PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Comp picks: Pats get a 4th, 6th

Don’t even understand why injuries factor into the formula. It’s not like the original team chose not to re-sign him because he was going to get hurt the following year. The huge contract they lost him over is totally unrelated to the mid season injury he suffered 6+ months later. And that’s only in the first year of a big multi-year deal. Doesn’t make any sense to me.

LA Chargers may ruin JC Jackson's career with the way they handled his injury. He had surgery and was on the field one week more than Mac's sprain.

Don’t even understand why injuries factor into the formula. It’s not like the original team chose not to re-sign him because he was going to get hurt the following year. The huge contract they lost him over is totally unrelated to the mid season injury he suffered 6+ months later. And that’s only in the first year of a big multi-year deal. Doesn’t make any sense to me.
To be perfectly honest, I don’t understand why there are comp picks to begin with in a league where there’s a salary cap and a salary floor.

They're going to amend the rules next year and give us an eighth round comp pick for losing Isaiah Wynn
You forgot one word "conditional" of him actually playing three games in row. :rolleyes: Amazing how some many moons ago tried to Defend the pick when he was an obvious Bust!

The formula is about 90% contract value and 10% playing time, with a small adjustment for All-Pros.

It's similar to how the NFL rewards day 2/3 rookies like Onwenu and Dugger who become regular contributors.

Most importantly, it's not a secret formula anymore: it's explicitly spelled out in the CBA.

I expect one trade up between rounds 1-3. No exceptions!

Unless one of Paris Johnson, Broderick Jones, Devon Witherspoon, Christian Gonzalez & maybe Joey Porter Jr is still available at #14, then I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade-down before a trade-up.

Last edited:
Pretty big advantage to teams getting a 3rd round compensation for each minority coaching or GM hire by another team. I think this should be a huge incentive and hope the Patriots try to get in on this action by hiring qualified minority coaches and GM's.
SF cleaned up.

We should be able to Target very good players with the extra picks.
The 4th is like a mid 5th rounder with all the extra 3rd round compensation picks they handed out.
The 6th is like a mid 7th rounder, same reason.
5th and 7th rounders are kind of long shots to even make the team usually.
I think these are unlikely to help.

However when you get & compensation picks like SF did, by sheer volume of picks they are likely to hit on one or two.

Pretty big advantage to teams getting a 3rd round compensation for each minority coaching or GM hire by another team. I think this should be a huge incentive and hope the Patriots try to get in on this action by hiring qualified minority coaches and GM's.
SF cleaned up.
The problem is that they have to be coordinators or high-ranking FO positions.

Right now,.for example, if someone hired Mayo this off-season the Pats would not get comp picks because he's not officially the DC.

The problem is that they have to be coordinators or high-ranking FO positions.

Right now,.for example, if someone hired Mayo this off-season the Pats would not get comp picks because he's not officially the DC.
Looking at the rule, I believe you’re incorrect.

It's compensation for drafting well, and losing players because a team can not keep everyone.

The real motivation behind comp picks is by adding more picks,the league adds more cost-effective players to the labor pool. More rookies get drafted and more mid/low-tier FAs need to reduce their asking price.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back