PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cutdown Day: PATS DISCUSSION thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Or at least, this is a potential scenario. From what I understand, the Pats are on the hook for a few million dollars for Branch and Gaffney, had they kept them anyway. If they cut them and then re-sign them after week 2, they get a huge discount. Taylor and Holley will make peanuts, and it's probably not going to be difficult to cut them. So they keep these kids, give them a little experience, shadow roster Branch and/or Gaffney, and then bring Branch and/or Gaffney back after week two.

Gives the kids a little chance to play for real, gives Gaffney time to heal up, saves the team a little chunk of money.

Possible? Sure. Plausible? Eh......who knows.

It's possible unless they get signed by another team which might be a real possibility for Branch since he's not hurt. Might even be plausible for Gaffney to come back. I'm not sure that Taylor and Holley both survive, if we're going to go for a temporary wide receiver I'd look for them to find somebody with at least some experience over the weekend.

I just got home to see that Deion Branch was cut! What the flub is going on in NE right now? They just signed all of these WR's to cut them? I'm so sad to see Branch go.

Curran with an article about the QB situation, and he's not painting a pretty picture:

Mallett at backup means Pats are without a net

People should read it.
It appears as though the Pats braintrust didn't feel Hoyer was the guy either. With Mallett or Hoyer .... either way, the Pats are likely f'd if Brady goes down. Then again, many of us thought the same when Cassell took over so who knows?

Jeremy Ebert
Deion Branch
Jabar Gaffney
Donte Stallworth
Chad Ochocinco
Anthony Gonzalez

Collectively, they hate their coach! :eek:

LOL! :D

Pete Carroll would never do this.

Curran with an article about the QB situation, and he's not painting a pretty picture:

Mallett at backup means Pats are without a net

People should read it.

I'm not sure we needed Curran for this, Mallett doesn't look ready for pre-season never mind playing except for a random play or 2 in the regular season. I had kind of pictured Hoyer being the new Zolak, as a long term back-up but I guess that's not how it's done anymore. It doesn't seem that Mallett "fits" the schemes that have been our bread and butter, he looks best on deep throws and awkward on short passes in the slot. It's possible that he gets more time to see if maybe he'll ultimately be the replacement for Tom when that sad day arrives. Hopefully he'll be about 10 years older than he is now.

It appears as though the Pats braintrust didn't feel Hoyer was the guy either. With Mallett or Hoyer .... either way, the Pats are likely f'd if Brady goes down. Then again, many of us thought the same when Cassell took over so who knows?

Reading Currans article make me feel even better about cutting Hoyer. Belichick liked what Mallett was doing in practice last year and is confident he can handle the team should Brady go down. Also, Mallet was playing with 2nd and 3rd string players most of the pre season. I would like to see him with the first string offense. Curran, like most of the reporters doesn't have a clue on how to evaluate talent.

Last edited:

They are not winning a Super Bowl with Hoyer or Mallett. So whatever.

If the Pollard hit the fan, I'd rather see a season of Mallet thrown to the fire than a season of Hoyer mediocrity.

But as for the Mallet not outplaying Hoyer.....is this declaration based on a couple of pre-season games behind a backup OL, with WR who have (or will be) cut? Maybe the coaches see more from Mallett in practice? Maybe, Mallet with the starting OL and all of the offenses weapons would look better than he did in the preseason games?

They are not winning a Super Bowl with Hoyer or Mallett. So whatever.

If the Pollard hit the fan, I'd rather see a season of Mallet thrown to the fire than a season of Hoyer mediocrity.

But as for the Mallet not outplaying Hoyer.....is this declaration based on a couple of pre-season games behind a backup OL, with WR who have (or will be) cut? Maybe the coaches see more from Mallett in practice? Maybe, Mallet with the starting OL and all of the offenses weapons would look better than he did in the preseason games?

11 years ago, the choice of a backup QB seemed just as insignificant

Hoyer getting cut is a surprise but obviously BB knows that Mallett is ready to go....and in fairness...Mallett has YET to get a chance to play with ALL the starters and weapons in there. To Mr. Hoyer, you have been a great Patriot and I wish you the best of luck...I am sure you will only have a short time on the waiver wire.....Branch is a bit of a shocker now that Donte and Gaff are gone too.....thought he showed some stuff that I didn't even know he HAD at this stage of his career. Thanks to Deion as well...great Pat....The rest are not really surprising thus far....

starting to think Forston, Francis and Bolden are all going to make the final roster. 3 UDFA actually technically 4 if Demps is on too.

11 years ago, the choice of a backup QB seemed just as insignificant

I think we would all prefer not to find out if history can repeat itself or not though. Ultimately Mallet has potential to someday take over for Brady in 5 years I don't think they saw that in Hoyer and had to make the difficult decision.

WR Ebert cut now too, according to ESPN Boston.

No surprise there, he shouldn't have any trouble making the PS.

McNutt cut in Philly. Any interest? Practice squad perhaps?

...and that just about clears out the logjam at receiver...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News