PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

could we be setting up for a big trade on draft day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be surprised if they don't do something before the draft because the last few years they have made some kind of move before it so it will be interesting to see what happens.

I think the AJ Hawk possibility is intriguing.
But that wouldnt explain the approach to Free Agency. There is no need to save a lot of cap room to move up in the draft.

I think the real answer is that given the 2 extremes:

2 players at 10 mill each
or
20 players at 1 mill each

BB has assessed his team, his needs, the market and who is out there and decided that he wants to be much closer to the 2nd than the first. Well, actually with those extremes maybe near the middle.

Those type of players typically come later in FA, because when the big $$ are being spent they have no reason to sign at value now, trying to get someone to overpay while overpaying is happening.

I think in the end you will see we are one of the most active teams in FA, especially when you factor in resigning our own. Our time just hasnt come yet because the market doesnt fall that way.

Knowns and unknowns

I personally don't know enough to guess who sees what, when the Pats evaluate players - beyond the broad outlines.

I went from "Eh, Moulds, huh, maybe..." to "hey! they wanna talk to him!" when they made contact.

There seems to be quite a mix of what the Pats look at: what are you like when it's gut-check time? Overall temprament? If you've got issues, what has caused your breakdowns? (see Dillon, Corey.)

How AWARE are you, at all times? This one is crucial, on both sides of the ball, but especially defense. The Pats get complicated - everybody needs a brain, bar none, and they need awareness at all times. The guy that can be thinking (to an extent) AND performing is a rare guy, and the Pats know this. Ever read Zen and the Art of Archery? It's not easy to just loosen up, stop thinking, and perform. It's even harder to loosen up, keep thinking, and perform. Oh by the way, after all that, you need to be fanatic on fundamentals.... tackling, for instance.

The Pats haven't been winning because they're physically dominant. They win because any time they can dominate, they do. If you catch a ball, Rodney or Asante makes you pay. If Dillon sees three more yards, you better make sure you wrap him up, because if he can shed the first hit, he will (okay, moreso in 04 - but I ascribe that to the injury.) Maximum intensity, maximum focus, minimum ego.

The minimum ego thing goes back to the Zen thing, actually. I wonder if BB could sell Patriots Fantasy Training Camp to buddhists looking for nirvana? Think about it - to be without self, without ego.... it's not achieved by meditation, it's achieved by playing Patriots football!

Right. That said, I think the fact the Pats made a call to Moulds makes it likely they see those qualities in him. We'll see how they feel after working him out, and - just as importantly - interviewing him, assuming he's interested.

My whole point in this long ramble is, we can see stats, and we can remember big plays, and those who record every game every week from Direct TV to a game tape can even go back and "study film."

But I'm a true believer that the tendencies you can spot on the field are only half the battle. If an O lineman doesn't finish his blocks sometimes, you can see that. You can even see someone giving up on a play, rather than making a technique error. But you can't see how he'll grasp the Bellichek playbook, how he'll take to his role, how he'll take to the "egoless" team.

So, when the Pats make a call to a team showing interest, that's when the theoreticals truly become possibles for me. Until then, it seems like we're shooting in the dark. The part of football not transparent to me the fan is frustrating, but I think - more for the Pats than for most teams - that part is crucial.

Oh, woe is us, the poor underinformed masses.

But hell, you can't just plug a guy in like you can in Madden.

PFnV

p.s., someone asked what's happening with Ray Lewis - if he's not staying put, my gut says, wow, one of the greats. My mind says, still has a lot left in the tank, has obviously moved past his days as The Obstructor, and this guy has NEVER QUIT encoded into his DNA. But I wonder about the "fit" - not saying they're uninspired, but Pats leaders aren't constantly whipping everybody else into a frenzy, psyching them up, getting them rabid... something even tells me that might be counter to where these guys need to be mentally when the ball is snapped. You always need to be psyched, but is there such a thing as TOO psyched? Would a Ray on this team dilute the focus individuals are melding into an ultraprofessional, ultra-aware team on every play? Uh, Idunno.

Oh yeah, the point

Yeah of course we could be setting up for a big move on draft day.... or we could not be... or.... or...

One thing I know though, if I know anything: we're not setting up to spend 80 mill with a 102 mill cap! It's goin' somewhere!

Though gee, I wonder if they're planning to keep a few more ducats around for the in-season injury fill-ins, just in case?

Someone said the offseason is like being a kid waiting for Christmas morning... I feel the same way this time of year, and I'm freaking Jewish!

PFnV

Pats726 said:
...but why trade Graham??? A solid blocker...maybe the best TE blocker???

I've given Graham lots of kudos for his blocking over the years. Fans often miss this and it can have a big impact in a game.

But if the Pats only really need a blocker at that position, they could trade Graham and put another blocker in that position. (The REAL commodity in the NFL is a TE who can do both - catch and block - well - and I think Watson has an edge on Graham on that)

So if one were to trade Graham - put a decent but more cost-effective blocking TE in his place - and upgrade a draft pick into a premier player, that would make sense to me.

PatsFanInVa said:
Yeah of course we could be setting up for a big move on draft day.... or we could not be... or.... or...

One thing I know though, if I know anything: we're not setting up to spend 80 mill with a 102 mill cap! It's goin' somewhere!

Though gee, I wonder if they're planning to keep a few more ducats around for the in-season injury fill-ins, just in case?

Someone said the offseason is like being a kid waiting for Christmas morning... I feel the same way this time of year, and I'm freaking Jewish!

PFnV
Zen Judaism, oh my, the religious significance of Patriots' football just keeps growing... :D

Oh hell, let's just give up football and start a cult. Dibs on the #12 saffron, blue & silver robe!

PatsFanInVa said:

PFnV

welcome to the club

hey, i always got excited when i saw the gifts under the big wooden menorah my parents had

goldenaleus said:
I did see a mock draft that had us moving into the #8 (Buffalo) and taking Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon.

At 21 Buffalo's mock pick had taken: Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, BC

On the Draft Forum, I created a thread about that very mock called something like Candidate For Dumbest Mock Ever! It had us taking a NT to fill "one of our greatest needs" and it had us giving up a ton to do so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST