PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Comical British Article on American Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soccer is much more tame than it once was in England. There is a new breed of "fan" who has no sense of the identity and history. They want to be "entertained" and don't join in the songs. I could REALLY start ranting at this point...

Couldn't agree more. I love Sky's coverage of the game, and I think they deserve a thankyou for how they've contributed to the growth of the Premier League, but they're largely responsible for the new generation of fan too, especially with shows like Soccer AM (which I love).

I also think the fact that stadiums are now all-seater, has contributed to it in a big way. You just don't get the camaraderie and spontaneity any more.

I would probably need an article like that to understand rugby.

Rugby's easy to follow.

Cricket however, is a different matter all together.

Al you min ee um

Actually, I have to stand up for our British colleagues here--it's not what they did to aluminum, it's what we Americans did to aluminium. [We're the heathens, so to speak, on "aluminum." But it's even, since they're behind the times with that whole "sulphur" thing.]

What the heck is hurling? Projectile vomitting for distance (or accuracy)?

Hurling is an Irish sport with a small ball and a very large stick. I think it's a bit of a cross between lacrosse and (field) hockey.

Don't you like our less slapstick stuff, like the Office, Little Britain and so on?

i love the office but what got me into British comedies were Are you being served and Mr bean.

Hurling is an Irish sport with a small ball and a very large stick. I think it's a bit of a cross between lacrosse and (field) hockey.

See, that's my point. Everybody in this country knows what soccer is. I would guess over 25% of Americans 35 and younger have played it in their youth. You mention "soccer" to somebody, and they think of people running around on a field trying to kick a round ball into a goal. The reason soccer has not caught on in the US (or Canada) is NOT due to a lack of familiarity.

I'm guessing (and the Loyal Subjects can chime in here) that maybe 90% of the UK does not know even the basic Xs and Os of Football, American style. I should have said Lacrosse instead of hurling. Very few Americans know the rules of Lacrosse, but once they see it, they're hooked. It's a slow process, but I think this game which will watched as a curiosity by many in the Isles, could turn on thousands of people to the game.

Actually, I have to stand up for our British colleagues here--it's not what they did to aluminum, it's what we Americans did to aluminium. [We're the heathens, so to speak, on "aluminum." But it's even, since they're behind the times with that whole "sulphur" thing.]

not true,

By 1812, Davy had settled on aluminum, which, as other sources note, matches its Latin root. He wrote in the journal Chemical Philosophy: "As yet Aluminum has not been obtained in a perfectly free state."[17] But the same year, an anonymous contributor to the Quarterly Review, a British political-literary journal, objected to aluminum and proposed the name aluminium, "for so we shall take the liberty of writing the word, in preference to aluminum, which has a less classical sound."[18]

not true,

By 1812, Davy had settled on aluminum, which, as other sources note, matches its Latin root. He wrote in the journal Chemical Philosophy: "As yet Aluminum has not been obtained in a perfectly free state."[17] But the same year, an anonymous contributor to the Quarterly Review, a British political-literary journal, objected to aluminum and proposed the name aluminium, "for so we shall take the liberty of writing the word, in preference to aluminum, which has a less classical sound."[18]

<pedantry>My original point--which still stands--is that the British spelling of aluminium is actually the official spelling of the word (according to the organization chemists created to make such decisions); we Americans use a variant that is tolerated. Conversely, that organization agreed with us on sulfur, and allows sulphur as a variant.

[BTW--apparently, Davy didn't try hard enough, or was himself convinced, because aluminium it ended up being.]</pedantry>

Hey, at least I got some use out of the original article. My girlfriend asked me to explain football to her and I gave her a printout of it before entertaining any of her questions.

That probably saved me at least an hour of rambling half-answers interspersed with God only knows how many tangents.

I would probably need an article like that to understand rugby.

If you're interested, we could start a thread on Rugby in the general talk forum. Quite of few of the guys on here, including Americans, have played the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back