PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crowd noise at Gillette this Sunday vs Chicago Bears

Status
Not open for further replies.
With weather reports all week long saying to expect heavy rain throughout the game, plus it being a Thursday night, tons of people were trying to get rid of their tickets. Many either didn't come to the game or came very late. My row in the 100s has 18 seats and 10 were empty deep into the 1st quarter. The red seats were a joke. I remember taking a pic of those half way through the 2nd quarter. The game was 7-6 and there was zero rain. The red seats looked pretty much half empty. Also, since lots people were giving their tickets away, the quality of the crowd was poor too. Many people cared more about taking selfies with the field behind them than actually watching the game.

I did my part. The crowd was pathetic. Hopefully it's OK with you that I noticed.

I did as well...yet we are the ones who were the problem because we complained about it on here according to Tunes If you are going to a game..you should expect to stand up..cheer..and get loud. If not then maybe the couch is best suited for those people.

Here's the deal: I'm tired of people coming here and *****ing about the Gillette fan environment without context or bases of comparison. I have attended every single Gillette regular-season and playoff game since the place opened. I also have been to games in 17 other NFL stadiums. I know from experience that fan noise almost exclusively is a product of the building's layout, NOT the crowd. I've explained elsewhere in this thread how Gillette was designed compared to other stadiums. THAT is different. The FANS are not! Why folks here have come to believe that the makeup/demographics/enthusiasm of New England fans are somehow worse than fan bases in the 31 other league cities makes no sense. Check out St. Louis, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Carolina, Miami, etc., etc. -- teams with more enclosed stadiums whose fans are even "quieter" than ours. Are those also "wine and cheese" crowds full of people preoccupied with taking selfies?

I've been to Jets and Bills games when the team wasn't playing well and the place was a morgue (or, the crowd was "pathetic"). I've also been to Jets games when the stadium was more than half empty, the team rallied, and it STILL got loud because the building held noise.

So let's stop this constant carping and moaning about the fans in Gillette as if they're uniquely incompetent. Just do your part to support the team when you're there and perhaps it'll catch on with those around you.

yeah...and for more context...come sit next to ME and THEN try to tell anyone it's quiet at the game. I'll shred your eardrums like wet tissue paper. Of course, when I sit in Tunes' section it's always the way it's supposed to be. Last game I had seats 3 rows from the field at the 5 and it was bleaaahh....so in the 4th quarter I gave my seat to my buddy's daughter who had been up in the 300's and I went up to Tunes' section.The 4th quarter was non stop noise.

I go to a lot of games every year and I notice a lot more hardcore ,diehard Pats fans attending games these days than in even the recent past. It's been a couple of seasons since I had some nitwit tell me to sit down and keep quiet because she and Herb Dooshebagg wanted a nice quiet tea and crumpets experience. I've sat in expensive seats behind the Pats bench and listened to nitwits blab all game about their ****in' Gucci bags and their "special" whale watching trips off Nantucket, people who wouldn't know a freakin' first down from a velvet down comforter.

I get the economics of today's NFL. I get the desire to expand, to broaden the fanbase by bringing in the casual fan but at some point in your football fanship it SHOULD dawn on you that your role in the game is a lot more than just sedately sitting there like a goddamned turnip when it's 3rd and 2 in a tie game late in the 4th quarter and YOUR team needs the ball back to win.

Did they suddenly close off the end of the stadium at halftime or something? The acoustics didn't seem to be an issue then. Nor did it seem to be an issue during the Bengals game. The difference was the yuppie phonies disappeared and sold their tickets during the Bengals game and the die hards represented the hardest. Now that the team has put together a win streak, the wine and cheese crowd is back.

yeah...and for more context...come sit next to ME and THEN try to tell anyone it's quiet at the game. I'll shred your eardrums like wet tissue paper. Of course, when I sit in Tunes' section it's always the way it's supposed to be. Last game I had seats 3 rows from the field at the 5 and it was bleaaahh....so in the 4th quarter I gave my seat to my buddy's daughter who had been up in the 300's and I went up to Tunes' section.The 4th quarter was non stop noise.

I go to a lot of games every year and I notice a lot more hardcore ,diehard Pats fans attending games these days than in even the recent past. It's been a couple of seasons since I had some nitwit tell me to sit down and keep quiet because she and Herb Dooshebagg wanted a nice quiet tea and crumpets experience. I've sat in expensive seats behind the Pats bench and listened to nitwits blab all game about their ****in' Gucci bags and their "special" whale watching trips off Nantucket, people who wouldn't know a freakin' first down from a velvet down comforter.

I get the economics of today's NFL. I get the desire to expand, to broaden the fanbase by bringing in the casual fan but at some point in your football fanship it SHOULD dawn on you that your role in the game is a lot more than just sedately sitting there like a goddamned turnip when it's 3rd and 2 in a tie game late in the 4th quarter and YOUR team needs the ball back to win.

I read your middle paragraph in Joe Pesci's voice.

Actually, I was thinking of this scene. For anyone that has been living under a rock and has not seen this movie, the clip is NSFW.

Here's the deal: I'm tired of people coming here and *****ing about the Gillette fan environment without context or bases of comparison. I have attended every single Gillette regular-season and playoff game since the place opened. I also have been to games in 17 other NFL stadiums. I know from experience that fan noise almost exclusively is a product of the building's layout, NOT the crowd. I've explained elsewhere in this thread how Gillette was designed compared to other stadiums. THAT is different. The FANS are not! Why folks here have come to believe that the makeup/demographics/enthusiasm of New England fans are somehow worse than fan bases in the 31 other league cities makes no sense. Check out St. Louis, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Carolina, Miami, etc., etc. -- teams with more enclosed stadiums whose fans are even "quieter" than ours. Are those also "wine and cheese" crowds full of people preoccupied with taking selfies?

I've been to Jets and Bills games when the team wasn't playing well and the place was a morgue (or, the crowd was "pathetic"). I've also been to Jets games when the stadium was more than half empty, the team rallied, and it STILL got loud because the building held noise.

So let's stop this constant carping and moaning about the fans in Gillette as if they're uniquely incompetent. Just do your part to support the team when you're there and perhaps it'll catch on with those around you.

No context or basis of comparison? Really? The Cincinnati crowd was electric, the Jets crowd was garbage. Did the acoustics change in 2 weeks or was the crowd just pathetic that night? Like I said, the stadium was emptying out at the 2 minute warning in a 2 point game on third down. I suppose thats on the acoustics too.

Did they suddenly close off the end of the stadium at halftime or something? The acoustics didn't seem to be an issue then. Nor did it seem to be an issue during the Bengals game. The difference was the yuppie phonies disappeared and sold their tickets during the Bengals game and the die hards represented the hardest. Now that the team has put together a win streak, the wine and cheese crowd is back.

No way man. The acoustics is why you could hear a pin drop during the jets game:rolleyes:

One other acoustic point, although I heartily agree that the Jets crowd was not super loud like vs Cincy, part of the reason besides empty red seats was the 98% humidity which stifles the sound unlike cool, crisp nights like the Cincy game.

No context or basis of comparison? Really? The Cincinnati crowd was electric, the Jets crowd was garbage. Did the acoustics change in 2 weeks or was the crowd just pathetic that night? Like I said, the stadium was emptying out at the 2 minute warning in a 2 point game on third down. I suppose thats on the acoustics too.
Yes, crowd noise varies from game to game here as in the 31 other stadiums. I give you credit for understanding that.

It never rained at all during the game. It was very warm and humid so I took off my raincoat and watched in my long sleeved shirt. Maybe the humidity was too much at Muffy's red seat and she went indoors to the Putnam lounge.
It was not the humidity that caused Muffy to retreat, but more probably the spittle and half chewed soft pretzels from your non-stop maniacal raving.
And to that I can only say, nice work!

There is actually very little I like about Gillette stadium. The parking sucks. The long walk to the stadium sucks. Trying to drive in and out of the parking in getting on a major artery on the way home after a game sucks. Put me in the camp of those who think the acoustics suck and are a large part of the problem regarding the noise or lack there of.
But I love the team and I love the sport, so whenever I go, I stand the whole game and yell till my throat hurts.

One other acoustic point, although I heartily agree that the Jets crowd was not super loud like vs Cincy, part of the reason besides empty red seats was the 98% humidity which stifles the sound unlike cool, crisp nights like the Cincy game.
Oh ok Mr. Science, we believe you.

I'm so sick of these humidity conspiracy theories.

Oh ok Mr. Science, we believe you.

I'm so sick of these humidity conspiracy theories.
The humidity at the Grassy Knoll was through the roof.

I always thought crowd noise was more affected by barometric pressure than humidity. I'd love to read your study on it.

NFL fans don't vary significantly from city to city. It's all about the building. Compared to other stadiums, Gillette is built like a saucer while others resemble teacups. If the Krafts deserve criticism for anything, it's the layout of their stadium -- open north end, "skylights," vaulted upper deck, awful club seat placement, extra-wide soccer field footprint -- poorly conceived all around.

That's a great description of Gillette.

Unfortunately, I've only been to two other current NFL stadiums. Carolina in 2001 and Cleveland in 2000 and 2010. Cleveland (two Pats losses) was louder than here. Carolina was almost empty except for about 5 or 10 thousand Pats fans (we took the place over). Now that I've retired I should probably try to make a few trips and see some others. The only problem is that now they all look and sound alike.

I did as well...yet we are the ones who were the problem because we complained about it on here according to Tunes

If you are going to a game..you should expect to stand up..cheer..and get loud. If not then maybe the couch is best suited for those people.

Everyone has a right to cheer whatever way they want. I feel like I'm paying them to get me excited, not for the responsibility of getting them up for the game. I would stand and encourage them with applause, but they or you can't make me scream and yell too. They need to earn that.

It's like going into a fine restaurant for a good steak and telling the chef how wonderful the meal is before it's cooked. When the steak comes out done just right, then I'll give him/her the pat on the back.

Besides, I'm not a big fan of the extra loud noise that interferes with the games. I liked it better in the old days when the crowd had to keep it down until the ball was snapped.

Its impossible to gauge crowd noise from the tv broadcast. Different networks have different audio feeds. Fox games ALWAYS sound louder than cbs games.
I get to one or 2 games a year and the crowd always sounds better live than on tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back