PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Wilfork rush the passer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
4)You know why DE in 3-4 need to be tall and long?

a) As DE job is to hold the block and rush when the QB throws he can raise his hands to block the passing lanes. Seymour was very good at this and this is due to developing this skill set and being tall.
b) The ability to stand and look at the qb drop and then rush the passer. a 6 2 DE while lower to the ground will have trouble looking over a taller OT to determine to rush the passer.
C) Same applies for finding the RB running behind the Line. If he is shorter and plays with a lower CG he is not going to able to see the RB.
d) Longer hands give leverage to shed blockers and get the RB.

at 6,2 vince playing low will never be able to develop the height to block throws or determine when to rush.

How do you know Wilfork won't be able to develop that height? It could happen!:robot:

Give me one reason to take your argument seriously.

I did, about 4 times.. One last time..

Your explanation on why Wilfork wouldn't fit is your opinion as a fan, just like mine..

your missing the overall value point. There is value into moving Wilfork over to the RDE position.. Value is

1. Its a deep draft and there appears to be 3-4 NT's in this draft (AND again I stress this.. IF a NT is rated HIGHER than a DE on their draft board)
2. We have Wilfork at a NT deal, which is about 4 million less than a DE would cost us.. The value is we're saving money at the position and can devert that money to another position.. A NT, Rookie or Vet, will cost less..
3. DE in the 3-4 isn't about getting pressure on the pocket.. We've never had a starting DE get more than 8 sacks in a season..
4. One of (and we had many) issues on defense is the containment on the outside where our LB's weren't in position to make a play.. Kinda funny how when Seymour left, this became an issue
5. Wilfork is 2 inches shorter than Ngata (the point DE need to be tall, I rather have a football player.. ) but just as good.. Ngata never registered over 4 sacks..

Last edited:
Closing burst, lateral quickness, playing weight....

Too much risk for a 310 guy to play a position of 250-270 lb guys. DE position is injury prone. You want your franchise DL more than 6 games a year. Not worth it. Bring in Greg Ellis.

Last edited:
This must be this offseasons version of "Lets move Wilson/Meriweather to CB" thread.

There is no good reason to take an elite NT, pay him huge $, and then willingly turn him into a below average DE.

Just brutal. What happened to this place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back