PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Contrarians view

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a good post, Razor. While I don't necessarily agree with the conclusion you posit in the last sentence, you've pointed out a number of situations that are in fact reality-based.

The problem - the real problem, as I see it - for the SD defense is Welker. That little bugger gets separation like no one else, and if SD decides to double him down, whether it be with 2 LBers, a LB and a nickel or dime back, they'll have opened a real can of worms, via Gaffney and Stallworth. As soon as Brady sees Welker drawing double coverage, he'll know someone is going to be open, and doubtless in a favorable place.

This is a path fraught with dangerous repercussions for the SD defense.

For the SD defensive coaches, this game poses a conundrum that they may not find an answer to. Should be most interesting....

Seperation?... ok, I'll give ya that, its tough to argue. Welker isnt neccasarily fast, in the tradditional sense, he is..... quick, and evasive. Welker is a tiny NFL player, what 5'7-5'8?, has great balance, awareness, and uses "body lean" to get even smaller, and closer to the ground, making knock out tackles turn into glancing blows. I would say, 5 yards in any direction, he is maybe the most agile reciever.

But...... an argument could be made for Kevin Faulk, he is definately faster, probably quicker, very evasive, small player as well, center of gravity, great body lean, excellent hands. K.Faulk is a HB though, apples oranges?

Lest we forget, Donte Stallworth is a natural running back, this was his strength pre NFL (wingback), and he has to be the biggest threat for YAC on this team, hands down.

Maroney isnt to shabby in that department either, especially as of late, he has turned 5-10yd screens into 25-35 yard beauties, not to mention if a seem opens and this kid getsinto the backfield, a lil' open space, he makes Barry Sanders (distance not style) sprints (50+ yrd runs).

Wes Welker/ Kevin Faulk : Intermediate, and backfield threats, can turn short gains into bigger plays.

L. Maroney/ D. Stallworth: YAC beasts

Faulk/Maroney/Stallworth: Screen play nightmares

Last edited:
I'm telling you right now you better hope the wind is not much of a factor.The worse thing that could happen is SD having a few stops in the begining of the game.
Pats better come out fast and hitting and scoring.SD is an immature team and if they are down early its all over.But if they think they can play with the Pats they WILL give them all they can handle.

SD will blitz their ass off and if the wind is factor...well, Houston we have a problem.

Leave all thoughts about "immaturity" to the sensational creating media.

The Bolts already know they can play with the Pats and will give them all they can handle.

Chargers lead the league in scoring the most points in the second half. If the score is close at halftime then I expect the Chargers' offense to come out strong in the second half. The Bolts' o-line has been known to wear out defenders. With an old defense like yours I expect no different approach.

Chargers lead the league in scoring the most points in the second half. If the score is close at halftime then I expect the Chargers' offense to come out strong in the second half. The Bolts' o-line has been known to wear out defenders. With an old defense like yours I expect no different approach.

Old defense argument alert.

Seau, Harrison and Bruschi are the older members of the Patriots defense. The SD O-Line has little bearing on the ILBs and SS. If you think the SD O-Line will wear down Wilfork, Seymour, Warren, Green, Adalius and Vrabel, you're patently insane.

The biggest variable is barely getting mention--it isn't the cold--it is the amount of travel that SD has to endure and the impact that has on preparation. It is the equivalent of the Patriots getting another bye week.

Look at the opponents the Chargers have played in achieving those statistics. Not impressive.

I'm reminded of a Mike Tyson quote. "Everyone has a plan... until they get hit."

SD is an immature team and if they are down early its all over.

I'll agree with you that SD is an immature team, but I don't agree with you that if they are down early it's all over.

I would point to a lot of games last season and this season where we were down by 1-2 touchdowns at least going into the 2nd half and manage to pull out the comeback & the win.

But the immaturity worries me. To wit... the dumb penalty by Drayton Florence in last year's playoff vs. Pats, McCree fumbling that interception vs. Pats, Eric Parker muffing the punt then not falling on the ball vs. Pats, etc.

While they do have comeback abilities galore, they are also prone to stupid stupid mistakes. Less so this year than last, but it's still there.

Here's my prediction: This game will be a close game down to the last half of the 4th quarter. The winner will be the team that makes less mistakes than the other team. Unfortunately for my Chargers, the Pats have been playing mistake free football all year. :(

you are an idiot.

Look at the opponents the Chargers have played in achieving those statistics. Not impressive.

I'm reminded of a Mike Tyson quote. "Everyone has a plan... until they get hit."

“Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.”

great quote

I wouldn't put too much into who we've played... we can't control that the AFC West have been weak this year and 6 of our games have been in that division. The rest of the games are based on our 14-2 record from last year. They're supposed to be strong teams. Bears were supposed to be at least decent. So were the Ravens and (don't laugh), Detroit who started out strong.

Titans, despite what the stats say, are pretty good and we beat them twice. Colts are good too even if you guys hate them with a passion and we beat them twice. Houston is an upcoming team. So it's hard to say something like this... the reality is a lot more complex.

you are an idiot.

-------------
Sorry to ruffle your sheets but yes, your defense is old. They said the same thing about Indy's defense, small but fast plus they have that DPOY Sanders. Well, guess what happened? I guess Sanders fell asleep during the game. A few teams already exposed your defense and some of them have put up points on your aging defense. Are you still hoping that the Pats are facing the same old Chargers team they faced in February? Get real.

-------------
Sorry to ruffle your sheets but yes, your defense is old. They said the same thing about Indy's defense, small but fast plus they have that DPOY Sanders. Well, guess what happened? I guess Sanders fell asleep during the game. A few teams already exposed your defense and some of them have put up points on your aging defense. Are you still hoping that the Pats are facing the same old Chargers team they faced in February? Get real.

This is an empty argument. Seau, Bruschi and Harrison are the older members of the Patriots defense and yet they have proven to be assets, not liabilities.

-------------

what??

see my earlier comment.

Last edited:

This is an empty argument. Seau, Bruschi and Harrison are the older members of the Patriots defense and yet they have proven to be assets, not liabilities.

----------------

Don't get me wrong. I admire Junior and Rodney. They'll remain as my favorite Chargers. In fact, I still have jerseys bearing their names and wear them proudly whenever I go to a Charger game. Fact is, they've become system players and BB's system is working perfectly. Disrupting that system on Sunday is a task that Norv Turner will try to accomplish.

----------------

Don't get me wrong. I admire Junior and Rodney. They'll remain as my favorite Chargers. In fact, I still have jerseys bearing their names and wear them proudly whenever I go to a Charger game. Fact is, they've become system players and BB's system is working perfectly. Disrupting that system on Sunday is a task that Norv Turner will try to accomplish.

It's the system argument alert.

Newsflash--EVERY TEAM HAS A SYSTEM.

That the Patriots have a system, and that in that system several older, highly successful players still play at a high level is not a negative as you seem to be portraying it to be. Old men Seau and Bruschi combined for 17 tackles last week. Old man Rodney had 7 tackles, 3 passes defensed and an INT.

3 older players on the defense does not make the defense old.

3 older players on the defense that account for 24 tackles 3 PDs and an INT do not make for a liability.

The 'old defense' argument is hollow.

----------------

Whose system is it? BB
Who is trying to disrupt it? Norv Turner

Does anything else really need to be said?

Look:

Jamal Williams - injured - will play but will only be 50% or so
Phillip Rivers - injured - may play but will only be 50% or so
LD - injured - will play but will only b4e 70% or so
Gates - injured - may play a few snaps but will only be a decoy
Merriman - injured - will play but will not be 100%

That's 5 Pro-Bowl players who will be of limited ability. The rest of the team is banged up from having to play 2 tournament games and fly all over the place. The Bolts are a great team but they just haven't had the luck with injuries that you need to make it to the "Show".

It's too bad because I would like to see them against the Pats when they are at full strength (I'm discounting September because of coaching issues on the Bolts)

The end result is that they are going to hang with the Pats for about the first half and then collapse. No shame in that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes