PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Comical British Article on American Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good one, but my favorite Briticism is "lieftenant" (=lieutenant).
Yeah, that's pronounced differently too "LEF-TENANT"

I left England when I was 12 so I speak "American" but my parents still use all the English versions, it drives me crazy :)

Hey look at this :

"Usage Note: In American usage, a collective noun takes a singular verb when it refers to the collection considered as a whole . . . In British English, singular words like family, team, government, which refer to groups of people, can be used with either singular or plural verbs and pronouns.

* This team is/are going to lose."

:)

Him, didn't know that one. I knew, faculty, class, and team were collective nouns. I'll look into that one...:)

I hope the Monarchs wears their kit with the badge in the centre for the match. It's my favourite.

This morning, my brother, who is a journalist from Skysports.com, interviewed Cam Cameron and Jason Taylor, as well as a couple of Dolphins officials, about the game with the Giants in October. (They are here in London for a publicity tour)

Aside from his comments that they were extremely pleasant to deal with - Taylor he found just about the most self-effacing professional athlete he has dealt with - and their genuine enthusiasm about being involved in the game, he had a couple of other comments.

First off, reading between the lines, he said that he got the impression that Cameron wasn't over optimistic that the Fins were ready to challenge in the East (although obviously he didn't say so in so many words) and that their best hope of the play-offs might be a Steelers 2005 sneak in at the last type of effort. The guy's really high on Ronnie Brown apparently and delighted to have Trent Green on board.

He asked Taylor about how he seemed to have the Indian sign over Brady, and he said he just felt that the match-ups for their D were particularly good with the Pats, and he refused to take the credit personally and said it was all about the guys around him.

I'll post the link up here when he publishes his piece in the next few days.

The thing that drove me nuts when I lived in England was how they always used the team name as a plural.
Hmmm... don't we do that here as well?

A headline should be "Arsenal Wins" as it's a singular subject but they always write "Arsenal Win". Drove me crazy - although that particular headline would be OK as that was my favorite team all those year ago.
Actually in almost all cases we here in the states use the team name as a plural; e.g. Patriots win. Virtually all our professional team names are plural also, e.g. Patriots, Giants, Hurricanes, or Red So[cks]x. So it makes sense that we use the plural form of the verb. Of course there are exceptions, mostly in the WNBA: Connecticut Sun, Chicago Sky and Seattle Storm come to mind, as well the NHL Tampa Bay Lightning.

Actually in almost all cases we here in the states use the team name as a plural; e.g. Patriots win. Virtually all our professional team names are plural also, e.g. Patriots, Giants, Hurricanes, or Red So[cks]x. So it makes sense that we use the plural form of the verb. Of course there are exceptions, mostly in the WNBA: Connecticut Sun, Chicago Sky and Seattle Storm come to mind, as well the NHL Tampa Bay Lightning.
You're right but if someone said Boston for the Red Sox they would say "Boston Wins" not "Boston Win". You are right, though, that the plural nicknames are usually used.

You're right but if someone said Boston for the Red Sox they would say "Boston Wins" not "Boston Win". You are right, though, that the plural nicknames are usually used.
I guess all we can conclude is that only consistent thing about English is its inconsistency!

edit: On second thought, Boston is singular, so Boston wins is also correct. In British English would you say "Boston win" because Boston is a collective noun, a city being a collection of people?

Last edited:
edit: On second thought, Boston is singular, so Boston wins is also correct. In British English would you say "Boston win" because Boston is a collective noun, a city being a collection of people?
Exactly, the American vs. British usage of a Collective Noun is different :D

:bricks:

This morning, my brother, who is a journalist from Skysports.com, interviewed Cam Cameron and Jason Taylor, as well as a couple of Dolphins officials, about the game with the Giants in October. (They are here in London for a publicity tour)

Aside from his comments that they were extremely pleasant to deal with - Taylor he found just about the most self-effacing professional athlete he has dealt with - and their genuine enthusiasm about being involved in the game, he had a couple of other comments.

First off, reading between the lines, he said that he got the impression that Cameron wasn't over optimistic that the Fins were ready to challenge in the East (although obviously he didn't say so in so many words) and that their best hope of the play-offs might be a Steelers 2005 sneak in at the last type of effort. The guy's really high on Ronnie Brown apparently and delighted to have Trent Green on board.

He asked Taylor about how he seemed to have the Indian sign over Brady, and he said he just felt that the match-ups for their D were particularly good with the Pats, and he refused to take the credit personally and said it was all about the guys around him.

I'll post the link up here when he publishes his piece in the next few days.

Taylor has a reputation as a really good guy. It makes it all the more frustrating that he hands us our arses on a regular basis. He was quite brilliant in the road game last year, as I am sure that most of us saw. The way that he moved across the line, in and out of the linebacking spots and so on was a real nightmare.

Yeah, thanks to Benny Hill and Mr. Bean

Don't you like our less slapstick stuff, like the Office, Little Britain and so on?

They started it. :mad::p.

I haven't yet been to an NFL game but I get the impression that most places aren't that raucous. I remember the old Dawg Pound, where Browns' fans threw dog biscuits on to the pitch. Cool! :rocker: I NEARLY became a Browns fan because of it but a mate had persuaded me to support the Pats.

Soccer is much more tame than it once was in England. There is a new breed of "fan" who has no sense of the identity and history. They want to be "entertained" and don't join in the songs. I could REALLY start ranting at this point...

That makes four Gcat posts in a row. I think it is time to stop. That's the danger in allowing my woman to go away on work jollies.

Last edited:
I doubt it.

Bring a Manchester United - Liverpool "football" game over here and see what a long lasting effect it has . . . not.

Actually, I did see the ManU-Liverpool match on TV recently. Don't know if it was a replay or a recent game, but it was as good a soccer game as I've ever seen. *Excellent* ball action, I've never seen such accuracy and timing executed so consistently and for such a long time. Now that I think of it, the game was a replay from early in the season (back in Feb or March) when both teams were digging to make their early marks for the season.

I wouldn't take it over a good NFL or college game, but for soccer it was something even novice soccer fans could enjoy.

Don't you like our less slapstick stuff, like the Office, Little Britain and so on?

They're both pretty good. Ricky Gervais is as dry as a desert but cuts like a razor, and those two guys in LB are a hoot most of the time.

That makes my point even more valid, I think. If I saw the soccer game it might peak my interest - Hurling ? I'd have a few beers while watching and leave saying "that was a funny game".

What the heck is hurling? Projectile vomitting for distance (or accuracy)?

I worked with several Brits who came to the US on work visas. They used to disparage American Football saying it had no continuity. After watching about his third game he remarked to all the others there, that there was a difference between American football and Rugby/Soccer football. Those were game so of endurance.

This was a game of explosion.

All the others watched and agreed. Then one by one, all became big football fans. On guy who used to disparaged American football most unmercifully, admitted after a year that when he watched a "Football Match" with Manchester U, it just wasn't the same; and he said he grew very bored.

Now he and the others all disparage "Football" in favor of the American football. They still refuse to call it Soccer though.

I would probably need an article like that to understand rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back