PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could we win a game without Brady ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulThePat

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
With all the talk of injuries around the league I was wondering what would happen if the worst came to the worst and Tom Brady went down. Hope to goodness it never happens but if it did where would it leave the Patriots ? Could we seriously expect Cassell to take over and win us any games ? Despite all the offensive talent would Matt still be unable to win games in the NFL ?

the Pats would still be an above average team, IMO. Cassel may have no business carrying a team, but neither do half of the QBs in the league, and at least he'd have Moss to throw airballs to and a good defense to support him.

Without Brady the Pats still dominate the AFC East.... Go to the playoff, maybe even win a game or two.

I think they would bring in some veteren talent. Cassel, regardless of being the second string backup, is more a game-time backup, not the game to game fill in type IMO.

He might be able to win a few, with all the talent suplamenting him. But he can't lead the team.

Last edited:
delete this somebody!!!

With all the talk of injuries around the league I was wondering what would happen if the worst came to the worst and Tom Brady went down. Hope to goodness it never happens but if it did where would it leave the Patriots ? Could we seriously expect Cassell to take over and win us any games ? Despite all the offensive talent would Matt still be unable to win games in the NFL ?

Very good question....and let's not even THINK this possibility.....because in my opinion.....no.....Matt could not get the job done.....this is the only true achilles heel on this team....I would rather see them make a plea to Bledsoe to come back to try to get them through the playoffs and into SB....than put the game in Cassel's hands........Actually, from what I saw in preseason as far as "poise" is concerned....I would rather see Gutz out there......

That's the achilles heel of most teams with a good QB though. If your team wouldn't suffer a ton by losing its QB, then the starter probably isn't that good to begin with. It's not like the Pats would become a bad team by losing Brady. They'd just go from historically good to above average. It's impossible, in the salary cap era, to carry two exceptional QBs on one roster.

Second the delete option. I'm not even thinking about it.

I think they would bring in some veteren talent. Cassel, regardless of being the second string backup, is more a game-time backup, not the game to game fill in type IMO.

He might be able to win a few, with all the talent suplamenting him. But he can't lead the team.

How does "game time backup" differ from "game to game" backup?? I can't imagine a guy they picked up off the street at this point in the season would be any better than Cassell in the latter situaton. If there was someone out there (i.e. before vinny went to the panthers) why wouldn't they drop the 3rd stringer and pick him up to keep him out of someone else's uniform?

I hate this thread.
Yeah, it's been a long two weeks. But the bye is history - let's talk about the game instead of what-ifs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST