PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could we use Jarvis as the "Elephant"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might have been a little confused in my post but I did title it elephant and that is not the same as an OLB.

Just a way to get some extra pass rush occasionally from different angles.

I don't think he's been used as a "classic" elephant, which is bouncing all around until the snap to confuse the offense.

My thought about pass coverage responsibilities obviously doesn't make sense if the only role is as a pass rusher anyway.

My confusion is in the McGinest comparison where he played this role before developing into a complete linebacker who could switch at will.

Obviously, we don't have that type of player, although Vrabel is close.

I might have been a little confused in my post but I did title it elephant and that is not the same as an OLB.

Just a way to get some extra pass rush occasionally from different angles.

I don't think he's been used as a "classic" elephant, which is bouncing all around until the snap to confuse the offense.

My thought about pass coverage responsibilities obviously doesn't make sense if the only role is as a pass rusher anyway.

My confusion is in the McGinest comparison where he played this role before developing into a complete linebacker who could switch at will.

Obviously, we don't have that type of player, although Vrabel is close.

McGinest is listed as a DE and not a LB - but he's clearly a tweener and its almost pointless to get stuck on position titles in these cases.

In any event whereas many DEs are in the 300 lb. range - Jarvis at 285 is smaller than many - and clearly has shown a nice burst of speed (3 sacks in a game show that as well)

In any event there's no question in my mind that Jarvis could be used as an Elephant - the issue is, will he be. I think we all trust the coach to make the right call on that.

of course I'm joking, but if we had a better and deeper receiver core I could see it happening. I dont put anything by BB. Brown as a db, vrabel as a te, seymour as a fb. you have to admit there is a track record there

Which is why I had to ask the question of whether you were joking. I'd rule nothing out.

Brown, by the way, until we signed Testeverde, was also our third string QB - and has thrown a few passes in games himself if I recall correctly.

Also if you recall, Patten had a game where he had TDs as a WR, RB and QB (passing)

So anything's possible - I just definately don't see him risking Watson in that way.

Our "best" receiver this year - whether its Caldwell or Watson, projects at 65 passes caught this season. Neither numbers are exactly #1 WR caliber but collectively its ok - but if one goes out with an injury going into the playoffs, I'm not all that optimistic about our offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back