agency, trades and UDFA. This is the salary cap era where having your pie and eating it doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Sorry, but I have to call BS on this. Taking 2 RBs made PLENTY of sense at the time. It's amazing how people so quickly forget what the situation of the Pats RBs was at the time of the draft.

At the time of the draft, the Pats had Danny Woodhead under contract at RB. Fred Taylor and Kevin Faulk were UFAs and BJGE status was undetermined. He'd either be a UFA or RFA. So the Pats, thinking for the present and long term, added Shane Vereen and Steven Ridley. That gave them 3 RBs whom they knew would be under contract. The Pats had no idea if Faulk could come back and they had no idea of BJGE would be re-signed.

As for drafting Mallett, how you can claim that it doesn't make sense now is beyond me. The Pats got a 1st round talent QB in the 3rd round. Considering Hoyer's status as an RFA and the fact that it's a very weak QB class in the draft, someone might try and sign him away from the Pats this year or in 2013. Having Mallett already in the system means that it will be much easier to let Hoyer walk and take a draft pick this year or allow him to walk next year if he hasn't been traded.

I think BB will trade the 27th pick for a mint condition, 1951 Studebaker Commander on the assumption that it is a classic and he will be able to flip it for a top five pick in 2013. :rocker:

Just a point of information. In all the times the Pats have had two 1st round draft picks, Belichick has never traded away the higher of the two. Just a tidbit from War Room.

Just a point of information. In all the times the Pats have had two 1st round draft picks, Belichick has never traded away the higher of the two. Just a tidbit from War Room.

But...but...but, it's a 1951 Commander! Isn't that worth breaking the mold?

Last edited:
Quality corners are the most difficult positions to fill in draft so you have to take a top flight one if he becomes available. And corners seems to get injured a lot on the Patriots so CB depth is desperately needed. The Patriots also need help at free safety but again it might be best to fill that with a one of our existing corners (McCourty) or draft tall CB.

Kirkpatrick is tumbling down draft boards due to his stupidity. He is 6'2" or so and tackles and runs well.

If he is available at #27, does BB make that call? You know that BB has more knowledge of all the Alabama players and how they fit into our system than any coach in football.

Would Kirkpatrick and Hightower be a good first round for us?

I possibly foresee the New England Patriots shifting back to the 3-4 defense and the New England Patriots have only five non-concussed defensive lineman on the roster:

Wilfork
Love
Brace
Deaderick
Pryor

It's also time to move away from the ancient dinosaurs that once roamed the fields, whose pass rushing abilities are a distant memory: Shaun Ellis, Gerard Warren, Marcus Stroud

great analysis. ellis, warren and anyone who was a first round bust with limited tread please not apply. Brace is gone IMO and Wright based on the concussions. Love the idea of drafting Crick or Cox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference