PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crazy Hypothetical: Could Cassel have won SB 42???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that most eveyone seems to be in the Cassel corner I was wondering what people think about how our chances would have been in the SB if Brady's ankle had prevented him from playing. In other words would a Healthy Cassel potentially done better than a hurt Brady.

Now I am not criticzing playing a hurt Brady as I think that was a no brainer if the guy can go he Starts. And I am not saying that Brady's lack of mobility was the only reason we lost but it was a big one as the pressure ate him alive.

Now keep in mind we would not have the Cassel of the last few weeks as that experience was not there yet. But our hindsight shows even when he was getting sacked alot early in the year he didn't make the key mistake and his mobilty might have helped extend some drives.

What do you guys think the outcome of the SB would have been if Cassel had started?

I don't think it would have been better in fact it probably would have been much worse but I am curious what others think.

You're right....this is CRAZY hypothetical alright!!! :)

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that no one thinks he could win as I couldn't convince myself of this but I did expect a few people would come out and say maybe.

My thinking was it was a really close game and Brady was hurt....might it not have been possible that even an inexperienced Cassel could have done a little better or maybe even just in some small way change the momentum of it.

I have to believe this question was asked when people were searching for answers after the loss back in feb. So I figured why not rehash now that we can use hindsight on his skills.

No. With the freaky, plays that went the Giants way...that Superbowl was theirs..no arguments. Can we all just move on now...please.:confused:

For a guy who was under extreme pressure all night long, Brady played pretty well. 29/48, 266 yards, 1 TD, 0 picks. He put the Pats in position to win with very little time left despite the constant pressure. Really, it was the defense that couldn't win SB 42 for us. They had so many chances to end the game on that drive too and didn't. Bottom line is, Brady played well enough to win SB 42, but the defense didn't come through.

Cassel most likely would've been eaten alive at the time, causing turnovers that would've put the Pats in a big hole.

Cassel most likely would've been eaten alive at the time, causing turnovers that would've put the Pats in a big hole.

Exactly the opposite is true of what we have seen out of him and that was why now I thought this might have some cred. He has shown the ability to take the sacks and not make the big mistake because of it so I am not sure how much worse it would have been as far as that. But in all likelyhood he still wouldn't be able to do more offensively to put points on the board than Brady did.

Exactly the opposite is true of what we have seen out of him and that was why now I thought this might have some cred. He has shown the ability to take the sacks and not make the big mistake because of it so I am not sure how much worse it would have been as far as that. But in all likelyhood he still wouldn't be able to do more offensively to put points on the board than Brady did.

I know Cassel has played surprisingly well this year, but that's not the point.

The point is; he would've been playing the New York Giants defense, which made life difficult for even Tom Brady of all people. It would've been worse on Cassel. The Pats couldn't really run the ball in SB 42, so Cassel, just like Brady, would've had to throw the ball a lot. He wouldn't have had the advantage of getting in a few easy weeks of 15-20 passes where he barely goes downfield like he did earlier this season. Keep in mind, Cassel hadn't played extensively in a game since the last game of 2005, so he would've been thrown into a pressure packed game and asked to do a lot. If Tom Brady couldn't lead the Pats to more than 14 points, I don't see how Cassel would have been able to. I'd say he would've accounted for at least a few turnovers and been sacked just as many times if not more than Brady was.

But obviously we'll never know. I just know we had that game if the defense could've made a play. I mean, they had like 2 or 3 picks served up to them...

especially considering cassel's red zone production is not even close to what brady did last yr.

I think you;re just romanticizing his last game which had gaudy numbers but the reality is that he drove for only two fg's right before half(when they go the gaffney td).

Well I think If Cassel had been thrown into that game.....he, or anyone else would have gotten killed.....It all came down to the OL getting their a##es handed to them by NY.....If Tom Brady, one of the greatest QB's of all time, could not get something going out there....trust me Cassel would have been a mess......

Now, onto this year......I could not be more impressed with what Matt Cassel has accomplished....and more importantly, the fire and guts this kid has shown.....leading a scrapping comback against the jests was something to watch.....I give him alot of credit for stepping in and doing what he has.........That having been said....I do not see this team franchising him....and I do not expect to see him here next year......GO PATS!

I know Cassel has played surprisingly well this year, but that's not the point.

The point is; he would've been playing the New York Giants defense, which made life difficult for even Tom Brady of all people. It would've been worse on Cassel. The Pats couldn't really run the ball in SB 42, so Cassel, just like Brady, would've had to throw the ball a lot. He wouldn't have had the advantage of getting in a few easy weeks of 15-20 passes where he barely goes downfield like he did earlier this season. Keep in mind, Cassel hadn't played extensively in a game since the last game of 2005, so he would've been thrown into a pressure packed game and asked to do a lot. If Tom Brady couldn't lead the Pats to more than 14 points, I don't see how Cassel would have been able to. I'd say he would've accounted for at least a few turnovers and been sacked just as many times if not more than Brady was.

But obviously we'll never know. I just know we had that game if the defense could've made a play. I mean, they had like 2 or 3 picks served up to them...

As you point out we couldn't run but maybe Cassel could have scrambled for his life.

I think one of the problems with the offensive game plan from that game was that we went down field to much and we just didn't have time for those plays to develope. Cassel would not have had the same game plan and maybe that could have changed things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back