PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

D Mac #3 ranked Safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you sir.

I think both Sherm and Kam would be good players elsewhere, but they would need to fit into the system. Not the other way around. With Earl you could plug him in anywhere and have a top tier elite S on any team. I think it's been proven that Sherm is a really good player on an elite defense. Same with Kam. Neither could fit into all schemes. And both have shown their weakness with certain types of players and negitives with some opposing teams. Which isn't the worst thing but just speaks to Earl's skill set and versatility as a player. I think Devin is the same type of S where you can put him on any team and he would excell.

And the top 100 players list on the NFLN needs to not be mentioned ever again. Look into how they actually choose the players and go about it. It's the most foolish list out there. And players haven't a clue about grading other players and even understanding other players duties or even the rules of the game. This has been proven time and again across all sports. Most players are dumb. Just one reason why their broke 5 years after playing and making tens of millions of dollars. Again PFF isn't the end all, be all and I have issues with some of their stuff. Including player grading etc but I would take their list 100 times over.

I agree on the top 100 list but the only proper use of anything from PFF is as toilet paper. If they figure out a way to run toilet paper through a printer then PFF may have a use.

Here's a good exercise: think of a big-name FA from the Patriots have signed away from another team to a multiyear, big-$$ contract as his FIRST Patriots contract, who turned out to be worth the money.
Rodney Harrison.

I can't speak for convertedpats fan, but personally, while I wouldn't say "never," I much prefer the one-year tryout first.

There's a reason that this team is much more inclined to open the pocketbooks to RE-sign their own players after their rookie contracts -- Mayo, Gronkowski, Wilfork, etc. etc. -- rather than bring in big names from other teams. You need to see the guy day by day, fitting with your coaches, players and schemes.

Here's a good exercise: think of a big-name FA from the Patriots have signed away from another team to a multiyear, big-$$ contract as his FIRST Patriots contract, who turned out to be worth the money.
Vrabel.

These are the biggest UFA signings I can recall in the Belichick era.
- Danny Amendola- TBD
- Adalius Thomas- released after 2 seasons
- Roosevelt Colvin- released after 4 seasons
- Donta Stallworth- team declined to pick up second year of his deal, released after 1 season

To a lesser level –
- Brandon Lloyd- released after 1 season
- Jonathan Fanene- released in preseason
- Shawn Springs- released after 1 season

- Danny Amendola- TBD
- Donta Stallworth- team declined to pick up second year of his deal, released after 1 season

To a lesser level –

That's a rough list.....

Even though Thomas went out with a big mouth and a bang, he was a huge part to the 2007 defense and played at a very high level and he was a bright spot in the Super Bowl as well. Obviously he only had one good season, but damn it was a good one

That's a rough list.....

Even though Thomas went out with a big mouth and a bang, he was a huge part to the 2007 defense and played at a very high level and he was a bright spot in the Super Bowl as well. Obviously he only had one good season, but damn it was a good one
If you look around the NFL most times, a player leaves a team and signs a big contract it fails to work out. The reason being the bigger contracts are generally the second contract, and if a team lets, a player walk in the prime of his career there is likely a reason behind it. In this NFL with all the tag options if a team wants to keep a player they can do so.

- Danny Amendola- TBD

To a lesser level –
Obviously your young and inexperienced-
-Antwoine Smith
-Ted Washington
-Bryan Cox
-Roman Phifer
-Mike Vrabel
-Christian Fauria
-Terrell Buckley
-Otis Smith
-Bobby Hamilton
-Anthony Pleasent
-Larry Izzo
-Lonnie Paxton (Yeah, the long snapper for 9 years, 141 games)
-Don Davis
-Randell Gay
-Earthwind Moreland
-Heath Evans
-Doug Flutie
-Tim Dwight
-****in' Junior Seau? Forget him? Are you ****tin' me?

Point is your list is lacking, and I can name a bunch more. Get with the program man. BB is a much better GM than we give him credit for. Revis and Browner came here for a reason. A ring, just like all the other guys I mentioned came here for.

I think Revis will be the defensive equivalent of Moss. Another ring is within our grasp. Top it off with a pissed off "no longer top 5 Brady" and the formula is looking real good. I think another round of "eff you NFL" is in order. Look out *****es. Here we come again.

-Antwoine Smith
-Ted Washington
-Bryan Cox
-Roman Phifer
-Mike Vrabel
-Christian Fauria
-Terrell Buckley
-Otis Smith
-Bobby Hamilton
-Anthony Pleasent
-Larry Izzo
-Don Davis
-Randell Gay
-Earthwind Moreland
-Heath Evans
-Doug Flutie
-Tim Dwight
-****in' Junior Seau? Forget him? Are you ****tin' me?

Point is your list is lacking, and I can name a bunch more. Get with the program man. BB is a much better GM than we give him credit for. Revis and Browner came here for a reason. A ring, just like all the other guys I mentioned came here for.

I think Revis will be the defensive equivalent of Moss. Another ring is within our grasp. Top it off with a pissed off "no longer top 5 Brady" and the formula is looking real good. I think another round of "eff you NFL" is in order. Look out *****es. Here we come again.
The question was big name free agents who signed big money long term deals as their first contract with the Patriots. I named the ones that fell into that category. I didn't even speak to my view of the signing I just provided the names and how long they were here.

- Danny Amendola- TBD

To a lesser level –

Thomas was in NE from 2007-2009, so it's a 3 season situation
Colvin was injured, but was with the team for 5+ seasons
Stallworth's deal was a 1 year 'prove it' deal, and most people didn't consider that a top end signing
Springs was playing out the string

Good-to-great signings, for what they were:

Traylor
Bodden (The re-signing is where that went off the rails)
Seau
Waters
Anderson
Andre Carter, first time

The question was big name free agents who signed big money long term deals as their first contract with the Patriots. I named the ones that fell into that category. I didn't even speak to my view of the signing I just provided the names and how long they were here.
I understand that B6. It's the under the radar not over the top signings that make up a championship team. That's all I'm trying to express. It's not a personal attack. I just re-read it and I guess you could veiw it that way.

That being said I just want you to know I think your an idiot and don't know WTF you're talking about. :D-and no, I'm not related to AndyJohnson:) Just goofin' on ya.:p

Rodney was cut by the chargers and many thought he was done because of his groin. Patriots did not give him that much money.

Rodney is a first ballot hof type player, imo.

Thomas was in NE from 2007-2009, so it's a 3 season situation
Colvin was injured, but was with the team for 5+ seasons
Stallworth's deal was a 1 year 'prove it' deal, and most people didn't consider that a top end signing
Springs was playing out the string

Good-to-great signings, for what they were:

Traylor
Bodden (The re-signing is where that went off the rails)
Seau
Waters
Anderson
Andre Carter, first time
There were many outstanding under the radar signings in the Belichick era, I was just responding to the poster that asked for big money long term signings. Those were the most recent ones that came to mind.

As I said in a prior post, I think in most cases when a player signs for big money and long term with a different team it fails to reach expectations. The salary cap, franchise and transition tags, and the ability to negotiate long terms deals 2 years prior to UFA allows teams ample opportunity to retain their players. In most cases, the big contracts go to players in their second contract, if a team does not want to retain a player in his prime it says something about the player a lot of times, either they have injury concerns or they are just not as good as they appear from a far.

Rodney was cut by the chargers and many thought he was done because of his groin. Patriots did not give him that much money.

Rodney is a first ballot hof type player, imo.
I had a groin issue once, but I had it examined by professionals Candy and Trixie and they cured me. Thank God it wasn't a yeast infection!o_O

Rodney Harrison.

Bingo. I believe that was the last significant example, over a decade ago.

To be fair, Colvin might well have hit the mark if it weren't for his horrific injury. But as Brady6 rounded up, the others who have signed for big $$ were cut before the end of their deals.

They've certainly picked up other veterans who have blossomed here, but most were either acquired on a one-year-tryout deal or as undervalued commodity (Vrabel and Ninkovich are prime examples of the latter).

-Randell Gay
Point is your list is lacking, and I can name a bunch more. Get with the program man.

Psst...your trash talk would have impressed more if you'd known that Paxton and Gay both started their careers with Your New England Patriots. "Get with the program, man." ;)

More to the point, the inclusion of Earthwind Moreland suggests that you must have missed the "big-name, multiyear, big-money deal" criteria. On the plus side, though, you've given me an excuse to type Earthwind Moreland, which is always welcome.

I don't care what his ranking is because I believe he is on the short list of best NFL safeties. He should have been in the Pro Bowl last season, and though I've always said it does not mean anything to me personally, it is always talked about when adding up accolades. He will get extended to a nice contract. It's times like this that I remember Patriots All Access when he was still a corner and struggling. BB said something along the lines of he wouldn't trade McCourty for anyone else and that he still believed in McCourty even though people outside of the locker room were blasting him in his sophomore season. That's why people love playing for Bill.

And although I listed them, Ocho and Hainesworth were technically trades but they were two disasters nonetheless

FA signing that was way way under the radar. For one game and one game only Hank Poteat in the AFC Championship game vs Steelers he played out of his mind.

There were many outstanding under the radar signings in the Belichick era, I was just responding to the poster that asked for big money long term signings. Those were the most recent ones that came to mind.

As I said in a prior post, I think in most cases when a player signs for big money and long term with a different team it fails to reach expectations. The salary cap, franchise and transition tags, and the ability to negotiate long terms deals 2 years prior to UFA allows teams ample opportunity to retain their players. In most cases, the big contracts go to players in their second contract, if a team does not want to retain a player in his prime it says something about the player a lot of times, either they have injury concerns or they are just not as good as they appear from a far.

I understand your position. I was correcting a couple of your mistakes (Colvin and Thomas in particular) and noting some successful F.A.s. BB's biggest hits in the veteran aquisition department have been with trades (Washington, Moss, Dillon, Welker).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST