PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cris Collinsworth:Pats weapons are fine, need to fix Oline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't listen to the whole thing, but from what I did hear, I agree with him. Blocking is the first thing that happens every play. If the guys up front aren't getting it done then the plays aren't going to develop and you're going to see results like this. Once the OL issues get fixed, everything else will fall in place.

How do you fix an Oline this dysfunctional during the season? I don't even think one single trade would be sufficient at this point.

How do you fix an Oline this dysfunctional during the season? I don't even think one single trade would be sufficient at this point.

bring Scarnecchia back from retirement, and Mankins from TBB... problem solved

A trade could be done. Coaching. Stick with five of the same guys and have them build some cohesion. I thought last week they looked better. Hopefully they'll get even better Sunday night because CIN is going to bring the heat.

Evidence points to the lines being root of the problems on both sides of the ball. I haven't seen anyone here satisfied with the line play. It has been putrid, but I think existing personnel can play much better if they put on their big boy pants and the coaches put them in positions to utilize the skills they do best. We'll know more Sunday night.

That is just plain stupid. Who is the deep threat for the Patriots? Duh...no one. Who does Tom throw to if Edleman is doubled? No one. How do you keep the defense from crowding the line? You cannot; there is not deep threat and barely any WRs.

The Patriots WRs suck, suck, suck,....

but hey, they have lots of money....Brady must be so grateful that he re-structured.

Greg Bedard was on today with Gresh and Zo and he said all you have to do is compare who Brady has around him with who Peyton Manning has around him. No comparison.

It is disgraceful what the Patriots have done. Bad drafting and bad (cheap) FA signings. He says he can understand why Brady is pissed with the Patriots. I would be too.

That is just plain stupid. Who is the deep threat for the Patriots? Duh...no one. Who does Tom throw to if Edleman is doubled? No one. How do you keep the defense from crowding the line? You cannot; there is not deep threat and barely any WRs.

but hey, they have lots of money....Brady must be so grateful that he re-structured.

Something like that....you want to kill the pats? Put 8 in the box and do various blitzes.....don't worry.....the only guy they're sending deep is a midget and we can disrupt him near the line

Greg Bedard was on today with Gresh and Zo and he said all you have to do is compare who Brady has around him with who Peyton Manning has around him. No comparison.

It is disgraceful what the Patriots have done. Bad drafting and bad (cheap) FA signings. He says he can understand why Brady is pissed with the Patriots. I would be too.

Brady did say if he sucked he would quit.....he didn't say anything about everyone else sucking....maybe he should tweak his hammy and sit since NONE OF IT IS GOING TO BE FIXED THIS YEAR.

The reality is that there is another way of considering the poor line play and our running game.

Connolly, Cannon and Fleming would be much better at guard if 8-9 defenders weren't in the box.

We've had poor lines in the past. Belichick and Josh know what is needed. Obviously, we can whine and say the answer is to have all top round draft picks on the OL, including Mankins as good as he was in 2012. IMHO, the OL would be better, but other positions would be worse.

SOLUTIONS
more dump offs, misdirections and screens
more hurry-up
short passes over the middle
and an occasional pass downfield

Other than 2007, this has taken place in the patriot offense. 2007 was special because we had one of the two best WR's in the history of the NFL playing for us.

WHY ARE WE NOT DOING THE ABOVE FOUR THINGS
1) Starting Cannon at LG and Devey at RG was a disaster. I expect that after the bye the OL will look a lot better, especially be comparison. I see no reason for the OL not to be as good as 2012. After all, Mankins wasn't very good last year, and we have added Stork and Fleming.

2) The TE's aren't blocking all that great so far. We do need more blocking from Gronk and Wright, including wham blocks. A leading guard is great; a leading TE is AWESOME. We should not underestimate the importance of blocking by TE's (and RB's and WR's). Blocking is about more the five OL starters.

3) Hurry-up requires everyone to be one the same page, especially the offensive linemen. Hopefully, we'll see more of this as the season progresses.

AND NOW THE "REAL" ISSUE

4) The WR's simply aren't getting open enough. This is essential over the middle. This was Brady's bread and butter even last year. And if the passes over the middle can be extended to even 10 yards, the options will open for the offense.

Edelman cannot be everything. If Amendola can't be productive in the slot, we NEED to give up and have him inactive. Edelman would need to move to the slot (and be active on every play as Welker and Brown were). So. Edelman would end up doing a bit more than slot. But his primary job would be the slot.

SOMEONE has to extend the field even it is a 50% receiver with no YAC's like Lloyd used to be. DOBSON, THOMPKINS, BOYCE or TYMS! SomeONE of these needs to step up as even a mediocre downfield receiver.

IMHO, with Edelman in the slot and LaFell doing what he's doing now, we are close to having what we need.

BOTTOM LINE
The NUMBER ONE problem for the offense is the lack of a mid to downfield passing game and receivers in that role. Josh made this absurdly obvious by not even activating any of the choices against KC. We can afford to lose games, but we cannot afford not to have a downfield threat. That threat would open up the short game and the running game. And as I said, the player doesn't need to be great. We've have lloyd and Branch2 in that role, with success.

As a side issue, an alternative is for Edelman to be that receiver (that's being tried now). However, that has failed because (for whatever reason) Amendolda is failing a slot receiver.

So, for me, the OL can be sorted out and be at least OK. IMHO, the OL (and DL for that matter) are good enough for us to win.

Collinsworth always has Brady's back.

collinsworth/gruden/steve young i love all of them. always defending tom. **** you belichick.

our line is terrible. every single of them them is getting beat 1v1, tom can't do ****. one play flemming stork, and connoly all got beat inside and tom had to run to his right and throw the ball out of bounds.
incredible.....

Brady did say if he sucked he would quit.....he didn't say anything about everyone else sucking....maybe he should tweak his hammy and sit since NONE OF IT IS GOING TO BE FIXED THIS YEAR.

Would completely backfire when BB drafts Marcus Mariota and trades out of the 2nd for a future 1st.

The high speed 1 word play calling no huddle would go a long way to helping the entire Offense out.

Quick passes with an up tempo style means the defense plays on the back foot meaning the OL has an easier job which of course means more time for Brady and as the game wears on, more holes for the RBs.

Can this team, outside of Gronk, Vareen, Ridley, Brady and Edelman handle our 2012 tempo?
I'm not so sure.

So how will he throw to this deep threat if his line break down before the WR is 20 yards down field?

We need an oline that can let Brady do what he does best. Pick apart defenses from the confort of a pocket. Right now he is playing scared and making bad decisions and throws. Most likely because he doesn't trust his line at all, or his receivers for that matter.

Yes our receivers is an issue. But fixing the OL should be much more of a priority.

Is there a barf emoticon?

Brady after seeing this tweet

dog-puke.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back