PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cutdown Day: PATS DISCUSSION thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, and many others here, saw them during camp. Mallett still has too slow a release, is still too inaccurate and still makes too many poor decisions for this style of offense.

Also, it's almost universal among the media (Including ex-players like Zolak) that Mallett was the #3 QB in terms of his play, including camp.

Is it possible we're all wrong? Sure. We might have been wrong about the safety position last year, too. But we weren't.

As for the 11 years ago thing, I'll leave that to others to deal with.

We are wrong about things, we are right about things.
Personally, neither of these QBs working with the flotsam and jetsom impressed me much.
The point about 11 years was only to illustrate how difficult it is to know what the right decision is in a backup QB you've seen so little of.
2008 could have been used instead if the point was what people like Zolak are saying.
In the endthe coaching staff either decided that Mallett is more ready to build a game plan around if necessary, or that the difference was so slight that the length of the remaining contract was a valid tipping point.
Its not as if Brian Hoyer is Steve Young waiting for his chance.

I don't deny what you're saying. I think the issue isn't that Mallett's still here. The issue is that Mallett's being placed as the QB2 and Hoyer released. If they'd kept all 3 and had Mallett as the QB3, I doubt there'd be much of an issue.

Yeah, I too would have felt more comfortable with Hoyer as our #2, and was surprised that he was released.

With this team you just never know what they have in plan for the bigger picture.

So at about 5 o'clock, the roster looks like this at 69

QB (2) Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett
RB (6) Stevan Ridley, Brandon Bolden, Danny Woodhead, Jeff Demps, Shane Vereen, Eric Kettani
WR (7) Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Julian Edelman, Matthew Slater, Jeremy Ebert, Jesse Holley, Kerry Taylor
TE (6) Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Daniel Fells, Visanthe Shiancoe, Alex Silvestro, Tyler Urban
C (3) Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell, Nick McDonald
G (6) Logan Mankins, Brian Waters, Donald Thomas, Jeremiah Warren, Derek Dennis, Dustin Waldron
T (5) Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer, Marcus Cannon, Mat Kopa, Darrion Weems
DE (5) Chandler Jones, Jermaine Cunningham, Rob Ninkovich, Jake Bequette, Trevor Scott
DT (7) Vince Wilfork, Kyle Love, Ron Brace, Brandon Deaderick, Justin Francis, Marcus Forston, Marcus Harrison
ILB(8) Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Donta Hightower, Bobby Carpenter, Jeff Tarpinian, Niko Koutouvides, Mike Rivera, Tracy White
OLB(0)
CB (6) Devin McCourty, Ras-I Dowling, Kyle Arrington, Alfonzo Dennard, Sterling Moore, Marquice Cole
SS (2) Patrick Chung, Nate Ebner
FS (3) Steve Gregory, Tavon Wilson, Malcolm Williams
ST (3) Stephen Gostkowski, Danny Aiken, Zoltan Mesko

Total players: 69
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2012

Does everyone feel really comfortable with Cannon in there right now? I guess BB saw enough good to outweigh the bad....but IMHO which means Jackcrap....He was slow and horribly overmatched often. Solder had a horrible preseason but hopefully he will get back to the form he displayed last season. Gruden (Think it was Gruden) thinks Solder will be All Pro someday.....

I think Bill canned Hoyer so he can bring Chad Shatteredshoulderton in to be the back up "game manager"....
inv.gif

Last edited:
I went to only one practice this year (I usually go to more). During that practice Mallett was far better than Hoyer. Not even close. However, nothing was even mentioned about it in the usual sources the next day. Only that Mallett and Hoyer were each picked off. (Mallett's hit Urban in the hands in it popped to Ebner, Hoyer's was a bad pick 6)

Generally, i'm not into conspiracy theories, but I do get the feeling some local media members really want Mallett to fail. In truth, he probably isn't a very likable guy, especially compared to boy next door, over achiever Hoyer.. I think this spills into the analysis of his on-field performance.

Again, small sample size, but Mallett seems to drive people to extremes...

Being as objective as possible, I'd say Mallett and Hoyer looked pretty equal to me. Neither really stood out positively, so I think they just went with the one they thought provided them the best performance/value looking forward. JMO.

I also agree with Deus that Mallet didn't look too hot, but I suppose it would all depend on what they wanted to see in the progression from a labor disputed rookie year to this summer.

Mallett: 1st training camp. Pre-season games with no 1st team weapons. Pre-season games with vanilla play calling. It is safe to assume that the coaches have seen enough in practices to deem him no worse than Hoyer.

The pre-season matters for evaluation by the coaches. The pre-season games, not so much, at least by the fans.

How good or not Mallett has looked is impossible for us to judge by a couple of pre-season games. Hell, if we are going to do that, then I worry about Brady and the entire offense too!

Bottom line: Mallett may be the drizzling ****s. But to say he has regressed or not progressed because of what we have seen in a couple of exhibition games with the conditions I outlined above? Kneejerk.

Last edited:
who are the rest of the cuts?

taylor
holley
urban
shiancoe
harrison
forston
rivera
white
williams
waldron
koutouvides
???????
7 0r 8 depending or waters

Last edited:
Does everyone feel really comfortable with Cannon in there right now? I guess BB saw enough good to outweigh the bad....but IMHO which means Jackcrap....He was slow and horribly overmatched often. Solder had a horrible preseason but hopefully he will get back to the form he displayed last season. Gruden (Think it was Gruden) thinks Solder will be All Pro someday.....

Gruden thinks every player is on the cusp of greatness.

It is possible that the Branch cut will be handled as the Warren cut was last year, Why do it in the first place? Well they have cap room so that isn't it.

Here is an alternate theory, Branch isn't critical to the first game everyone is health and we will be running a 2TE set. So bring him back after game 1, also have Waters report on Tue. (if he doesn't count against the 53 till he reports). This give BB 2 roster spots to work with. If there is a guy he wants to get to the PS who would be snapped up in the first couple of FA period days, 'stash' them on the 53 then when Waters and Branch are brought in cut them and of to the PS.

No proof just a Machiavellian Belicheckian bit of roster manipulation.

The next few days will be interesting then onto the Titans.

As for the 11 years ago thing, I'll leave that to others to deal with.

Brady in the preseason in 2001 lit it up. I remember after Bledsoe was done for the night in a preseason game Ron Jaworski was rambling on how great Bledsoe was when his booth partner(can't remember who he was) interrupted him to comment on how effectively Brady was moving the offense down the field. At that time Damon Huard was the number 2. Brady owned the preseason in 01. Mallett? As yet I haven't seen the "it' that I immediately recognized the first time I saw Brady in that preseason game.

Last edited:
lol Demps is on IR? I didn't even get to see him play. He had one run in a highlight, that's basically all I've seen.

Last edited:
It is possible that the Branch cut will be handled as the Warren cut was last year, Why do it in the first place? Well they have cap room so that isn't it.

Here is an alternate theory, Branch isn't critical to the first game everyone is health and we will be running a 2TE set. So bring him back after game 1, also have Waters report on Tue. (if he doesn't count against the 53 till he reports). This give BB 2 roster spots to work with. If there is a guy he wants to get to the PS who would be snapped up in the first couple of FA period days, 'stash' them on the 53 then when Waters and Branch are brought in cut them and of to the PS.

No proof just a Machiavellian Belicheckian bit of roster manipulation.

The next few days will be interesting then onto the Titans.

I agree with you.

However, I think it will be Gaffney who is back.

Kinda expected Demps to go on IR. One less guy to throw to though.

Mallett: 1st training camp. Pre-season games with no 1st team weapons. Pre-season games with vanilla play calling. It is safe to assume that the coaches have seen enough in practices to deem him no worse than Hoyer.

The pre-season matters for evaluation by the coaches. The pre-season games, not so much, at least by the fans.

How good or not Mallett has looked is impossible for us to judge by a couple of pre-season games. Hell, if we are going to do that, then I worry about Brady and the entire offense too!

Bottom line: Mallett may be the drizzling ****s. But to say he has regressed or not progressed because of what we have seen in a couple of exhibition games with the conditions I outlined above? Kneejerk.

I seem to recall that in discussing Cassel in 2008 preseason, some people felt that BB wanted to see how well Cassel played within his assigned game plan, and didn't deviate. Matt Gutierrez for example, took it upon himself to try some things to try and make something happen, while BB wanted to see if the player was willing to do what he was told, even if he would suffer in the eyes of others.

Now maybe I'm "misremembering" and way off base, but that is just something I remember being discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes