PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Damar Hamlin Updates

I watched a coworker die. I saw his eyes roll over while he was looking right at me. Still haunts me after 15 years. It’s was an awful experience for all of us who were there.

He came to me in my dreams a few years later and told me he was ok. I don’t believe in the afterlife but that was the most real thing I’ve ever experienced on

When my niece died from an asthma attack several years ago, the paramedics asked my sister to pull her car over and perform CPR until they could arrive. She didn’t know what to do. I think if everyone could take a class to learn updated CPR guidelines (I took one in college) it would be such a good thing. I don’t know if it would helped but I’ll always wonder.

Something I heard repeated from a few callers on the radio today, and of course you can find as many as you want on Twitter, is this absolutely baffling and downright offensive line of "if any normal person working a 9-5 had to see something like this we'd have to just go on with work" basically saying without saying that they wanted their foot ball to continue damn the man's health. And i'm like...what in the F.UCK are you talking about? Seriously, in the United States in the year 2022 what line of work that isn't some shady under the table crap can you be in where at work a coworker dies in some traumatic way and its expected you just keep working? I don't care if its in construction, IT, retail, working at a bank, digging freaking ditches on the side of a road, whatever. There are entire procedural playbooks that must be followed and I guran freaking tee you that work is stopped right at the start. Maybe depending on what the circumstances are you might be expeced to be back in a day, or two, i don't know. But don't tell me your smug selfish ass truly thinks the body would just be shoveled off and youd be told to keep working. If for literally no other reason than to cover their ass the company will need the lawyers and police in there asap to determine all sorts of legality and liability issues.

Something I heard repeated from a few callers on the radio today, and of course you can find as many as you want on Twitter, is this absolutely baffling and downright offensive line of "if any normal person working a 9-5 had to see something like this we'd have to just go on with work" basically saying without saying that they wanted their foot ball to continue damn the man's health. And i'm like...what in the F.UCK are you talking about? Seriously, in the United States in the year 2022 what line of work that isn't some shady under the table crap can you be in where at work a coworker dies in some traumatic way and its expected you just keep working? I don't care if its in construction, IT, retail, working at a bank, digging freaking ditches on the side of a road, whatever. There are entire procedural playbooks that must be followed and I guran freaking tee you that work is stopped right at the start. Maybe depending on what the circumstances are you might be expeced to be back in a day, or two, i don't know. But don't tell me your smug selfish ass truly thinks the body would just be shoveled off and youd be told to keep working. If for literally no other reason than to cover their ass the company will need the lawyers and police in there asap to determine all sorts of legality and liability issues.
People are also disregarding the optics of it as well, this is supposed to be entertainment with millions of viewers watching. Once it turns into a real world, near death experience with players tearing up, ambulances and paramedics it ceases to be entertaining and becomes quite tragic. No one including most viewers wanted that to continue last night.

This horrible incident will only accelerate parents not wanting their children to play football. But I think injuries are even more prevalent in soccer.

My last school in Michigan was in the Class B state championship in 1980. Now the same team can barely field enough players to compete.

Is there a future in football?

People are also disregarding the optics of it as well, this is supposed to be entertainment with millions of viewers watching. Once it turns into a real world, near death experience with players tearing up, ambulances and paramedics it ceases to be entertaining and becomes quite tragic. No one including most viewers wanted that to continue last night.
Technically, Hamlin died right there on the field.

His heart stopped and no breathing. Luck and God were on his side. What if this happened at Bills practice without a group of medical staff waiting on the sidelines and a world renown cardiac hospital 2 minutes away?

When my niece died from an asthma attack several years ago, the paramedics asked my sister to pull her car over and perform CPR until they could arrive. She didn’t know what to do. I think if everyone could take a class to learn updated CPR guidelines (I took one in college) it would be such a good thing. I don’t know if it would helped but I’ll always wonder.
Sorry for your loss. I second this. My company makes it compulsory to keep up your CPR certification and brings someone in for trainings every year. I wish more companies would invest in something like that.

I work at a 24 hour care facility for developmentally disabled adults. We had a food service person suffer a heart attack in her car while on break and not survive it. Nobody got to go home. Nobody got time off. When you're responsible for the care of others life has to go on.
About 6 months ago I walked into my local convenience store and heard someone say "Is he ok?" I saw one of the employees crumpled on the floor and knew I had to do CPR. It seemed like a 1/2 an hour before EMTs showed up. He didn't survive, but I knew that all along anyway. Do you think the store employees got to go home? Nope. Life has to go on. It sucks, but that's reality.

I work at a 24 hour care facility for developmentally disabled adults. We had a food service person suffer a heart attack in her car while on break and not survive it. Nobody got to go home. Nobody got time off. When you're responsible for the care of others life has to go on.
About 6 months ago I walked into my local convenience store and heard someone say "Is he ok?" I saw one of the employees crumpled on the floor and knew I had to do CPR. It seemed like a 1/2 an hour before EMTs showed up. He didn't survive, but I knew that all along anyway. Do you think the store employees got to go home? Nope. Life has to go on. It sucks, but that's reality.
Actually in at least one case I know of a Target did close because an employee died of a medical event at work back in September

A Target store in the Twin Cities closed early on Friday after an employee experienced a medical emergency, and later died.

Are you comparing these situations with a football game?

Technically, Hamlin died right there on the field.

His heart stopped and no breathing. Luck and God were on his side. What if this happened at Bills practice without a group of medical staff waiting on the sidelines and a world renown cardiac hospital 2 minutes away?
I am quite sure there are AEDs on every NFL practice field with trained personnel present. Even a fair number of high schools have that now

Are you comparing these situations with a football game?
No, I'm comparing it to the circumstances listed in the person's post I quoted. Although, I bet if you asked Demar Hamlin, he'd want everyone in the NFL to keep playing on without him.

No, I'm comparing it to the circumstances listed in the person's post I quoted. Although, I bet if you asked Demar Hamlin, he'd want everyone in the NFL to keep playing on without him.

Sadly, for most people, continuity of their football entertainment is vastly more important than continuity of care in a 24 hour care facility for developmentally disabled adults. That is wrong, but the NFL is multi-billion dollar entertainment for viewers while being multi-billion dollar livelihood for players, coaches and staff (it's typically NOT livelihood for owners). When the consequence of play is serious injury or death for players, that juxtaposition is discomfiting and/or shocking for everyone. Hence the need for a halt to play.

$1000 on the table!!

Ok. I don't doubt this. But I feel that you must appreciate that in a line of work where the JOB itself is based entirely around handling the literal Life and Death status of other people that yes, death kind of has to be worked around. Not to make a 1 to 1 comparison but its certainly a thing you must handle while in the military for instance. But that is a small minority of all the jobs there are. 99% of people wouldn't be expected to push through.

This horrible incident will only accelerate parents not wanting their children to play football. But I think injuries are even more prevalent in soccer.

The particular diagnosis being so hastily advanced, commotio cordis, in sports is usually a baseball or hockey injury among younger players and is very rare in American Football.

And of course it's a good thing we're not allowed to talk about myocarditis.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back