Damien Jarrett's Mock Draft Picks 17-32 V1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Damien Jarrett's Mock Draft Picks 17-32 V1
By: Damien Jarrett

Check out who Damien Jarrett thinks teams will select with picks 17-32 of his 2012 Mock NFL Draft, including the two Patriots first round choices.......

That will make for some interesting debates if Hightower, Cox, Mercilus and Dennard are all available when it's the Pats turn at #27 - assuming they don't trade down.

I would be extremely satisfied with both of those selection. I am just not sure if Dennard will be available at the 31 spot though. I like Dennard a lot though, I think he'd be a great fit for us, smart player too.

I would be extremely angry at both of these selections. At #27 we still have a legit shot at a difference making DT and WR and we're going to pass that up for the third or fourth best DE in a class of weak DEs? No thanks. Grab a DE/OLB in the 2nd round like Andre Branch or Vinny Curry.

I would be extremely angry at both of these selections. At #27 we still have a legit shot at a difference making DT and WR and we're going to pass that up for the third or fourth best DE in a class of weak DEs? No thanks. Grab a DE/OLB in the 2nd round like Andre Branch or Vinny Curry.

extremely angry.......that's not healthy

Our biggest need is not WR, our defense needs so much more help than our offense. If it weren't for aaron rodgers last season, brady would have broken the all time passing record, yet you are suggesting we need to spend a first round pick on a second tier wide out? If we could get floyd at 27 I would be all for it, but he will be long gone, other than floyd or blackmon, there are no other receivers I really want in the first round.

Greetings,
Let's draft the beast Whitney Mercilus since he can rush the passer. On a serious note I think he can convert to 3-4 OLB, many people say he can't do it. I honestly think he can be coached up to it, since he has the body to play both. The Patriots really need to get a young pass rusher, especially with this being a passing league. If Carter comes back I think he would be an excellent mentor to him.

Here is a video of all the snaps he played in one game, against Northwestern.This is not a highlight film, but gives you a better idea how he does throughout a whole game.
No. 85 DE Whitney Mercilus Illinois vs Northwestern 2011 - YouTube

Celticboy04

Last edited:
From the article:

Mercilus could be an ideal 5-technique DE but may not be an every down player just yet.

Terrible analysis.

Last edited:
I've got to say that it's a pretty bad draft for the Pats.

Fletcher Cox seems like a guy who could step in a RDE for the Pats. Something they've needed since they traded Richard Seymour. You shore up the D-line and that makes the OLB play that much better.

Whitney would have to add 30 lbs to be a 5-tech for the Pats. That's not happening. He'd be an OLB for them, not a DE.

Dennard has fallen on many people's boards out of the 1st and is teetering with the potential to fall out of the 2nd. There will be a lot of focus on him in terms of his hip flexibility, his technique in his backpedal, and the other position drills.

As for Cincy going with a center over a WR when they have Simpson and Caldwell as UFA doesn't make sense. Especially since Cook has started every game the last 3 years.

Most of the other comments seem straight forward.

Last edited:
No chance BB uses both first rounders. At least one of them will be traded for a first rounder next year + a couple of lower round picks.

If Fleener fell to 32 would the Patriots have a look?

I've got to say that it's a pretty bad draft for the Pats.

Fletcher Cox seems like a guy who could step in a RDE for the Pats. Something they've needed since they traded Richard Seymour. You shore up the D-line and that makes the OLB play that much better.

Whitney would have to add 30 lbs to be a 5-tech for the Pats. That's not happening. He'd be an OLB for them, not a DE.

Dennard has fallen on many people's boards out of the 1st and is teetering with the potential to fall out of the 2nd. There will be a lot of focus on him in terms of his hip flexibility, his technique in his backpedal, and the other position drills.

As for Cincy going with a center over a WR when they have Simpson and Caldwell as UFA doesn't make sense. Especially since Cook has started every game the last 3 years.

Most of the other comments seem straight forward.

They're not going to pick Fletcher Cox. He's too similar to Cameron Jordan who the patriots passed on twice last year.

They're not going to pick Fletcher Cox. He's too similar to Cameron Jordan who the patriots passed on twice last year.

*sigh* What you fail to acknowledge is that last year, the Pats felt they had Mike Wright and Myron Pryor coming back off injury. They know that, this year, Mike Wright isn't likely to walk through that door. Also, the priorities were different last year. Not to mention that Cameron Jordan and Fletcher Cox really aren't that similar. So, saying that because they passed on one they will pass on the other is ridiculous.

*sigh* What you fail to acknowledge is that last year, the Pats felt they had Mike Wright and Myron Pryor coming back off injury. They know that, this year, Mike Wright isn't likely to walk through that door. Also, the priorities were different last year. Not to mention that Cameron Jordan and Fletcher Cox really aren't that similar. So, saying that because they passed on one they will pass on the other is ridiculous.

Patriots didn't think that highly of pryor and Wright, get a clue.

Mercilus is a guy I can't get a feel for. He doesn't rush the passer like most ends. Most guys have a go to move whether it be with a power bull or speed rush and later counter off of it. Mercilus seems to literally wing it every snap and leaves me puzzled on how he made so many sacks. I am also in the camp that thinks he should fatten up to get more strength and become strictly a de and end any talk of dropping into coverage. Fwiw, I don't think he is on BB's radar.

Now onto Dennard. I noticed him a year ago when I was scouting amukamara. I actually like him but not in the first round. The guy reminds me of our very own kyle arrington, just a little more physical. I actually think he is too physical. I'm calling it now. This dude is going to get so many illegal contacts thrown his way that's not even funny.

No chance BB uses both first rounders. At least one of them will be traded for a first rounder next year + a couple of lower round picks.

Nope. We're going to be stuck with our first rounders this year. The reason is Cleveland and Cincy both have two firsts and they are much higher than ours. It's likely we won't have any suitors for us to pull a good deal. I think the best deal we can get for one of our firsts this year is a swap of one of our 1sts for someone elses 2nd this year + their 2nd next year.

Please tell me what is so similar between Cox and Jordan. I see one as a 3-4 DE and the other as 4-3 DE.

Our biggest need is not WR, our defense needs so much more help than our offense. If it weren't for aaron rodgers last season, brady would have broken the all time passing record, yet you are suggesting we need to spend a first round pick on a second tier wide out? If we could get floyd at 27 I would be all for it, but he will be long gone, other than floyd or blackmon, there are no other receivers I really want in the first round.

Please show me where I said our biggest need is WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back