PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coverage of Peyton's 51 & Media in general.

re: Coverage of Peyton's 51 & Media in general.

Enough of Manning....
How much to sign Decker next year? Big target, making big plays every week. Screams Patriot!!

From Rotoworld/Denver Post--The Denver Post expects re-signing Eric Decker to be Broncos' highest priority in free agency.
The Broncos have 16 impending free agents, including Decker, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Knowshon Moreno and Wesley Woodyard. It may be difficult to give Decker a competitive offer and stay under the salary cap. The Post suggests the No. 2 wideout will command a deal of "at least" five years and $40 million. Meanwhile, Demaryius Thomas' rookie contract is up after the 2014 season. Dec 26 - 9:43 AM

Considering true #1s are breaking the bank for considerably more $11-$15 mill.....$8 mill would be someone's steal. Brady may not like the GQ attention Decker would bring :)

Enough of Manning....
How much to sign Decker next year? Big target, making big plays every week. Screams Patriot!!

From Rotoworld/Denver Post--The Denver Post expects re-signing Eric Decker to be Broncos' highest priority in free agency.
The Broncos have 16 impending free agents, including Decker, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Knowshon Moreno and Wesley Woodyard. It may be difficult to give Decker a competitive offer and stay under the salary cap. The Post suggests the No. 2 wideout will command a deal of "at least" five years and $40 million. Meanwhile, Demaryius Thomas' rookie contract is up after the 2014 season. Dec 26 - 9:43 AM

Considering true #1s are breaking the bank for considerably more $11-$15 mill.....$8 mill would be someone's steal. Brady may not like the GQ attention Decker would bring :)

Christmas is over so stop your dreaming. You know and I know the Patriots do not go on the open market and sign WR's to big money.
Do think they should call Tony Gonzalez in the spring and talk him into coming back to play for 1 more year so he can win a ring.

In the interest of accuracy, here is the exact text of Curran's tweet: "So many in the media clutched their hymnals when NE kept scoring in 2007. Denver throwing deep, often up 30-13 with 5 minutes left. Not a peep."

that's even worse for curran

he think 1 for 2 passing = often

wow...

Manning is going to retire a Colt.

Welker is going to retire a Patriot.

You're entire team is just a mercenary squad with no soul.

It's just hilarious. Bronco fans are just pitifully hilarious. You're barely even Denver now. You're just "Peyton's new team." After next season, he'll retire and you'll be back in the basement of the AFC for the next 20 years. I hope three seasons of decisively beating the Raiders with Indy's stat-compiler was worth it.

in the nfl, players can retire wherever they want, but when it comes to the hall of fame in the nfl, the player doesn't have a choice what they're remembered as, their bust in the nfl lists all teams they played for , it's not like baseball where players are enshrined wearing a certain team's cap.

ie jr seau retired as a patriot i believe, but in the hall of fame his plaque lists chargers dolphins patriots

wow...
I disagree with you. I think Curran is addressing more than just one game. I think he's pointing out that Manning is constantly firing passes when his team is up (often) handily with little time left in games. When the Patriots did it in 2007 there were plenty of people up in arms but now it's just not talked about.

I could be wrong but that's my take.

I disagree with you. I think Curran is addressing more than just one game. I think he's pointing out that Manning is constantly firing passes when his team is up (often) handily with little time left in games. When the Patriots did it in 2007 there were plenty of people up in arms but now it's just not talked about.

I could be wrong but that's my take.
Why wouldnt he keep firing passes! No lead is safe for us. 51 points on Dallas and they almost come back. Up by 24 against the pats and we lose. Broncos may need 60 points a game in the playoffs!

Our buddy Gregg Easterbrook's take:
----------
Denver's Own Personal Stats Item: Peyton Manning has set the record at 51 touchdown passes; he is on a pace for 54 touchdown passes. Denver is on pace for 610 points; the NFL record is 589 points. Denver has kicked 71 extra points; the Jaguars have kicked 21 PATs.

Reader David Clauss of East Providence, R.I., writes, "Back in 2007 when New England's offense was a juggernaut and ran up the score, you consistently criticized Bill Belichick for this. This season, you say nothing about John Fox, and praise Denver's dazzling offensive stats. Why the Broncos favoritism?"

All season I've mulled whether Denver is running up the score. Denver defeated Tennessee 51-28, but the lead did not become insurmountable until late. When the Broncs led Philadelphia 42-13 at the end of the third quarter, Manning held a clipboard for the rest of the contest. So, no problem with either of those high-scoring outings. Sunday, Manning should have come out with the Broncos ahead 30-13 and only five minutes remaining: Denver plainly was playing to make sure its star got the touchdown-passes record. (He might sit in the season finale.) On the other hand, the Broncos wish they'd run up the score when they held a seemingly safe 24-0 lead at New England.

I'd be the first to admit some of the difference in reaction is optics. Belichick snarls at the public; Fox comes across as awe-shucks. Maybe they're both different in private. But no one puts a gun to Belichick's head and forces him to snarl -- he could make an effort to seem grateful for his good fortune.

-----

Translation: Yeah maybe the Broncos were stat padding the other day but that's ok they had good reasons to such as (excuse#1, excuse#2 and so on....) ...and Belichick is a sourpuss so I didn't give him the benefit of the doubt like I'm giving Fox.

If this was his article in 2007 and the Pats did exactly the same thing: THE PATRIOTS SHOW BAD SPORTMANSHIP THEY ARE EEEEEEVIL

Gotta admit, the shameless double standard is quite amusing.

why can't brady and manning just both be considered two of the best to play the game, and let the media stupidly hype up the story of the day as we know they always will?

^^^^^^^

+1

wow...
You describe it cleverly and deceivingly. Here's how your 1 for 2 actually went: Ahead 30-13 Denver got the ball back with 4:51 left. Play 1: short pass incomplete; Play 2: deep pass 27 yards to Decker draws PI call; Play 3: deep pass 25 yards TD to Thomas. So, your 1 for 2 was actually 3 consecutive pass attempts (one PI call) covering 52 yards for a TD. That's deep, that's often and that's running it up. Nice try.

Why can't Brady and Manning just both be considered two of the best to play the game, and let the media stupidly hype up the story of the day as we know they always will?

Because PayaTon is not one of the best to play the game, that's why.

Like Tom Brady says of Superbowls, I say of Manning faces.

Which Manning face is my favorite?

The next one.

I think the denver mannings will play the chiefs in the divisional round and it will be another 1 and done for the forehead.:rocker:

Not that this news matters much anyway, but at least it verifies what everyone already knew regarding Decker's "catch":
Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning threw his record-tying 50th touchdown pass to wide receiver Eric Decker last week on a play that was put under a review because it looked like Decker may have been juggling the ball while going out of the end zone.

It was ruled a catch on the field and was upheld on the review, but Texans interim coach Wade Phillips contended that the call was incorrect after the game. Phillips asked the NFL for clarification on the ruling and said Friday that the team heard back from the league that it should have been ruled an incompletion.​

Wade Phillips: NFL told me Manning?s record-tying TD shouldn?t have counted | ProFootballTalk

Not that this news matters much anyway, but at least it verifies what everyone already knew regarding Decker's "catch":
Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning threw his record-tying 50th touchdown pass to wide receiver Eric Decker last week on a play that was put under a review because it looked like Decker may have been juggling the ball while going out of the end zone.

It was ruled a catch on the field and was upheld on the review, but Texans interim coach Wade Phillips contended that the call was incorrect after the game. Phillips asked the NFL for clarification on the ruling and said Friday that the team heard back from the league that it should have been ruled an incompletion.​

Wade Phillips: NFL told me Manning?s record-tying TD shouldn?t have counted | ProFootballTalk

Asterisk time!

And Decker could have been called for PI on #50.

Whatever, he'd have broken it anyway. But this is the sort of thing that makes the league look increasingly bad.

Whatever, he'd have broken it anyway. But this is the sort of thing that makes the league look increasingly bad.
My thoughts exactly.

Not in any way bashing the guy, as he does deserve congratulations for an outstanding season, but if there was ever proof needed to show that the referees/league obviously mailed it on consistencies and were pushing hard to get the record, this would be it.

It's not hard to get a record broken when you're getting credited for things you didn't even accomplish.

to be honest, Mannings record while impressive isnt the same as bradys to me because its obvious that Manning was just trolling for stats.

I bet Aaron Rodgers/Brady could break the record if they are throwing passes at the 5 yard line, or throwing passes up by 20+points to run up the score. But smartly they audible to run plays at those times.

the most annoying thing about this whole "record" is that not ONCE have I heard the media crying about manning running up the score. which they did ALL THE TIME when brady broke the record in 2007

it will be funny if manning gets bounced in the divisional round. Or brady hands him a defeat in denver.

Asterisk time!

This has been a horribly-officiated season, from Week 1 to Week 16.
And here we thought that replacing the replacement zebras was the answer.
It should've been the answer, but something really stinks at League HQ.

Your team is great against bottom feeder scrubs like the Raiders.

We aren't the Raiders or a bottom feeding scrub.

Hey, easy now. I got money on those bottom feeding scrubs this week.

WHO THE HELL CARES!!!!! Sports records have become one of the BIGGEST jokes ever. Winners will ALWAYS be remembered/respected.

Asterisk time!

One wonders how many touchdowns Peytie would have if the NFL called the Broncos pick plays correctly?

FTR, I think it's a fine accomplishment by Manning, I just enjoy paying out on him.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back