PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dad asks son to hold beer, kicked out of Arizona Cardinals game

I'd wager a week's salary that the job description of these agents has nothing to do with making judgment calls, that it is all about taking quick action on certain observations. There's no way a liability insurance company is going to underwrite this company if their employees are charged with making decisions about which adult is harmlessly handing alcohol to a minor, and which ones aren't. There is so much room in there for individual bias and bigotry to enter into those decisions you can drive a truck through it.

And this is Arizona...watch the pattern unfold of citizens who look a certain way not getting busted, and those who look another way getting busted, for the same behaviors, because a few of these undercover guys are too macho to do the self reflection required to recognize and overcome their own biases.

But I love the posts about the real crime being about Cardinal football.

I am a manager at a liquor store. And with the state laws in Mass aminor holding alcohol even it is with a parent who us asking for them to hold it. I make the minor hand it immediately to the parent or place it down. The minor can't carry it out not push the carriage out. Also state laws in MA say anyone in a party and in a car must be id'ed. And if one doesn't have an id sale is not to be made. Blame the way the laws are written and enforced by state officials and not the person who is dealing with customer.

This thread seems to consider the Dad's story to be the gospel truth. So does the story linked.

There's ALWAYS another side.

He could well have had his own beer and one for his son, and told the security guys to Eff off when they confronted him. In my experiences of going to pro sporting events, that seems about 100X more likely than the saintly Dad's version.

It's like when you put on a police uniform/security personnel, you forgo the use of common sense. So many incidents like this could easily be avoided if said person of authority simply use some common sense.

************, this country is going down the drain. :rolleyes:

drinking_beer_like_a_boss.gif

impressive. He would beat me

impressive. He would beat me

He just simply opened his throat. You can't even see his Adam's Apple moving. I knew a kid that could do that. Needless to say he currently has an alcohol problem.

He just simply opened his throat. You can't even see his Adam's Apple moving. I knew a kid that could do that. Needless to say he currently has an alcohol problem.

Knew a girl who could do that. Needless to say, I dated her for as long as I could :)

1. In Pennsylvania one time at a beer store. Had my 18 year old son with me and my brother in law. Grabbed two 18 packs and had my son help me carry one of them to the counter. Tiny little place 20' x 40' or so. He set it on the counter and I went to pay for it. They asked him for his ID and when he said he was 18 they immediately kicked him out of the store and berated me.

2. I was in a little convenience store in Maine, I bought an 18 pack and 2 of my sons were with me, 19 year old, and 17 year old. Clerk wouldn't sell the beer to me because my kids weren't 21. Finally she got the manager who let me buy it.

3. My buddy and his wife were in Walmart, he was 43 and she was 41 at the time. They had a cart of groceries and in it 2 bottles of wine. Clerk asked him for his ID which he had, then asked his wife for her ID. She had left her pocketbook in the car. Clerk refused to sell it to him because she didn't have her id. They even called over a manager and the manager refused to sell it to them also.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

I joined the Army from Maine and my first duty station was in San Antonio, TX. One day in late November or early December, I got home from work changed into shorts, a t-shirt and sandles. Went to the local grocery store to buy some beer, threw it on the conveyer belt and the young clerk said she could not sell me the beer because she believed I was intoxicated.

I thought she was kidding, but it was soon apparent that she was serious. I asked her what made her believe I was intoxicated and that I hadn't had a sip of beer yet and she said "I just finished the TABC course and one indicator of intoxication is being immune to cold weather and it is freezing outside, and no person would wear summer clothes in this weather". I laughed and informed her that 65 degrees is summer weather where I come from in Maine. Showed her my ID and she had no clue where Maine was, finally a manager came over, shook his head, rung me up and told me to have nice day.

Same grocery store was selling "Main" Lobster, told the seafood dude that Maine had an E at the end. He started to argue, so I pulled my license out and asked him what was more likely that he misspelled Maine or the state of Maine did on their license? The next time I went into the store there was an "e" at the end of "Main" written in magic marker. :D

I joined the Army from Maine and my first duty station was in San Antonio, TX. One day in late November or early December, I got home from work changed into shorts, a t-shirt and sandles. Went to the local grocery store to buy some beer, threw it on the conveyer belt and the young clerk said she could not sell me the beer because she believed I was intoxicated.

I thought she was kidding, but it was soon apparent that she was serious. I asked her what made her believe I was intoxicated and that I hadn't had a sip of beer yet and she said "I just finished the TABC course and one indicator of intoxication is being immune to cold weather and it is freezing outside, and no person would wear summer clothes in this weather". I laughed and informed her that 65 degrees is summer weather where I come from in Maine. Showed her my ID and she had no clue where Maine was, finally a manager came over, shook his head, rung me up and told me to have nice day.

Same grocery store was selling "Main" Lobster, told the seafood dude that Maine had an E at the end. He started to argue, so I pulled my license out and asked him what was more likely that he misspelled Maine or the state of Maine did on their license? The next time I went into the store there was an "e" at the end of "Main" written in magic marker. :D

That's a pretty incredible story. You're a patient guy - I would have lost it :ugh:

That's hilarious.

That's a pretty incredible story. You're a patient guy - I would have lost it :ugh:

Great grocery store, best grocery chain I have ever shopped in, called H.E.B. just a few knuckle heads. But when you grow up / live in a place where it doesn't drop below 90 degrees during the day from May to October, and it is regularly over 100 in the summer, 65 is cold. Get a lot of weird looks in the "winter" wearing shorts when other folks are wearing thick winter coats.

They close the highway if it gets ice on it. Great weather from November to April...May to Oct not so much. I almost threw something at my TV one day when the weather guy said it was going to be cooling off this week, highs will be in the mid 90's.

Great grocery store, best grocery chain I have ever shopped in, called H.E.B. just a few knuckle heads. But when you grow up / live in a place where it doesn't drop below 90 degrees during the day from May to October, and it is regularly over 100 in the summer, 65 is cold. Get a lot of weird looks in the "winter" wearing shorts when other folks are wearing thick winter coats.

They close the highway if it gets ice on it. Great weather from November to April...May to Oct not so much. I almost threw something at my TV one day when the weather guy said it was going to be cooling off this week, highs will be in the mid 90's.

Hehe. I ran into a number of guys like you when I was growing up on base down in Georgia. Some of them had been in stationed in Alaska or Korea for a year or more. Anything above 50 was "shorts and tees weather" for them.

Hehe. I ran into a number of guys like you when I was growing up on base down in Georgia. Some of them had been in stationed in Alaska or Korea for a year or more. Anything above 50 was "shorts and tees weather" for them.

I didn't own a jacket in San Antonio and hardly ever wore jeans. Great town though.... a lot of fun.

LOL, when we used to visit my in-laws in FL in Feb. we couldn't wait to throw on shorts and tees and go down to the beach. I would be at the playground with my kids and other people would have on winter jackets. Everyone would come over and say, "you're from up north, aren't you?"

I was in Sicily once in November and it was 85 degrees. Everyone was wearing those puffy winter coats. There was also an old guy on the bus walking around smushing bees with his thumb, but that's another story.

There must be a lot of drunk people around Buffalo. I always see people wearing shorts in 30 degree weather. Then again, caught a conversation yesterday in the street. "Can you believe how hot it's going to be today? It's going all the way up to 85?"

Great story! I deliberately walk around FL in the winter 50 something degree days in shorts and T (but not for too long :) ) just to get reactions. See folks wearing down winter jackets at 55

Beer at NFL stadium prices? I mean, I love my kid -- but not THAT much. ;)

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back