PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cutdown Day: PATS DISCUSSION thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
McNutt cut in Philly. Any interest? Practice squad perhaps?

Is that the kid from Iowa?

I'm sure there will be something to put in a waiver claim or two on for sure, but as far as the WR position goes, I think that some are overreating to the "lack" of WR's, as they see it.

You've got to factor in the TE's as receiving options + we still have Llyod, Welker, and Edelman.

Not only that, I really think that one of Branch/Gaffney (probably Branch) will be back after the first game as depth.

New England Patriots 2012-13 NFL Season

Week 1 Offensive Starters

QB: Mallett
WR1: Holley
WR2: Taylor
TE1: Fells
TE2: Shiancoe
RB: Bolden

The FUTURE is NOW! :D

I guess Bill needs a challenge this season! :eek:

...and that just about clears out the logjam at receiver...

I would venture it a safe bet that Belichick utilized the aspect of having some great receiving options at the TE position to keep an extra player or two somewhere else.

That, and the fact that we'll probably end up bringing back Deion Branch after the first game for depth adds up to a non-worry issue in my opinion.

WR Ebert cut now too, according to ESPN Boston.

No surprise there, he shouldn't have any trouble making the PS.

I hope not....my sense is Ebert's a guy we'll be hearing about in future years, so I'm hoping it's as a Pat.

Hoyer getting cut is a surprise but obviously BB knows that Mallett is ready to go....and in fairness...Mallett has YET to get a chance to play with ALL the starters and weapons in there. To Mr. Hoyer, you have been a great Patriot and I wish you the best of luck...I am sure you will only have a short time on the waiver wire.....Branch is a bit of a shocker now that Donte and Gaff are gone too.....thought he showed some stuff that I didn't even know he HAD at this stage of his career. Thanks to Deion as well...great Pat....The rest are not really surprising thus far....
One or two of those guys will most likely be back, I would think branch and gaff

11 years ago, the choice of a backup QB seemed just as insignificant

11 years ago, the coaches had seen enough of Brady over one year to know they liked him.

The coaches have had 3+ years to see that Hoyer is not the second coming of Brady.

Mallett? Well, my earlier point that we don't know what the coaches have seen from Mallett in practice may have some validity.

I hope not....my sense is Ebert's a guy we'll be hearing about in future years, so I'm hoping it's as a Pat.

I think you may have misread my post.

I said that Ebert shouldn't have any problem making it to the PS.

I would like to see him here in the future also.

11 years ago, the coaches had seen enough of Brady over one year to know they liked him.

The coaches have had 3+ years to see that Hoyer is not the second coming of Brady.

Mallett? Well, my earlier point that we don't know what the coaches have seen from Mallett in practice may have some validity.

Mallett's sucked just a little less than he did last year.

New England Patriots 2012-13 NFL Season

Week 1 Offensive Starters

QB: Mallett
WR1: Holley
WR2: Taylor
TE1: Fells
TE2: Shiancoe
RB: Bolden

The FUTURE is NOW! :D

I guess Bill needs a challenge this season! :eek:

Sure... if every single one of our starters got hurt at the same time a week before the regular season started we'd be in for a bad year. But I don't see that happening. Settle down now. ;)

And Hoyer has sucked just as much IF we are only judging by a couple pre-season games. WE do not know what the coaches have seen in practice when each QB has had reps behind an NFL OL and with NFL receivers.

Perhaps the coaches have decided both are lost causes, so cut the older one? Or maybe they have seen something in him?

11 years ago we weren't all that impressed with what little we had seen from Brady in the pre-season. Apparently, the coaches liked what they saw in practices.

We do not know.

Guys (and Gals) ...lets step off the window ledge and stop the panic over the release of Brian Hoyer and the appointing of Ryan Mallett as backup QB. Unless something catastrophic happens to TFB, Mallett will get callouses on his hands from holding the clipboard all season. SHOULD he need to come into a game or take over god forbid for the season......Expect Josh McDaniels to "Cassel-ize" (Yes that is a new term originated by me) the offense so that Mallett has a low risk, conservative game plan to follow. Deep breaths people.....you are borrowing trouble for nothing.....

One or two of those guys will most likely be back, I would think branch and gaff

I think you are right my friend....BB knows what he is doing!!! (yeah that is an understatement!)

I think you may have misread my post.

I said that Ebert shouldn't have any problem making it to the PS.

I would like to see him here in the future also.

No, I just wrote my post incoherently. I meant to say I hope Ebert's not gone. Hopefully you're right he'll make it to the practice squad.

One thing I would keep in mind though Deus, is that last summer was pretty much wasted for a rookie QB in our system.

I would consider it nothing more than getting acclimated to the terminology and plays etc. I think a rookie QB for the NEP in a labor dispute year wouldn't have much of a chance to showcase anything. We'd have been extremely lucky if he came out blazing in his first go around.

It's a possibility that they viewed this year as somewhat of a rookie season part 2, and considering the complexity of the system he may not have looked quite as bad to them as he appeared to us.

I do agree with you that he didn't look 'good' by any means, but I think it may be somewhat hard to judge younger QB's in this system, sort of like Matt Cassel, just as an example.

They may have liked his progression from year one to two, they may have thought that there just wasn't enough of a gap between he and Hoyer this year, they may think that some of his problems can be corrected easier (like the sideline throws that could have been picked in your example).

Last edited:
And Hoyer has sucked just as much IF we are only judging by a couple pre-season games. WE do not know what the coaches have seen in practice when each QB has had reps behind an NFL OL and with NFL receivers.

Perhaps the coaches have decided both are lost causes, so cut the older one? Or maybe they have seen something in him?

11 years ago we weren't all that impressed with what little we had seen from Brady in the pre-season. Apparently, the coaches liked what they saw in practices.

We do not know.

I certainly agree with the 'we do not know' sentence. At the end of the day it's all just a bunch of speculation, as we really don't know enough of what they are looking for in a specific way (could be working on different things that appear to us as looking 'wrong') or what they are thinking when it comes to their roster decisions.

I also agree with Deus that Mallet didn't look too hot, but I suppose it would all depend on what they wanted to see in the progression from a labor disputed rookie year to this summer.

We do not know.

I, and many others here, saw them during camp. Mallett still has too slow a release, is still too inaccurate and still makes too many poor decisions for this style of offense.

Also, it's almost universal among the media (Including ex-players like Zolak) that Mallett was the #3 QB in terms of his play, including camp.

Is it possible we're all wrong? Sure. We might have been wrong about the safety position last year, too. But we weren't.

As for the 11 years ago thing, I'll leave that to others to deal with.

As of right now we (reportedly) have 6 WR's - Brandon Lloyd, Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Jeremy Ebert, Matthew Slater, Jesse Holley. Obviously this may change by the end of the day or by weeks 1-3 as some are suggesting. But we are not thin at WR if Bill thinks this is a better 6 than a 6 that includes Branch, Gaffney, and/or Stallworth. This is not the tail end of free agency where all the wr's are getting snarfed up and we're short on this position. Bill CUT these guys so obviously he likes what he has seen from the guys still here. Lets not forget it looks like we may be keeping more RB's/TE's than usual as well and looks like both those group's have some really good pass-catchers in them (aside from the obvious Gronknandez).

Has Slater taken ANY snaps in the preseason games this year? I am not trying to challenge your lineup here....I just haven't seen anything from slater from a WR standpoint since last year. Thx

One thing I would keep in mind though Deus, is that last summer was pretty much wasted for a rookie QB in our system.

I would consider it nothing more than getting acclimated to the terminology and plays etc. I think a rookie QB for the NEP in a labor dispute year wouldn't have much of a chance to showcase anything. We'd have been extremely lucky if he came out blazing in his first go around.

It's a possibility that they viewed this year as somewhat of a rookie season part 2, and considering the complexity of the system he may not have looked quite as bad to them as he appeared to us.

I do agree with you that he didn't look 'good' by any means, but I think it may be somewhat hard to judge younger QB's in this system, sort of like Matt Cassel, just as an example.

They may have liked his progression from year one to two, they may have thought that there just wasn't enough of a gap between he and Hoyer this year, they may think that some of his problems can be corrected easier (like the sideline throws that could have been picked in your example).

I don't deny what you're saying. I think the issue isn't that Mallett's still here. The issue is that Mallett's being placed as the QB2 and Hoyer released. If they'd kept all 3 and had Mallett as the QB3, I doubt there'd be much of an issue.

Also, for me personally, it's not even a question of whether Hoyer is Cassel 2.0. I don't think he is. For me, it's about winning a game or two where you need a QB to come in for a slightly injured Brady. If it's a repeat of 2008, with Brady lost for the year early on, I'm fine with Mallett coming in, because i don't think either QB is ready in a long term situation.

Last edited:
Are Belichick, Pioli and Dimitroff the only 3 2 who haven't publicly gotten to 53?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand